Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would LOVE to be able to sit in silence when I want and not when my neighbours decide to switch their horrendous music off... (OUCH I sound old!!! LOL) Moving to a detached place is not yet on the cards (as I am NOT old or wealthy yet! hehe)...

has anyone sound insulated their homes?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I used to be an acoustic engineer (sound reduction builder) It costs a small fortune to reduce the sound transmision from one house to the next , that is to do it properley , if you go for a cheep option it will only make a small amount of difference if any at all. Sorry :( . If the place next door is a council prop the best thing is to make alot of noise till they go to the council and complain then the council has to do the work in there house and pay for all of it. The down side is when you sell your house you would need to inform the possibile buyers that there has been problems with the neighbours and it might cost you the sale

Jim

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
my boss put up an extra stud wall to try and drown out the neighbours. Apparantly they were too noisy in the bedroom.
Not sure how well it worked though.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh well, will put up with it and hope that when we move, we have quieter neighbours...

cheers for advice!

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,140 Posts
I've tried to do something in a couple of rooms. I put up some 47x100mm timber studs at 400mm c/c fixed to the masonry party wall (9" solid brick). I then stuffed in as much high density rockwool insulation as possible (the heavy slabs that can stand up by themselves, not loft insulation). Then two layers of 12.5mm plasterboard and skim. Works a treat in my house, although my neighbours aren't really that noisy. you can buy special acoustic insulation, but it costs a fortune.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts