Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
what spark plug gaps should be used when using a pertronix 2 electronic ignition with a flamethrower coil ?
thanks anyone ? :D

·
Highly Respected Member
13,507 Posts
I went to 0.9mm plug gaps when I had my flamethrower on the standard pertronix. There seemed to be a slight inprovement in responsiveness over stock plug gaps on the same system. Without a dyno or RR test it's impossible to say for certain though.

When the flamethrower coil died a few months later, and then the replacement flamethrower died as well, I went back to the old Bosch coil and set the gaps back to stock. I suspect the flamethrower coils are sensitive to vibration, so if I ever had another I'd mount it on the bodywork instead of the tinware, or get the epoxy filled one.

Dave.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,678 Posts
Is it possible to use a coil from say a late '80s MK2 Golf in conjunction with pertronix. As don't they have a higher output than a stock aircooled one and then widen the plug gaps accordingly?

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
loose *** packet thickness

A larger gap might help if you are getting a bigger voltage at the points - I think all these fancy coils are snake oil (resonant circuit and all that) - I wouldn't bother.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts