Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok had a look around the net, are there any REAL sites that exist that anyone knows of to check if youve been caught by a camera? I overtook a bus on the stratford rd today and the camera was on the other side of the road and im sure there was no lines on my side but the bugger flashed, i didnt even see it tbh...think i was doing 40 and i gather its a 30. Just wanted to check but im pretty sure you cant can you?

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Ok had a look around the net, are there any REAL sites that exist that anyone knows of to check if youve been caught by a camera? I overtook a bus on the stratford rd today and the camera was on the other side of the road and im sure there was no lines on my side but the bugger flashed, i didnt even see it tbh...think i was doing 40 and i gather its a 30. Just wanted to check but im pretty sure you cant can you?
Whether you got caught depends on the camera type. Some work with traffic going towards them, others work as the traffic passes. Not all of them need lines painted on the road, either. Also, generally there's a tolerance of 10% of your speed plus one to four mph, depending on the county.

I've recently been caught by a camera van in Ipswich doing 49 in a 40, so three points and a £60 fine. It's a fair cop, I have no excuses, and I did know of the speed that I'd have been OK with, but if I did 49 in a 40 in South Yorkshire for example, I'd have got away with it as their tolerance is more lenient.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i decided to drive bk home that way and check, and deffo no white lines on the side i was on but there were in the 2 lanes of the opposite side. Im gutted lol iv never had points and dont want any either! any money tho it will have got me.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
i decided to drive bk home that way and check, and deffo no white lines on the side i was on but there were in the 2 lanes of the opposite side. Im gutted lol iv never had points and dont want any either! any money tho it will have got me.
Having markings on the road isn't the be all and end all, it could just be that they were for temporary use through roadworks, as is the case on some of the roads near me, they may have simply been left behind.

What type of camera was it? Assuming it was GATSO-type, what colour was it painted?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ye its just your average yellow speed camera, its been there ages aswel i just completely forgot it was there! i didnt realise they could get you from the front i always thought it was from behind as you went through....o well learn from your mistakes i guess

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
You maybe lucky and get a speed awareness course its a fiver more than the fine,but No points on your licence which is good and you don't have to tell insurance as its like it never happened :)
The course is pretty good and laid back too,just did one last month
Disperses a few myths about speed cameras too :)

Be Lucky..

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
ye its just your average yellow speed camera, its been there ages aswel i just completely forgot it was there! i didnt realise they could get you from the front i always thought it was from behind as you went through....o well learn from your mistakes i guess
If it was an average speed camera it's based on distance/time so you'd need to go past more than one camera at that speed. Also, they don't flash because they're infra-red. Probably just caught a reflection off another car, it happens quite a lot :)

Edit: Apologies, read it wrong. Though for it to be a successful prosecution it should flash twice if you're heading towards it.

I know too much about speed cameras :lol:

·
Registered
14,513 Posts
if it's 'your average Gatso' then it can't get you coming towards it, they need the white lines on the road to verify your speed.

If it's a Truvelo (front facing) it can get you but I'm pretty sure they have to be on your side of the road.

Average speed cameras look a lot different and as a rule don't flash.

we have a Gatso just down the road from us on a dual carriageway and if you position your car just right, doing a certain speed, you can set it off driving towards it - of course by the time it's taken the picture, you are long gone and all they get is a picture of the empty road :)

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
If it was on the Stratford Road its a gatso. Not home office approved for forward facing enforcement :D

They sometimes trigger when a vehicle goes towards them but you cant be prosecuted so dont worry about it.

The forward facing ones dont flash when they get you for obvious reasons.

T

·
Registered
670 Posts
another thing to look out for is how long it takes for them to notify you,
14 days is the max ,i got caught in poole 3 years ago and they took 16 days to notify me,i wrote back and stated the facts ,they tried to wrangle round it but end of the day the law states 14 days and they have to use recorded or registered post
they used standard first class post so had no record of when it was delivered .
in the end i nominated a magistrates court and a date that i would like to fight out with them and to this day i have not heard a thing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts