Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just taken my Type I out, after a decade of being stored in my garage.
Everything that needed renewing has been renewed, brakes, oil, gearbox oil etc.

The Speedo doesn't seem to be working, it's stuck at 15mph.
Also, the fuel gauge has a mind of it's own, floating from side to side.

Should I source a replacement speedo, or is there something that can be done to help?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
Try disconnecting the speedo cable from the back of the instrument, and tap the speedo casing to see if the needle moves back to 0, it could just be slightly 'sticky' in there.
If it doesn't move, it is likely to be seized internally. Can often be repaired but it is a delicate instrument, so handle with care.
If the needle drops to 0, check the cable for damage, or internal rust, if OK reconnect the cable and try it on the road.
What year is the car ? 6 volt or 12 volt ? (i.e does it have a separate mechanical fuel gauge, or an electric gauge inside the Speedo ?).
The old mechanical gauges do float about a bit, electrical gauges (12 volt), can do that too, if the stabiliser has failed.
Replacement stabilisers are available, Fuel Gauge Voltage Regulator: 113957099A | Heritage Parts Centre UK but check the gauge is working reasonably accurately when the car is not moving, before buying a new stabiliser.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bada Ben, the car is a '71 12 volt with the fuel gauge inside the speedo; will try disconnecting and giving it a tap. Thanks

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
The speedo needle is a floating type of needle. It's tiny shaft is held in place to a wee bronze bush and the other end of the shaft is connect to a steel cup. The speedo cable rotates magnets within the steel cup and it's the magnetic drag that moves the steel cup to show the speed. So if it's stuck at 15mph then most likely the wee shaft is frozen. Hopefully tapping it will release it but otherwise disassembly will be required.

For the fuel gauge you should go searching for Speedy Jims webpage and his replies on here. Did a detailed expo of the gauge a fair few times. The 'stabiliser' is nothing more than a zener diode to drop the input voltage down to around 5V from memory. Floating would mean the voltage isn't holding steady. Could be an old sender with oxidation build up on it causing the resistance to vary. You can check the 'stabiliser' by disconnecting and placing multimeter between it's output and ground. It should have a steady voltage with engine running. Also check your 12V feed has a stable voltage too just in case regulator is starting to play up in generator/alternator. Should also check the resistance range of teh sender by removing from tank and moving the float from empty to full and see if the resistance changes smoothly and then last thing is ensure the senders earth is nice and clean and wires are in good condition.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the cable off from the rear and gave the Speedo a tap... the needle fell back to Zero!
There doesn't look to be any damage or rust on the cable, so I reconnected it. As soon as I took off, the needle froze again.
The fuel gauge has a mind of it's own; I put some petrol into the tank, and the needle went (very slowly) to the half way mark.

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
So maybe some WD40 on the needles shaft and manually rotating the needle back n forth will remove whatever tarnish/oxidation has built up. requires the front bezel to be carefully prised off the steel housing.
As for the fuel gauge you need to carry out the checks already mentioned to try and fix/fault find it.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
I took the cable off from the rear and gave the Speedo a tap... the needle fell back to Zero!
There doesn't look to be any damage or rust on the cable, so I reconnected it. As soon as I took off, the needle froze again.
Looks like the speedo mechanism is just a bit 'sticky', needs to be opened-up and checked.
You don't need to drive the car to test the speedo, a matchstick fits in the square drive instead of the cable, spin the matchstick between your fingers and watch the speedo needle

The fuel gauge has a mind of it's own; I put some petrol into the tank, and the needle went (very slowly) to the half way mark.
What did you expect the needle to do ? Do you know how much fuel is now in the tank ? Max capacity is 40 litres, if you now have 20 in there, it would seem about right.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Looks like the speedo mechanism is just a bit 'sticky', needs to be opened-up and checked.
You don't need to drive the car to test the speedo, a matchstick fits in the square drive instead of the cable, spin the matchstick between your fingers and watch the speedo needle

What did you expect the needle to do ? Do you know how much fuel is now in the tank ? Max capacity is 40 litres, if you now have 20 in there, it would seem about right.
So maybe some WD40 on the needles shaft and manually rotating the needle back n forth will remove whatever tarnish/oxidation has built up. requires the front bezel to be carefully prised off the steel housing.
As for the fuel gauge you need to carry out the checks already mentioned to try and fix/fault find it.
Whatever you do do not use WD40 on your speedo, it is the kiss of death. Use some methylated spirits or similar for cleaning and the least amount of light machine oil to lubicate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts