Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedo on the bug is less than reliable. about 5mph out on a town road and around 9 or 10 on a motorway.

In the veeeeeetara i assume the speedo is correct.

now, the satnav tells me i am doing less speed than the car.

it said i was doing 58 and i was doing about 64 on the speedo.

which would be more accurate?

i just assumed there might be some lag on the satnav due to it having to calculate from my moving position but someone else said the satnav is more likely to be correct.

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
Volks-Widow said:
My speedo on the bug is less than reliable. about 5mph out on a town road and around 9 or 10 on a motorway.

In the veeeeeetara i assume the speedo is correct.

now, the satnav tells me i am doing less speed than the car.

it said i was doing 58 and i was doing about 64 on the speedo.

which would be more accurate?

i just assumed there might be some lag on the satnav due to it having to calculate from my moving position but someone else said the satnav is more likely to be correct.
stick with the sat nav..........speedo's are notoriously inaccurate, on the lower side :)

what i meant to say was...if yours says 64....it can be up to 10% out...usually on the side of caution.

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
see i thought that was a crazy idea that my speedo would be so much out. how have i not got speeding tickets! then again if i'm crawling around 10% slower than i think i'm on the safe side....

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I noticed this too, all my cars speedos seemded to be 5-10mph out compared to what the sat nav was saying. but I never really wanted to take the GATSO test :D

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
I have Garmin gps thingy, it showed me that the speedo on the bike was 5% @ 30, 7% @70 and 15% @ XXXXXXX You do have to do about 2-3 miles at a steady speed to get an accurate reading though.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
The calibration sticker on the window in my coach says the limiter is set to dead on 62.5 m.p.h. (100kph) but my sat nav shows it cruising dead on 59mph for mile after mile. :hangloose

·
25 character limit is cra
6,631 Posts
Just because the car is new, doesn't mean the speedo is accurate either.

It's about 4mph out at 70mph on our Mitsubishi Galant, but only 1mph out on the Beetle from 50-90mph. Of course there's no way of reading the numbers on the GPS when you're going any faster in a Beetle anyway :crazy:

I'm sure my bike speedo is way out. There's no way I was doing 150mph on it this morning, officer

:)

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:lol: the beetle speedo isn't right anyway so i have to drop to below the speedo reading or sat nav reading if i am in a 30-50 limit where there are cameras as i have no idea which is less likely to get me a ticket :D

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I was really pleased once when I managed to hit an indicated 85mph in my bay, but was a little confused that everything else was still going way faster than me. My mate glanced at the satnav, which was showing a slightly more conservative 65mph :eek:. Just a touch out then!

Then the engine blew up and it all became irrelevant

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Yup all speedo's are out by a certain percentage, sat nav's are just accurate to i dunno what degree but there good.

We were off down to newquay and i think as the speed gets higher it becomes more innacurate because it said we were doing 110mph on the clocks and sat nav said we was doing 96mph

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Speedo's are always out by about 5/10% lower. Speedos always over gauge at low speeds.

From what I remember the speedo is out to allow for faults and it's better for it to over gauge than under gauge.

I usually follow what the TomTom says at lower speeds but at about 70 the tomtom and speedo are usually only about 5% out.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Just as everyone has said on here, speedo's are way out 5 to 10% from the factory.

The speedo also has things like rolling resistance to factor into the equation.

GPS does have a little lag, and is not as quick to react to changes in speed, but is very very accurate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts