Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into what heater channels are available for my split bug.

So far I have found 'Oval' ones at Status

Brazilian ones at Wolfsbug west, which look fairly correct with no heater tube and no late model hump but they are Brazilian.

Then there is the usual pre 67 channel or adapting a Genuine VW Mexico channel.

Anyone know what else is available for early bugs or want to comment on the Status heater channels.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have the Status ones in my '63 and '67, I didn't fit them as I can't weld, but I was informed that they are a decent-ish fit. They are the same pattern as the later ones so need the lump from the later heater outlet smoothing. They are a lot cheaper and easier to find than NOS. Depends on how much you want to spend on your Bug. I'd prefer NOS ones or a Bug that doesn't need ew channels but you cant have everything.

Hope this helps

:)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love to see some NOS heater channels for a Split but looking would be all my wallet would allow me to do, I think, judging by the prices of other Split parts.

I'll give Status a ring see what makes the early heater channels twice the price of the standard ones, what I was hoping for was for someone to come up with a source for early heater channels that are better than the Klokkerholm ones.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The heater channels, that are in there, look to have been repaired several times and I am pretty sure they are not the originals. I have some other work to do around the heater channel area so I thought I may as well do the job right and do it once.

I'll see what I can find on the Samba forum, I have had a look before, I just didn't fancy posting pics of my wreck of a Split, as there seems to be a lot of purists there.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I am tempted to use a mexican channel and modify it to look like an earlier one then use a Hooky bottom plate, that way the channel should be a decent fit and be made from thicker steel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts