Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok the blurb says aids removal of spring plate when lowering, but what does it really do how does it work & fit and is it worth getting?

I've lowered a number of bugs and type 3's at the rear but never a bay (the next one i'm about top attempt) the issue i always have is getting the spring plate back on, will this tool help that?

cheers all.

·
Registered
15,051 Posts
I've used one. It's basically just a G-clamp that goes over the top of the rear chassis arm and below the springplate. It helps to control the release of tension when the springplate is levered off it's seat.

I guess it could help to bring the tension back up at reassembly but I've never lowered anything moderately enough to need it.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
seeing as youre concerned with a Bus.... not a bug....

i think Tom meant to add...

that tool is used mainly on T1 based models.. because the bolt it hooks onto isnt present on a bay...

its very good for raising back up and for "hardcore" types who like to raise the rear suspension even further...

bottom line... Bays are easy.. once youve done one.... youll realise theres FAR less tension on the plate... its easy to lever off and even easier to put back on if youre lowering... youre only problem "normally" is if the splined ends are rusted on...

a good smear of copper grease on the splines when reassembling is a good thing imho...

good luck:)

·
Registered
15,051 Posts
Well spotted qwan, I missed that he's working on a bay. :hangloose

I seem to remember it was your tool that we used on my bug the first time. :)

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahah cheers qwan, i was assuming that bay's being heavier than bugs/1303's/type 3's would have more tension and therefore be the biggest pain to lever back up. i have to say the biggest prob i had was with the fasty and that was the ONLY time i'll ever raise suspension :D i had a good excuse tho the extra weight of the type 4 2lt lump mean the back end nearly sat on the 16" cups :bandit:

·
Registered
711 Posts
qwan said:
seeing as youre concerned with a Bus.... not a bug....

i think Tom meant to add...

that tool is used mainly on T1 based models.. because the bolt it hooks onto isnt present on a bay...

its very good for raising back up and for "hardcore" types who like to raise the rear suspension even further...

bottom line... Bays are easy.. once youve done one.... youll realise theres FAR less tension on the plate... its easy to lever off and even easier to put back on if youre lowering... youre only problem "normally" is if the splined ends are rusted on...

a good smear of copper grease on the splines when reassembling is a good thing imho...

good luck:)
Ive just done my split bus and was prepared for a massive amount of tension...as per article on bugs... and was underwhelmed to the point that I thought something was wrong...now I know why!!

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Tomarse said:
Well spotted qwan, I missed that he's working on a bay. :hangloose

I seem to remember it was your tool that we used on my bug the first time. :)
not guilty... i dont posses one of those devices....

however, i know a man who does.... he owns a green car....

i believe he finds it useful cos he increases the tension until it is bad... you dont want your fingers in the way when a 27mm torsion bar slips...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts