Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bus is still of the road awaiting engine but seem to remember that it had horendous squeaky front brakes on braking that I could not cure.
It has standard brakes all round.
I tried new pads.
I fitted shims behind the pads.
and I copper greased everthing
And they still squeaked.
Any ideas.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I'm confused. If it's an early bay with standard brakes it would have drums. So what is fitted?

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
You seem to have tried all the usual things.
Did you put a little grease on the pad sliding contact faces top and bottom?
Are the discs grooved (worn) with rust ridges on the inner/outer circumferences?
Some cheap replacement discs squeal no matter what you do.
Sometimes a softer pad set can help with stock discs. What brand did you fit?
Wheel bearing clearance spot on?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You seem to have tried all the usual things.
Did you put a little grease on the pad sliding contact faces top and bottom?
Are the discs grooved (worn) with rust ridges on the inner/outer circumferences?
Some cheap replacement discs squeal no matter what you do.
Sometimes a softer pad set can help with stock discs. What brand did you fit?
Wheel bearing clearance spot on?
yes greased all contact/ slide points.
Discs are like new.
Wheel bearings good with no play.
Standard Pads fitted (cant remember make) Not cheap ones!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Discs fitted to the van when i brought it. have fitted new pads. could it be caused by th discs then?

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
A long time ago there was a batch of discs from South America that were incompatible with any type of brake pad. :( Lots of 'big names' supplied them because of course they were cheap to buy in, but they all had to be replaced under warranty. That has made me suspicious of any disc from an unknown source. I don't know which ones I would buy now, I'd have to see what was available and where it was manufactured.
I've never had any squealing problems with Jurid pads (originally VW supplied), except on those SA discs, :) although the flavour of the month seems to Pagid now, again VW OE.
As your parts are in such good condition perhaps it would be best to try some different anti-squeal stuff first. You can get self adhesive pads that stick on the back of the brake pads, or spray-on paste that you leave to dry tacky and then fit the pads. At least that would be a cheap thing to try.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,673 Posts
yes greased all contact/ slide points.
Discs are like new.
Wheel bearings good with no play.
Standard Pads fitted (cant remember make) Not cheap ones!
There needs to be a little play in the front wheel bearings. Don't ask me the exact figure, but there should be some. I'm sure some bright spark will inform me of the correct amount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts