Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've (as in me and wife) have put loads of these together over the past few months / years and made them available via EBay and our own (basic) web-site etc......

What do you lot make of this sort of thing..?

Are we doing a good thing..?

Could we grow into more areas..?

What would you like to see..?

Latest kit as below : More to come :

All stainless steel and subject to a real 'taste test' on our own Beetle, as featured on our web-site.

(no for sale in chat/discussion)

Lots more kits on the way including a FULL resto package for the Beetle, Karmann Ghia bumper kits for late and early bumpers plus a new range of Bay Van Kits....wey-hey.!

All borne out of passion for air-cooled VW's in our little corner of England.! :hug:

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
1) I see your chassis to body bolt up kit - could you do something similar for a SWB buggy with a 3" body lift (i.e. bolts 3" longer, and fewer, I suppose) if I let you know how many holes I've got now ?

2) "Rear Torsion Beam Cover" kit - will this fit / can you do this with bolts long enough for a dual spring plate IRS back end (not sure what its from originally as its on the buggy)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
An early bay bumper kit would be nice, ended up buying beetle kits + seperate stainless bolts. Seems kinda insane its taken anyone this long to think supplying stuff for bays might be an idea :)

Regards
Stodge

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's took a while to get organised what with one thing and another.
X-post from ForSale Forum - just launched this two minutes ago

We can now offer a full set of kits in the format of a FULL nuts+bolts restoration kit for the VW Beetle.

1 of on 10 day auction to test the market here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220033456362&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:UK:11

10 of in the Ebay Shop for those that want it ASAP :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220033456351&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:UK:11

Chassis and engine kits are available via our web-site and EBay shop also.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CheekyMonkey said:
1) I see your chassis to body bolt up kit - could you do something similar for a SWB buggy with a 3" body lift (i.e. bolts 3" longer, and fewer, I suppose) if I let you know how many holes I've got now ?

The stanard bolts are 25mm. How does 75mm long bolts sound to you..? Thats our longest at the moment in the M8 thread size.

Drop us a line at [email protected] (our easiest to remember e-mail address) or PM us here if this sounds OK. We can do a good deal on these for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stodge said:
An early bay bumper kit would be nice, ended up buying beetle kits + seperate stainless bolts. Seems kinda insane its taken anyone this long to think supplying stuff for bays might be an idea :)

Regards
Stodge
I have the raw data to start putting some Bay Van kits together, including the early bumper kit :hangloose

If you want to volunteer to try out a prototype then mail me at [email protected] or PM me here and we'll sort you out a set at a significant discount. :)

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
HairyYeti said:
The stanard bolts are 25mm. How does 75mm long bolts sound to you..? Thats our longest at the moment in the M8 thread size.
d'oh ! Nowhere near long enough mate - need 3" more than the norm, so I guess min 100mm total

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CheekyMonkey said:
d'oh ! Nowhere near long enough mate - need 3" more than the norm, so I guess min 100mm total
We could order a box of them in special if we had a customer.
A float of parts like these is always handy. :)

I'll look into the cost of it.

Would Hexagon heads or Allen Key type heads be preferred for this..?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Got my full bus resto kit off you plus the pop out kits and samba trim screws and im as happy as a pig in the proverbial :D

Hopefully they,ll all be fitted on the wifes birthday prezzie before December :rolleyes:

Cheers Darren

·
Registered
34,511 Posts
CheekyMonkey said:

2) "Rear Torsion Beam Cover" kit - will this fit / can you do this with bolts long enough for a dual spring plate IRS back end (not sure what its from originally as its on the buggy)

Don`t ask me the scientific reason but you should use caution with S/S bolts in some shear situations-they aren`t always strong enough.

I only know this from fitting some to a race bike and having to remove them.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I used to sell these kind of kits on ebay a year or so ago, they did really really well until bastards started copying me (I'm NOT saying its you). All I'm saying is it won't be long till people copy you so don't invest too much money or you might get disapointed.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
dragster172 said:
Don`t ask me the scientific reason but you should use caution with S/S bolts in some shear situations-they aren`t always strong enough.

thanks - I was looking at the kit for the (not shown in the pic) torsion end cover though, not the bolts that join the spring plate to the A arm (is that what you thought I meant, or have I missed the point ?)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
typeoneman said:
I used to sell these kind of kits on ebay a year or so ago, they did really really well until bastards started copying me (I'm NOT saying its you). All I'm saying is it won't be long till people copy you so don't invest too much money or you might get disapointed.
Me and my brother started up on a small scale about 8 years ago.
Mainly in the USA though.
The past 3 /4 years I've been working-up my UK end of things.

There have been a few others out there doing similar things. I've not really kept track. But this is one of reasons the costs are so low : competition. The margins are slim. Once all of the time divides out the profits I'm probably on close to minimum wage for this (or less).

Luckily we've owned lots of VWs between us over the years so we've had access to lots of data : the diverse range helps out heaps.!

Luckily we're also both professional engineers (oddly both in Aerospace - but at different ends of the biz) so we know our stresses our strains and the general language of mechanically engineered parts and assemblies.

I maintain that I'm the better looking of the two of us though. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dragster172 said:

Spot-on that man.!!

In our FAQ we state that you should not use them on mechanically loaded components in the powertrain, steering and suspension due to the high average stresses and peak shocks. Big, big safety implications.

We are looking at offering high-tensiles in 10:9 or better for these areas in the future : just as soon as we clear our back-logs and get re-organised.
Not Stainless, I know. But useful as its advisable to refresh these bolts every twenty-five years or so due to corrosion and wear-out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts