Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This stems back to a problem I had a little while ago. You turn the ignition and you can hear the starter spinning but nothing engages with the flywheel. I assumed it was a knackered starter (that it just wasn't throwing out the starter pinion wheel) and replaced it with no improvement. I finally traced it back to the ignition switch which had a dicky conection on the back, this was replaced and everything worked no problem for a few weeks and then the same symptom appeared (starter spinning but not engaging).

It's been like this for some months now and it's getting worse, I would say that you need to turn the key three times and listen to the 'whirrrrrr' before the starter actually engages something on the 4th or so try.

Dosn't seem to be such a problem when the car has been running and you restart it hot though,

So any ideas?

·
25 character limit is cra
6,631 Posts
Is the starter bolted in correctly, both bolts done up tight?

Is it the right starter to match your flywheel?

Does your flywheel have any teeth on it? :eek:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes on all counts.

Can't vouch for the teeth on the flywheel, but I assume that if there where stripped teeth then you would have to manually turn the engine over to get it to the point that the starter can engage with some teeth so I dicounted this.

The odd thing is that as I said the new motor worked fine for a couple of weeks after repacing it but developed the same fault, so I'm wonering if it could be something electrical? The contacts are good on the back of the starter though, and as stated the ignition switch has been replaced, everything in the middle is something of an enigma which is why it's become a real head scratcher for me....

·
6,631 Posts
If the starter is turning then it's nothing electrical.

The most common reason for not engaging is loose starter bolts, one of them is the engine bolt so double check it hasn't come loose. If yours is an early engine you'll need a spanner in the engine bay and a socket on the starter bolt, later engines have the threaded part on the engine so you can just tighten from the starter.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll double check, may put the original starter back in which I assume is OK as the new one didn't seem to make any difference and maybe I'll knock or bump something along the way that fixes the problem. (!?*).
I never liked the sound of the new starter motor anyway, it sounds like your turning on a food processor when you start up, the old one had a low comfortable rumbley sound to it.

I must get out more....

·
6,631 Posts
If you take the starter out, check the condition of the teeth to see if they're damaged. Also shine a torch in and check the teeth on the flywheel. Feel them with your fingers and get someone to turn the engine with a spanner on the generator pulley while you look. Don't forget to take your fingers out when someone's turning the engine though :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Almost certainly it is the over-run clutch in the starter motor. Not to be confused with the engine to gearbox clutch. Peter Good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts