Volkszone Forum banner

Starter motor probs...how?

669 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  67' aKa RoboVw 
#1 ·
Ok, engine started making a strange noise. It sounded like a grinding noise bellhousing end.

So expecting the flywheel to be loose, the clutch to be screwed or the release bearing to be up the swanny i pulled the engine.

I found (see pic below)

Starter motor jammed on (didnt have a whineing noise at all) and shards of metal!

Now the starter motor is less than 6 months old, the gearbox is new as is the flywheel, clutch (stage kennedy). What the hell could have caused this? Is it just a genral failure or do the shards look suspicious like something was left in the bellhousing?

I am yet to pull the starter motor out.

See less See more
#2 ·
By the look of it the problem lies with the starter motor. Had a similar issue with non-VW car where the starter stayed engaged with the flywheel. That was a faulty starter motor but then it was a Nissan (company car). I would pull the starter motor off and check the solenoid as it may have stuck.

#3 ·
it might have been a ignition switch sticking/not returning keeping the starter on

just a thought as i once had a 181 do this on me needless to say i replaced the switch before it killed the starter :hangloose

#4 ·
i cant quite work out what is happening, are you saying the starter motor is staying on, or is it jammed and not turning.
If it is sticking on, check that the two live terminals on the starter aren't touching.
I did this once and when i tightened the nut it moved the connector round so it touched the other one = when you start the engine, and let go of the key, the starter keeps turning. I couldn't work out what was happening then noticed the burn marks on the two starter motor connectors!

#5 ·
Hi there unsure what has caused this but I bought a brand new starter motor and what would happened is sometimes it would start the engine other time would just wind other time would do nothing replaced the starter now works fine. Maybe a bad batch of starter motors?

#6 ·
doobyscoo said:
i cant quite work out what is happening, are you saying the starter motor is staying on, or is it jammed and not turning.
If it is sticking on, check that the two live terminals on the starter aren't touching.
I did this once and when i tightened the nut it moved the connector round so it touched the other one = when you start the engine, and let go of the key, the starter keeps turning. I couldn't work out what was happening then noticed the burn marks on the two starter motor connectors!
Starter moter shafts move fowards and engage the flywheel when the ignition is turned on. The starter gear is jammed in the forwards position (see pic) with or without the ignition on.
It will turn but will not go back when the ignition is turned off.

#7 ·
Ok got the starter motor out. The wireing was fine as were the attachment bolts /nuts.

The shards of metal make up a circle, like a bearing of some sort. It is the wrong type of metal for the gearbox caseing or the gearbox startermotor shaft bush.

Also the whole shaft on the startermotor is totally *ucked, all loose and it grinds when rotated.

Only a few months old too!

#9 ·
Clarkson46 said:
It will be loose and grind when out of the car as the front bearing is in the gearbox.
What!?

There is no bearing in the gearbox, just a bush!

It didn't grind before i put it in! It was smooth and the internals were not rattling about inside!

The metal shards i found were the pinion stop ring. For some reason this has shattered and allowed the shaft to travel too far, hence destroying the internals.

Anyone had experience of this happening?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.