Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there ive got a 1970 beetle with a steel sliding sunroof which slides back and forth ok but when you try to open/close it you have to push/pull it,or the winder handle just makes a grinding noise when turned....any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Had a similar thing just needed a good greasing up, also check that the small gear isn't worn. From memory you can buy replacements from Heritage ££££££!!!!!

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Yikes..! This brings back memories of continual messing around with a steel sunroof.

You may need new cables and/or cogs as it sounds like they are worn and slipping.

The amount of water that has entered into my neck whilst driving a Beetle with one of these makes me shudder - refreshing though sometimes it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys,ive already tried greasing the parts and it didnt do a thing so it must be worn parts that is causing the problem and they dont come cheep !!

Thanks anyway

·
Registered
48 Posts
If I remember right, I think there are two metal tabs that hold/press the cables against the gear. In either part 11 or 13 as per Moby's diagram. Make sure these haven't bent out of the way. This sometimes happens if the roof becomes jammed for whatever reason.

Gonna be naughty now........does anyone have a steel sunroof panel for sale to suit a 66? Can anyone advise me interchangeability between these panels?

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
neilneilorangepeel said:
If I remember right, I think there are two metal tabs that hold/press the cables against the gear. In either part 11 or 13 as per Moby's diagram. Make sure these haven't bent out of the way. This sometimes happens if the roof becomes jammed for whatever reason.

Gonna be naughty now........does anyone have a steel sunroof panel for sale to suit a 66? Can anyone advise me interchangeability between these panels?
I know somwone who may be persuaded to part with his 69 1300 beetle which has a working sliding steel sunroof. Car has no MOT and needs heater channels. He will be open to offers.

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
It will be item 17 in Moby's diagram or the cable as it engages.

In either case - you will need a new one for it to work smoothly. If you choos eto take it out - and it is easier than it first appears - put masking tape down to protect your paint as it slides forward.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts