Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my olduns commin off to make way for a better one what size socket is the nut/bolt in the center holdin the thing on (a 72 bug) if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
Yes, it does make a difference. :)
Up thru mid '74, the nut is 27mm.
Later cars use 24mm.

Tip: Loosen the nut, but don't remove all the way.
Rock the wheel as you pull toward you.
When it breaks loose, the nut will spare your front teeth. :D

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
well my olduns commin off to make way for a better one what size socket is the nut/bolt in the center holdin the thing on (a 72 bug) if that makes a difference?
Be careful over your choice of wheel if yours is a '72 as this was the year the wiper switch was relocated to a stalk on the steering column and VW consequently fitted a wheel with a deeper set hub to clear said stalk..........
Any wheel (subject to spline sizes of course :D) will fit as long as its got a deep hub, if you want to fit an earlier style half-moon hornring wheel for example you're in for bad news..........

;)

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its a d-ring one i want to fit is it possiable cos i really dont like the 1 i got

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
its a d-ring one i want to fit is it possiable cos i really dont like the 1 i got
Do you have a wiper switch on the dash or is there a stalk on the column?
If a stalk on the column I think you'll find that when you put the early wheel on the column splines and push it down the hub of the early wheel will foul the wiper stalk arm......:(
I think that if you cut off the wiper stalk arm and left an inch or so stump :eek: the early wheel would fit, but you'd have to have fingers as tough as the Bionic Man to operate the wipers :lol:.
Am not sure if it'd pass the MOT like that either........:rolleyes:.
Why not fit another style of wheel?
The Flat4 wheels all use a deep boss that will fit all years of Beetle, or if you prefer the old period look there are plenty of old wheels about, Jonny5 on here is (or was :D) clearing out some of his collection of old wheels!
I've got a Formula Vee wheel in mine, a dealer option wheel from the early 70's........

;)

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
na i bought the steering wheel already is there any other way or how can i put the indicater on the dash?

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its a 72 metal dash with the stalk in the coloumb

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
altough the 71 it came off had 1 stalk on the coloumb wich is the indicator if i remember right but mine has a window wiper stalk on there 2

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I've got a late model beetle with the two stalks on the column. I fitted a Moon-eyes wheel (black rim, steel spokes, dished - great looker) using a Grant adaptor that gives the correct clearance. I think I got it from Paintbox, but it took an age to arrive (months!) from the US.
You can always order them direct from the Mooneyes site if you want.
If not, I'm sure if you buy a couple of mags, and ring around the suppliers, they'll have the stuff you want.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wacks a piccy up then so i can see if its the right move?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.