Volkszone Forum banner

1901 - 1920 of 1960 Posts

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Meanwhile, the sunny weather this last weekend has brought my own 996 out of hibernation - happy days in the Cotswolds

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Looks lovely! Probably would have had amber indicators from the factory being an 'R'? Think mine should too.

I've been busy waving the spanners around on my 996. New discs and pads all round and a post-winter clean up under the arches, painting coil pack heat shields and disc backing plates etc.

Old discs looked perfect on the outside but were heavily pitted on the inner faces. Drew some funny looks changing them on the street in central London. :lol:

Few photos from an essential run in the sun today to bed in the brakes:

I've also added Thule aero bars to allow me to put my bike on the roof. That was a bit of a challenge in itself. The set screws in the mounting plates in the roof rails were knackered so I had to replace all the plates. This required removing the pillar trims and dropping the sides of the headliner! Bit fiddly but DIY-able.

·
Administrator
166,761 Posts
Looks lovely! Probably would have had amber indicators from the factory being an 'R'? Think mine should too.

I've been busy waving the spanners around on my 996. New discs and pads all round and a post-winter clean up under the arches, painting coil pack heat shields and disc backing plates etc.

Old discs looked perfect on the outside but were heavily pitted on the inner faces. Drew some funny looks changing them on the street in central London. :lol:

Few photos from an essential run in the sun today to bed in the brakes:

I've also added Thule aero bars to allow me to put my bike on the roof. That was a bit of a challenge in itself. The set screws in the mounting plates in the roof rails were knackered so I had to replace all the plates. This required removing the pillar trims and dropping the sides of the headliner! Bit fiddly but DIY-able.
Good work.

Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Yeah me too, unfortunately mine's blocked in behind a skip on my drive, looking filthy from that Sahara dust rain we had recently.

The RS4 I bought to take over daily duties from the 911 is also off the road, 5 months and a few thousand miles into ownership, due to a broken steering rack, nearly £3k for the replacement which is more than I spent on the 10 yr older double the mileage 911 over 3 years of use! Should have just stuck with the Porsche, which hasn't been off the road for repairs once! :crazy:

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
Happened to be close to an OPC yesterday and saw this beastie looking machine. No idea what (variation of 911) it is but it looked bloody gorgeous and I had epic want face.

·
Registered
17,101 Posts
Happened to be close to an OPC yesterday and saw this beastie looking machine. No idea what (variation of 911) it is but it looked bloody gorgeous and I had epic want face.

Cool! 992 Turbo Convertible by the looks of it. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
At the risk of opening a can of worms, has anyone had much experience of the Porsche Cayman?

I've been looking at 911's for a few weeks. My budget is somewhere between £13-18k (depending on if I sell my '65 beetle or keep it).

Typically that should get me a 20 year old 996 in reasonably good shape with a decent history, less than 100k miles and no obvious faults. I'm after a coupe with a manual gearbox ideally.

I've looked at and driven a couple, but keep being drawn to ad's for Cayman and Cayman S's for the same money, or frequently less. That sort of price buys a very good Cayman with half the miles and probably 5 years newer than a 996 of the same price.

So, have any of you boys and girls out there got or have had a Cayman? If so, what are your thoughts on them?

I've had a couple of Boxsters in the past, so have an expectation of what they might drive like, or are they a very different driving experience?

Not actually driven a Cayman (or even sat in one) yet, but a mate of mine had one and raved about how good it was.

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
At the risk of opening a can of worms, has anyone had much experience of the Porsche Cayman?

I've been looking at 911's for a few weeks. My budget is somewhere between £13-18k (depending on if I sell my '65 beetle or keep it).

Typically that should get me a 20 year old 996 in reasonably good shape with a decent history, less than 100k miles and no obvious faults. I'm after a coupe with a manual gearbox ideally.

I've looked at and driven a couple, but keep being drawn to ad's for Cayman and Cayman S's for the same money, or frequently less. That sort of price buys a very good Cayman with half the miles and probably 5 years newer than a 996 of the same price.

So, have any of you boys and girls out there got or have had a Cayman? If so, what are your thoughts on them?

I've had a couple of Boxsters in the past, so have an expectation of what they might drive like, or are they a very different driving experience?

Not actually driven a Cayman (or even sat in one) yet, but a mate of mine had one and raved about how good it was.

All I ever hear is how good they are. Might be worth heading over to 911uk forum as there are a fair few on there with more experience of them.

·
Registered
17,101 Posts
No experience... used to see a Cayman R parked at my local gym, always thought it looked pretty cool. :)

1901 - 1920 of 1960 Posts