Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the section in front of the screen - I was going to use Evostick contact adhesive but after reading the sunroof thread would hot glue gun be: as good, neater, better suited?

I have both so no probs either way

should I key the paint slightly? for either?

:)

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
only probs with mexi seals is they dont seal the window scuttle panel just the bonnet lip
i would personally stick it down with soming like silkoset or tiger seal

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
only probs with mexi seals is they dont seal the window scuttle panel just the bonnet lip
i would personally stick it down with soming like silkoset or tiger seal
Good point but my bug has its seal (original to the car) stuck with glue to the topes of the front 1/4s and even after being in a dry garage for a few weeks there was water sat underneath there! ;)

·
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers guys

I have the mexi seal, the bit I'm about to stick on is the scuttle panel section

I think I'll go with the evostick

:)

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
unfortunately these areas are rust traps and whether glued or held in with the original method water collects there you just have to ensure its cleaned and dried reguarly!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I posted a very similar thread some time ago and was told that if you're using a mexi seal plugging the three little holes at either side of the scuttle was sufficient as the contour of the front lip of the scuttle was enough to stop any water getting under the hood - haven't tried it though....!

·
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I posted a very similar thread some time ago and was told that if you're using a mexi seal plugging the three little holes at either side of the scuttle was sufficient as the contour of the front lip of the scuttle was enough to stop any water getting under the hood - haven't tried it though....!
in theory - yes
in practice - no

;)

·
Highly Respected Member
13,557 Posts
I haven't had a seal on the scuttle panel since 1990 on my beetle, mexican seal only and I haven't had any problems with water getting in under the bonnet. However my car always gets washed by hand, I expect if you pointed a jetwash at it you would probably be able to get water underneath, but normal washing / weather / driving never caused me any issues. It lives outside 24 / 7 in the almost desert like conditions of deepest Lancashire.

As mentioned before, you need to have the 3 holes at each side blocked up whatever happens otherwise your hinge pillars will rot out in no time. If the car had an air box fitted then the 3 holes in the middle also need to be sealed up.

Dave.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts