Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think i maybe gradually being poisened by carbon monoxide.

or at least mentally scarred wondering whether i am or not.

it alternates between smells of petrol, oil, fumes etc.

where does this smell usually leak in from....? the engine is at the back of the car for gods sake, you'd think the whiff would be lost in the wind... :mad:

i noticed that there is no seal around the large piece of tinware that houses the fan tubes, is this part of the problem?

also, the engine sound deadening material on the side of the engine bay are touching the tinware in places, and look to be melting the tarred surface in some places, but try as i might, i cant force it into a position where it does not touch, is it worth cutting it back?

is there any other likely causes of stench? or is this just what you should expect from a VW! my last dub stank as well.... :(

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
The stink could be many things. Holes in the heat exchangers would explain the oil and fumes smell.
Nex exchangers are the only option, or lose the heating by having the cables disconnected.

Petrol smell is likely to be filler neck tube leaking or breather pipe worn. Replace the breather pipe and see if this cures it.

The seals on the tinware are essential for proper running temperatures. You should get that seen to, it will probably involve the engine out to fit a new seal (in my experience) The tarboards are fine touching the tin, but it shouldnt be getting hot enough to melt it. More likely to just be some rubbing. I wouldn't worry too much if it is just rubbing. There are some metal spikes to keep it attached so be careful if getting your hands down there.

Al

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was planning to replace the exchanges, just to be on the safe side.

so jobs list is:

new exchangers,
new breather pipe
filler neck tube.

ill get a pic of the missing seal to show you which bit i mean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts