Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My splits got a 68 beam up front - although its still has drums up front.

It was lowered a few years back by cutting and twisting the beam.

I've always thought that the passengers side wheel never looked quite right, but wasn't able to understand why.

I've now fitted a pair of dropped spindleswhich widen the track by about 1 cm on each side.

I can now see that the edge of the wheel rim on the passenger side sticks out further than the one on the drivers side! :eek:

Even with 175 smart car tyres on, they foul the arches, and its not that low! :rolleyes:

What would cause this? Could it be that the arms aren't pushed far enough in on the offending side? If so, that sounds pretty dangerous! :mad:

What would be the simplest way to check this? :(

I'm going to have to fit 145's for the time being, but was hoping not to have to fork out on getting the beam narrowed. :rolleyes:

·
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please explain.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
bad body repair accident damage repair?

·
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt Black. said:
bad body repair accident damage repair?
Possibly.

Before I fitted the new spindles, the passenger side wheel always seemed to have a bit of neagtive camber. Just a touch, but enogh that I noticed it (others wouldn't).

I think it may be to do with the torsion leaves.

·
Registered
25,413 Posts
you'll probably find that most beetles are like that! The front always appears to be further out on the left - just not as noticeable at standard height with stock wheels, but as soon as things start getting closer it becomes apparent.*

this isn't to say that you should check everything - since the beam on yours has been altered, there's no guarentee it isn't fubar'd

the negataive camber could just be down to adjustment at the camber nuts - possibly 'over' adjusted to compensate for previous clearance issues. Worn torsion leave would affect the camber of your front wheels! A bent beam would however!

*EDIT: just re-read and noticed you talking about a Bus :eek: so my answer isn't all that relevant. I'll leave it up though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts