Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to find out if my 165/50 tyres will stretch over my 7" wide alloys. and also what width tyres should i get for my 6" alloys for the stretched look? thought of 145's?

do i need to run inner tubes? and if so where do i get them?
do the tyres stretch over on the rim? ive heard that they would need to be sent away to be stretched by someone first?

thanks for any info or help

mei :hangloose

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
The appropriate size rim for a 165 width tyre is 5" -6" wide. Anything outside these sizes is not reccomended as the tyre will not seat properly. Likewise, a 145 width tyre should not really sit on a rim wider than 5.5"

Putting a tyre on too wider rim, will cause a harsh ride as the trye wall will not have enough curvature to do it's job. Apart from that, should the tyre be stretched too much on too wide a rim, there is a possibillity that the trye will actually detatch from the rim under heavy load. This could be under cornering or braking or simply something as simple as catching a curb.

On solution to the probem might be to look at various different tyre makes. It's surprising just how much difference there is in the actual shape different manufacturers tyres are. Some, although the same size, may appear to give the "stretched" look, better than others.

The best option I'd guess is to go and ask the opinion of a number of reliable tyre fitters and see what you come back with. All warnings and technical factors aside, the lowrider community have been doing the same thing or years, so there must be a certain amount of "leeway" in the reccomendations.

Just go careful and remember if you are trying to use a product outside of it's reccomended boundaries, you may experience problems or safety issues.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
waw thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this, im alot clearer now in what to do, thanks alot bud :)
all the best

mei :hangloose

1 - 5 of 5 Posts