Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam going to be stripping down my pedal assembely as both the clutch and brake stick down when I press them and I have to lift them up with my foot, they dont stick down all the way so I just think it might need a bit of grease! i have tried spraying wd40 but it didnt work. Has anyone had this problem before and do you think it might be more than needing a bit of grease also if anyone has any tips that would be great. :)

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,995 Posts
its fairly straight forward to strip, clean, regrease and reassemble especially if you've got a haynes if not Moby posted a diagram recently of an exploded pedal assembly. As always reassembly is the reversal of disassembly
:)

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
LukeDuke said:
....... i have tried spraying wd40 but it didnt work.
It won't, it's not the right product for the job. If you want to have a go without stripping the pedals, drill a 2mm hole in the shaft where shown and heat the shaft with a blowtorch, (be prepared for a fire) then inject Plusgas into the drilled hole while working the pedals both in the normal plane and also forcing them sideways in both directions. It will make it easier if you disconnect the brake pedal pushrod first to get maximum travel. Your arms will drop off just after the pedals free up but if you're quick you can squirt WD40 in the holes and the shaft ends before that happens. Plusgas is for freeing off seized components, WD40 is for lubricating them. If you follow up with light oil it will last longer. If you decide to remove the pedals instead, consider fitting a new clutch cable at the same time 'cos you can bet your life it will break a week later otherwise.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool cheers for that guys. Moby how much time if any would drilling and heating the mechanism up and how effective is it as if it doesnt save that much time then I would probably just strip it down and change the clutch cable aswell.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,995 Posts
personnally i'd just bite the bullet, take it all out and strip it down clean it, a lick of paint, regrease and put it all back good as new and reliable for many years.
If you use drill and heat it may solve your problem short term but you may be in the same boat in a years time and the effort to get in there to do it you'd be better off with a spanner in yer hand IMO
:)

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
LukeDuke said:
Cool cheers for that guys. Moby how much time if any would drilling and heating the mechanism up and how effective is it as if it doesnt save that much time then I would probably just strip it down and change the clutch cable aswell.
Drill/heat/plusgas will take about Ωhr, doing it properly will take about 3hrs. Your choice :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
its the bit about 'your arms will drop off' i'm not too keen on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts