Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, fortunately this just happened on my old motor, not my shiny new 1776...or I probably wouldn't be speaking to you guys right now...

I needed to get a good tdc reading, so removed #1 plug and inserted a 6" chromoly socket extension bar (you already know where this is going.....). Got tdc, did what I was doing with the timing...then got distracted by something else.

Came back 10min later, jumped in and cranked the motor over on the starter motor...shv shv CLONK! Aaaargh f&%**!!...the socket bar!!

In my panic, at first I thought it had dropped into the motor (in reality it is too long) but what had actually happened is it had come up against the tinware on the way up. Its bent the tinware around the plug hole (grrrr) and inserting a probe camera into the cylinder I can see a sizeable scrape on the piston crown - shiny ally and a burr sticking up. Valves should be unaffected as would not have made contact, but questions is could it have bent the con rod..? Seems unlikely given the only thing holding the motor from turning was the extension bar against the tinware...but it was enough of a jam to stop the motor cranking....and its put a slight bend in the chromoly bar.

Motor turns over by hand fine...haven't had the courage to fire it up yet.

Any opinions..? (aside from what a stupid ass I am)..

·
Highly Respected Member
13,509 Posts
Oops....

Only 100% way to be sure is to pull the motor and take the head, cylinder, piston and rod out then inspect and measure everything including the rod for straightness, for which you will need some engineering kit.
I would say if there was enough force to put a bend in a cromoly extension bar 3/8" or wider then there's potentially enough force to damage a piston or rod.

Or just fire it up and take a risk - depends how much the motor is worth to you I suppose.

For me, if it was a high mileage engine getting a bit endfloaty then I'd probably risk running it as it is, if it's a nice tidy engine with no excessive endfloat then I'd be having it out to check the damage.

Dave.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Dave....the motor is (or was....😢) pretty decent.

If I choose to take the risk and start it, what should I expect if there's an issue - the engine vibrates itself to death straight away..? If it were to start and run smoothly, would that indicate a clean bill of health...?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have done a compression test this morning - cylinders 2-4 are all between 110 and 118psi, cylinder 1 is at 100... Obviously I don't know what the readings would have been before...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I took the plunge....horrible moment closing my eyes and turning the key...BUT...the motor sprang straight into life and settled down normally to a smooth tickover.

I've not driven it yet, as need to finish setting up electronic ignition (how I got myself into this mess in the 1st place) but it revs cleanly and ticks over smoothly on all 4 cylinders.

I presume it'd be pretty obvious if a conrod was bent...?

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,747 Posts
I think you’ve been lucky.

Don‘t beat yourself up about it, it’s a mistake you’re unlikely to repeat.

👍👍

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reckon so....not a pleasant 24hours...but test drive seems fine - pulling nicely, no misfires, no nasty noises....will monitor the hell out of it this weekend, but fingers crossed.
Thanks for the help and moral support folks.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,509 Posts
Looks like you've been lucky, but keep a close eye on the sump plate next time you do an oil change.
And the slightly bent extension bar in your toolbox will act as a reminder...... ;)

Dave.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just back from nearly 200m around mid-Wales...up and over hill and dale, in the heat, and the bus ran like a dream.
So hopefully all’s well that ends well in this particular little saga...and yep, the reminders will be there for the future!

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Just back from nearly 200m around mid-Wales...up and over hill and dale, in the heat, and the bus ran like a dream.
So hopefully all’s well that ends well in this particular little saga...and yep, the reminders will be there for the future!
I'm glad she's still running well and nothing bad happened :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts