Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To Quote Mickey Flanagan; 'I'm back in the game'.

IMG_0454 by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

A new, long and rambling reader's rides thread is upon us.

May God have mercy on your souls.
:D

·
Premium Member
15,659 Posts
I'm glad it's that quote, it could've gone horribly wrong.

I look forward to emptying my garage of air cooled crap into your garage. :D

Enjoy it.:)

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks

Well done Smull :D
Cheers!

I look forward to emptying my garage of air cooled crap into your garage. :D

Enjoy it.:)
I think 'enjoy' is stretching the envelope a little because (as we all know) they're frustrating piles of sh*t but I'm certainly looking forward to the challenge.

If you want to empty a 2276cc race motor into my garage all the better. Thanks in advance :incheek:

so what are the plans for it ?
1. To drink coffee and stare at it.

2. Drink some more coffee, stare at it some more and mutter expletives under my breath.

3. Repeat the above steps until I get bored, then write a lengthy thread on Vzi about what I intend to do.

4. Drink some more coffee until I can find no more excuses to avoid working on it. Then (and only then) I shall spend the following twelve months with dirt in my eyes, cuts on my knuckles and searching for a 10mm socket that is never to be found.

and finally, 5. Following this (and further coffee and swearing) I hope to have recommissioned the brakes & fuel lines and had any crusty bits fixed. Then maybe, just maybe I can drive it somewhere.

Following this I shall be demoralised, sell it and immediately wish I hadn't. I shall then spend months trying to find another and repeat the above steps ad infinitum.

·
Premium Member
12,562 Posts
Cheers!

I think 'enjoy' is stretching the envelope a little because (as we all know) they're frustrating piles of sh*t but I'm certainly looking forward to the challenge.

2. Drink some more coffee, stare at it some more and mutter expletives under my breath.

3. Repeat the above steps until I get bored then write a lengthy thread on Vzi about what I intend to do.

4. Drink some more coffee until I can find no more excuses to avoid working on it. Then (and only then) I shall spend the following twelve months with dirt in my eyes, cuts on my knuckles and searching for a 10mm socket that is never to be found.

and finally, 5. Following this (and further coffee and swearing) I hope to have recommissioned the brakes & fuel lines and had any crusty bits fixed. Then maybe, just maybe I can drive it somewhere.

Following this I shall be demoralised, sell it and immediately wish I hadn't. I shall then spend months trying to find another and repeat the above steps ad infinitum.

wow :eek:

that sounds like it is going to be a shit load of coffee.

my car problems seem much simpler now :D ;) :D

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

First ingenious repair found. The rear number plate screws were screwed into wine corks.

Love it :lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
When i 1st saw the thread title i thought you were going out out :D.

Been off the road for a couple of years.
Enjoy your coffee.

Rich

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
15,659 Posts

3. Repeat the above steps until I get bored, then write a lengthy thread on Vzi about what I intend to do.

I'm going shamelessly quote my own post from another thread and point out the error of Sir's ways.

You can stick your fancy coffees up your arse, tea is the drink of geniuses. No one ever spent hours tinkering in a shed and invented anything worthwhile drinking coffee.:D
I was only looking at a lawnmower engine in a box, in my shed this morning. When do you want to collect it?

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going shamelessly quote my own post from another thread and point out the error of Sir's ways.

I was only looking at a lawnmower engine in a box, in my shed this morning. When do you want to collect it?
:lol:

I do actually like tea but always favour coffee. Maybe it's time for a change to get this show on the road :D

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Move To Reader's Rides Please

"Milner, the front of this,..... thing looks a little low". :lol:
Excellent! Good luck. 😄

Mods, if you wouldn't mind moving this to Reader's Rides, it seems as good a place as any to start!

If you could rename it:

'Sunny The Mexibug - Another Smull Budget Mexi Project'

Please and thank you!

·
Administrator
166,983 Posts

Mods, if you wouldn't mind moving this to Reader's Rides, it seems as good a place as any to start!

If you could rename it:

'Sunny The Mexibug - Another Smull Budget Mexi Project'

Please and thank you!
Done! :)

Good luck with it Andy - I look forward to seeing the progress dude. :)

·
Premium Member
44,419 Posts
If Lemmy had written the 'Ace of Daffodils'..... :D

Two things - Firstly, great to see another bug with fundamentally correct lines and gaps, just like your previous two, you have a good eye, Sir.

Secondly, please wash the car and post more pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Dos it run, steer, stop, drive?

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Sunny Bug

To continue the theme of plagiarising the famous and in the words of 'Talking Heads' this time; 'How did I get here'?

I shan't dwell too much on this but in short, after a battle with anxiety & depression my last few bugs had become 'just another problem' and in haste I'd gotten rid of them all too quickly.

What's the saying (you know, whilst we're stealing words); 'act in haste, repent at leisure'. That's kinda where I was in my bug-less life. Sat trawling for sale ads day after day, looking to reverse my mistake.

The problem is, most of the bugs available are a sea of plated up sh*tters wearing a sticky coat of waxoyl to hold them all together and frankly, I'd rather not have a bug at all if they were the only option.

BUT....once in a while something turns up that (whilst tired) is an honest basis for a project. My Samtrote edition (Rudolph) was one such car and the bug I'm about to introduce you to, is another.

I've 'known' this car (via VZi) since 2011 but only a chance Faceache message reacquainted me with both car and owner back in late 2018. A lot of messages and a few pictures have changed hands since then and whilst I could see it'd had better days I took a chance on buying the car blind and finally became Sunny's new owner over the weekend.

So what is Sunny?

Sunny, as the name suggests, is a limited edition Sunny Bug (1 of 1500 produced) and is a Mexican built bug produced for the mainland European market in 1984. These special editions (along with Samtrotes, Winter Bugs and finally the Jubilee) were a 'last hoorah' for Europe long after the U.K. said farewell to the humble bug.

Being a late, late bug she features such fripperies as a heated rear window and velour upholstery (be still my beating heart) and if you're keen to know more you can take a gander here:

http://www.sebeetles.com/sunny/

And with that you're up to speed. Strap yourselves in for the slowest recommissioning thread in history. I can't promise speed but I can probably guarantee a fair level of frustration, discovery and bleeding knuckles. I hope you're ready....because I'm not.

I'll leave you with pictures of Sunny's journey & arrival at Castle GreySmull and the beginning of our journey together.

IMG_0451 by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

IMG_0453 by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

IMG_0454 by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

Love and hugs and stuff,
Smull
:)

1 - 20 of 312 Posts