Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may be aware of the "Fake Germanfolks window car" situation coming out of SuperVW Magazine in France again. And I hesitate to bring this up here in light of the last time, but I feel its worth the risk, please indulge me. For those of you unaware of the situation Ill give a brief summary.

SuperVW featured a 1966 sedan in thier last magazine, adorned with a German Folks club window, however the car and owner are not in any way shape or form associated with the club. We contacted SuperVW magazines representatives to voice our objections, hopeing at the very least a printed statement in the next publication stating that the car in question was no infact associated with our club, and were met with this response

"I'l very disapointed about your e-mail !

I think if you want to become a famous brand like Coca Cola, Apple or Nike, you must protect your brand "German Folks" with an international copyright, like a big company !!!

Also you're just a VW club. Yes just a famous californian VW Club ! With somes peoples who loves and drives old VW air-cooled... Not a big and international company !
Of course you're cars are famous and popular for many other peoples who loves VW in the world, and of course somes car of your club are very nice and sometimes peoples want to do same, because for them it's a dream.
But it's not to do business. I think it's like an honor, for you ! The shit is never copy !!!!

Now if it's a real problem to be famous, let your VW in your garage, or ask a lawyer to protect your right. There is law, use them !

And of course if you don't want to see more VW from the German Folks in Super VW, I hope it will be not a problem for us, but just for you.
And we don't speak about that in next issue, because in France, many people think like us. And after that I'm not sure you will be so famous again !

Our dream, it's just to have a nice Volkswagen. Never forget that !!!! Not business, just nice VW's... !!!!

Julien-D. C.te"

We feel that our club has, for all practical purpuses, been stolen from. We, as a club, understand that there is nothing legaly that can be done, we are faced with the fact that it is what it is at this point. But as an influencial part of the VW community, and as a consumer, we would like to boycot the magazine and are looking for support. We are not asking anyone to slander the magazine, we are not asking anyone to send hate mail. But we are asking people who buy the magazine to think twice before doing so. And anyone that understands and agrees with our situation to pass this along to at least one person and ask that person to pass it along and so on. We understant that this may do nothing to them monitarily, but maybe public oppinion will be swayed. What we are looking for from the magazine is a retraction of sorts.

So in short if you agree with us please support us.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To each his own, your opiinion is duely noted. Its purely a question of pride.. Not Elitism. 25 years of club tradition means something different to one person then it does to another I suppose. Clearly it means something to us, its the principle. But hey, your responce was what I expected.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, not just the club name. An exact replica of our club logo in the back window and a reproduction of our club stick in the from window, that ironicly enough says chapters in the UK, ****** States, and Japan... But nothing about Franch... LOL..

Hardly Elitist.

Its the equivelant of me starting a website call Volkszone and using the same logo.... Or starting a magazine called Volksworld or the like.

·
Premium Member
27,158 Posts
To each his own, your opiinion is duely noted. Its purely a question of pride.. Not Elitism. 25 years of club tradition means something different to one person then it does to another I suppose. Clearly it means something to us, its the principle. But hey, your responce was what I expected.
Most normal people would take it as a compliment. :)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
"I'l very disapointed about your e-mail !

I think if you want to become a famous brand like Coca Cola, Apple or Nike, you must protect your brand "German Folks" with an international copyright, like a big company !!!

Also you're just a VW club. Yes just a famous californian VW Club ! With somes peoples who loves and drives old VW air-cooled... Not a big and international company !
Of course you're cars are famous and popular for many other peoples who loves VW in the world, and of course somes car of your club are very nice and sometimes peoples want to do same, because for them it's a dream.
But it's not to do business. I think it's like an honor, for you ! The shit is never copy !!!!

Now if it's a real problem to be famous, let your VW in your garage, or ask a lawyer to protect your right. There is law, use them !

And of course if you don't want to see more VW from the German Folks in Super VW, I hope it will be not a problem for us, but just for you.
And we don't speak about that in next issue, because in France, many people think like us. And after that I'm not sure you will be so famous again !

Our dream, it's just to have a nice Volkswagen. Never forget that !!!! Not business, just nice VW's... !!!!

Julien-D. C.te"

^^^^whs^^^^

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Most normal people would take it as a compliment. :)
I think not. Its flattering that someone in franch thought enough of our club to pay homage. Its quite another thing to try and pass your car off as being associated with something its not. And for the record I personaly have no problem with the guy who did it. I have a big problem with the magazine that featured it knowing it was not authentic... Hens the boycot of the magazine and not the bashing of the owner....

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
So are you saying"someone has your club name in their window??"
To get a "GFK" window your car has to be of a certain standard, have the correct stance and be of impeccable quality - plus you get your window by "Invitation" only - its not elitist, its just about maintaining standards - if you see a car with German Folks in the rear window then you should expect the best in quality and finish from that car - as that is what will have earned the right to a 'window' When that right is earned your window is painted - not vinyl by a member of the club :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please understand, Im not looking for a pat on the back. And I fully understand that not everyone will agree with us on this. But I posted this hre like I have posted this on every other VW forum to gain support for our cause. You can agree or disagree with us just like you can agree or disagree with any issue in the world. Trying to paint us as Elitist or anything else is your perogative. It has no bearing on the situation at hand. And as I stated in my original post, I came here fully aware that this might be a touchy subject. But you are all part of the VW community and sould be made aware of something like this so that you can agree or disagree... The choice is yours. If you chose to bash the club, thats on your. It also hs no bearing on the situation at hand.... And I will take no offense. That is not what this is about...

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have to admit that I agree with Ken here on both his points.

I have looked over this car from the pics and by looking at it I can say its a Resto Cal (although there does appear to be an evolving Resto Cal look).

This guy has built his car and trying to aspire to your club cars, thats this guys goal. By doing so he has put a rear window logo of the GFK to complete the look he was trying to achieve (he just wanted to be a part of it, is that such a bad thing?).

I read on the other post on Restowagen that you wanted this on all the forums, but I think that would be a mistake. All you will do is make your club become really really anal and you will get bad publicity (here is the beginning of that).

I read the Super VWs answer back, and although it is painful they are correct in what they have written. You could copyright it, but laws change from country to country and your just going to end up again with negative press.

I can also see that as the GFK is an elite club to many within the Resto Cal scene with a number of cars on the books with different chapters that you would be a lil pissed that a non member car has a GFK logo.

Thing is your not going to stop it from happening, especially when you come in from the angle that the owners of Resto Cal's aspire to be recognised with their show cars with your club. Take it you dont have a French Chapter (perhaps an opportunity missed?).

By also severing off ties with Super VWs you now loose your european coverage from those that buy Super VWs in mainland Europe and the bad publicity will travel fast throughout the scene at a time when this club is being featured and having a lot of coverage.

So before you self destruct, just take a step back and try and resolve in a way that would be fortuitous to the GFK club and what it stands for.

You think this is bad...wait til you see a Saxo with your logo in the rear window

Stu

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
To get a "GFK" window your car has to be of a certain standard, have the correct stance and be of impeccable quality - plus you get your window by "Invitation" only - its not elitist, its just about maintaining standards - if you see a car with German Folks in the rear window then you should expect the best in quality and finish from that car - as that is what will have earned the right to a 'window' When that right is earned your window is painted - not vinyl by a member of the club :D
see,to me that sounds like......

a nice car is a nice car,who cares about "invitations" and and rear window logos.

·
Registered
34,373 Posts
I`m going to have to side with the GFK.

If you`re not in their club you shouldn`t be flying their colours, it`s not a money or elitist thing for me.

Anybody think Ultra or Volksworld would have run the article?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can see the 2 sides to this...

I saw the car and I assumed he was in your club so it's definitly misleading.
Nice car tho - what exactly is the problem?
If he asked would you let him in? What's the criteria?

I used to be a graffiti artist in my younger years and shit a brick
when I saw someone tagging their name and adding our crew's name.
He got what was coming tho. it was a violent time.

Only a car club tho. just like it's only a group of folks doing graffiti.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've never bought the mag before, but after reading all this and the nonsense on Restowagen and Samba, I think I might just start.

What a load of old (elitist) bollocks.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts