Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been on with th ebolt up of my 72 trekker, ive put a '73 1500 box in it, manged to get it bolted to the chassis today, so i decided to put 2gaskets (out of my set) on the gearbox studs, i then slid the white dasiy plastic thing on then slid the axle shafts on, after tigherning the 8 m8 nuts up the axle shafts/tubes are very stiff and wont move easily, is it possible that i need more gaskets? i know in the manual it say's about the thickness of the gaskests is liek shims for the correct spacing etc... but ive put two on, and thats what i took off?!? any help would be great!

cheers
alex.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Mine was same on my S/A on the split
two gaskets and it was tight.
I'm hoping that its supposed to be tight and may free up under load and with oil in
the box etc.
be interested in what the experts have to say on it tho

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, thats my thinking. the gearbox is actully only being supported by the front mount and a bit of wood, as im waiting fot the 2x gearbox cradle bolts to come in the post, once the gearbox cralde is in place, with the rear gearbox supported i was gonna move it all about to free it up etc... im also assuming the small amounts of paint on ends of the axle shafts may be pushing it out a tiny bit, also with gearbox oil in there it should free it all up better, with normal road use too etc...

all i know is that it was very free/easy to move the shafts before i remove the shafts now they are nearly ridgid!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
my old axles on my gearbox got super stiff when i drained it and left it for a few days, after refilling with fluid and sloshing it about a bit, they went back to their usual flopping around.
Maybe they just need a little lubrication?

(apologies for using the words sloshing and flopping)

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
not sure on the age of the gear box actually, i did a straight swap for his 1500 AC box, which accoring to info on the parts emporium gearbox code page, makes it, pre 70 actually

anyway ive now removed all the paint, from the gearbox mating surface as it was easily scratched off, ive also used gasket selant in there also, there were two very thin gaskets on it when removed so i used both of the ones from my GSF gearbox kit, and they were still tight, im gonna check the torque ammounts, fill with oil, if its still tight ill order the differnt thinkess gaskets and have a play.

cheers
alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.