Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4,448 Posts
Actually four height settings I believe, as from memory the two holes (one visible) are not equidistant from the ends of the small curved plate, which can be removed and inverted to give two more settings - a kind of vernier effect as it were.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HNY….and thanks for the info, makes sense. To adjust the height, would it be a case of taking the weight off the vehicle, undoing the bolts, turn the plates and reinstall the bolts.
I can’t understand what would be the highest and lowest setting though.
cheers

· Premium Member
9,459 Posts
I can’t understand what would be the highest and lowest setting though.
The 'Higher' the central bolt position = the higher the car will sit on it's wheels. It appears to be on a fairly High setting at the moment.
To reset the height, try doing it in increments to get a 'feel' for how it works
I'd start by just changing the bolt position into the other hole, and if it needs lowering further, flip the plate and try again.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 'Higher' the central bolt position = the higher the car will sit on it's wheels. It appears to be on a fairly High setting at the moment.
To reset the height, try doing it in increments to get a 'feel' for how it works
I'd start by just changing the bolt position into the other hole, and if it needs lowering further, flip the plate and try again.
Thanks for your reply, it makes perfect sense. As soon as this man flu has shifted, I will get out there and mess about with it to learn how it works!

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man flu has passed 😃
I’ve been out under the van today and I’m struggling to understand the setup on this beam. How do I adjust it? Photos attached.
does it look how you’d expect it to look? I appreciate any help or info offered 👍
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Black Tread

Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

Tire Wood Gesture Thumb Nail

· Premium Member
9,459 Posts
The bolt doesn't adjust anything, ride height is determined by the position of the curved plate which fits into the rectangular slot. After removing the plate, you have to manually move the trailing arms to the position/height you want, then install the plate so one of the holes lines-up with the threaded hole inside the beam, (which is over the dimple in the torsion bar), then fit the bolt to hold it all in that position.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bolt doesn't adjust anything, ride height is determined by the position of the curved plate which fits into the rectangular slot. After removing the plate, you have to manually move the trailing arms to the position/height you want, then install the plate so one of the holes lines-up with the threaded hole inside the beam, (which is over the dimple in the torsion bar), then fit the bolt to hold it all in that position.
Ah..I see. So lifting the trailing arms up will lower the van I assume?? By lifting the arms, will the threaded hole in the beam move up along with the dimple in the leaves?
cheers for the help, I will hopefully get time to adjust tomorrow 👍

· Premium Member
9,459 Posts
Yeah, if you've not done one before, it can take a bit of experimentation to get your head around the way the geometry works.
If you set the threaded hole right at the bottom of the slot, the van will stand very low, (maybe too low) which can cause steering issues.
If, at the lowest setting, the top bolt touches the gear change rod, and you want to run it that low, you may have to get a shorter bolt, one without a head, which can be tightened with an Allen key.
Measure the threaded part of your existing bolt, it only needs to be long enough to take a locknut.
The stock bolt may be too short : Threaded Pin for Torsion Bar Leaves: 111411151 | Heritage Parts Centre UK
A slightly longer bolt designed for use with adjusters may be better : Front Beam Adjuster Replacement Stud: AC401200 | Heritage Parts Centre UK
Have fun :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts