Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a bit of advice as i know nothing about them, there is a guy down the road from me selling a C reg, 1.9 petrol, T25 no camping interior just seats in the back, seems ok nick few bubbles around rear arch has chrome bumpers origional blue paintwork and slightly tinted windows from memory, looked ok, 98000 ish 12months MOT
£650

is this a good deal??? i would be looking to buy and sell on as i have a van but anyone think there would be any money in it ??
thanks!!

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
sounds good provided the body ain't too bad and the engine is OK

Do some research on the wasserboxer engine and what to look for, when they work well, they work very very well, when they don't, god help you.

·
Banned
18,443 Posts
Ihad a blue c plate heap with 12mths paid 150 for it ebayed it for 1200 :crazy:

And a white e plate van paid 50.00 got 700

Hope no one on here bought them :eek:

·
Banned
18,443 Posts
i also bought one for 800 a dormy from 250 miles away hadent been run for 2 years ,drove it home and it went bang pulling on to my drive the metal water pipes were shafted :(

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks fellas! might take the gamble just dont wanna lose money or get stuck with it

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wedgedout said:
Do some research on the wasserboxer engine and what to look for, when they work well, they work very very well, when they don't, god help you.
any tips on what to look for??
thanks..

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
wedgedout said:
I was considering a wasserboxer engine a while back and the one thing that keeps getting mentioned is the cylinder head gaskets as they weren't that robust from the factory apparently.

That said, building an "Oxyboxer" engine from the case sounded very interesting! Basically cut the water jackets off, machine the bases of some big cylinders to fit, stick on some matching heads and bingo! A powerful aircooled engine with a very strong bottom-end that's already full-flowed from the factory!

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
AngelVenomous said:
I was considering a wasserboxer engine a while back and the one thing that keeps getting mentioned is the cylinder head gaskets as they weren't that robust from the factory apparently.

That said, building an "Oxyboxer" engine from the case sounded very interesting! Basically cut the water jackets off, machine the bases of some big cylinders to fit, stick on some matching heads and bingo! A powerful aircooled engine with a very strong bottom-end that's already full-flowed from the factory!
Hmmm... that sounds interesting. I have a spare 1.9 bottom end and heads in the garage at home!

hmmmmmmmmm...

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AngelVenomous said:

that sounds a fantastic plan... not heard of that before... i must look into whats involved!!

·
Banned
18,443 Posts
One tip from me

If the waters brown and shitty or it has no antifreez in it beware

If the waters anti freeze coulour then its o.k

And check the front to back water pipes they were obsolete when i did mine had to have some made 120.00 each :eek:

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Matt Black. said:
any tips on what to look for??
thanks..
Bit of a minefield.

Leaky exhausts are a nightmare, often you'll have to drill out the old studs and re tap for new ones (this means taking the engine out), check the coolant and make sure it's a nice colour, if it looks rusty or really REALLY old, walk away, it's been abused and it's gonna cause you problems in the long run.

Also check the oil, do the usual "engine" checks, listen for any untoward noises, they may be a bit tappy from cold, but they have hydraulic lifters so it should die off once the engine is warm.

Check all around the engine for signs of coolant leaks, pay special attention to the area around the heads where it meets the liners of the pistons, if it's gone here, it could be due to a rotten headstud, so budget for a new engine if this is the case, as this is often a difficult repair.

The main issue with these is that poor coolant is used, or the wrong concentration, and it causes the head studs to rot, they are difficult to remove when this happens, the only method really is spark errosion, and on a magnesium alloy case, that's not a simple job :(.

If the engine is good, take if for a spin and listen out for gearbox noises, if it's a 5 speed, they are an expensive and difficult to find replacement box, whines are bad!, should be smooth and free from crunches or grinds.

The engine should be torquey from low down and nice and smooth to about 4000rpm. They don't rev too well, but they are nice engines when they work well.

It should be fairly quiet too, being a later wasserboxer, as they have the "rats nest" exhaust, which is expensive to replace, but works pretty well for silencing.

Check for rot on the fuel tank, if you can get under and have a look at the TOP of the tank, they trap water there, 1st thing you know is when you drop more than £30 of petrol in and it pisses out :(

check for rot in the seams, this is usually bad :(, also look around the fuel filler area and the area behind the STUPID expansion tanks in the front arches.

Also look for rot around the windows, esp the bottom of the front screen, and around the area behind the front bumper.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WWOWW thats some fantastic info mate cheers for taking the time to write all of that!! BRILLIANT!! thanks!

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Matt Black. said:
WWOWW thats some fantastic info mate cheers for taking the time to write all of that!! BRILLIANT!! thanks!
No worries.

you might want to make sure those chrome bumpers are good too, hard to get decent ones now :(

·
Registered
8,218 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wedgedout said:
that was already "in my head"
frightening isn't it :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts