Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... i say starting problem... it always starts but just takes a while & makes a hell of a noise at the same time. It turns over real slow about 6-10 times before it catches and runs. The starter is obviously having problems with something because the power of the starter motor actually moves the van a bit from side to side when it is trying to start. Don't think its the battery coz seems to have plenty of juice... any ideas of what to try next??? I'm strictly amateur but willing to give it a go... its a 1.9 petrol w/c.
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Have you tried another battery? Perhaps borrow one you know to be good, I've had similar problems with my T25 in the past and a new battery greatly improved things until the starter packed up, I couldn't believe the difference with a new starter either, it had never started as well before I fitted it.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The starter bush in the gearbox will cause the starter to turn slowly if it is worn or collapsed. It is available from most VW parts suppliers.

Starter motor off. a 12mm engineering tap and screw it into the old bush. The bush will start to turn, so you keep turning and pull at the same time. Then put the 17mm nut on the starter top bolt, to the depth of the bush and gently knock it back in.

Your starter should have quite a thick solenoid on it and a very long stud for the main wires to go onto. Sometimes, people try to use the earlier 091 starter, from the 1600 and 2 litre but they ain't man enough for the job. If yours has a short stud then it could be an early one.

Anything you can do to improve the engine earthing would be good.

The other thig to do is remove the ignition earth wire from the left hand head, clean it and the head surface and put it back on. That little bugger has caught me out a number of times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts