Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon VZi:D

Soo, I've been thinking a lot about T25 campers recently.. Has anyone got any general T25 related advice to give me?

What engines are best? 4 speed box or 5 speed? Syncros? Conversions? Are they easily serviceable by a semi-competent mechanic like myself? What goes wrong and what do I look out for hen buying? etc etc etc.

From what I gather perusing these forums, the 5 speed is probably best avoided, as are the non-turbo diesels.. Am I right? Engine-wise, I'm pretty much just looking for economy, so long as it's drivable without too much stress.. What would folks recommend?

And finally, are there any high-tops that don't look like they've got an upside down boat plonked on top?

Ta, any advice much appreciated:)

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
Do you want rhd or lhd,do you want a camper or day van,do you want performance or fuel economy,how tall are you and are you going to be a summer camper or all year round?

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you want rhd or lhd,do you want a camper or day van,do you want performance or fuel economy,how tall are you and are you going to be a summer camper or all year round?
Good questions..

I'd prefer RHD, but LHD is an option, so long as visibility is decent..
I'm after a camper..
Economy / reliability is key for me, so long as it's not underpowered to the point of being stressful to drive. I drive a 1.4 polo at the moment, so I'm not used to much speed.
I'm about 6 foot 2 inches, ish..
Ad I'm deffo going to be an all year round camper:D

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
Realy you want a high top,a) because of your size b) pop tops are a pain in the arse in the winter and noisy.

You want a turbo diesel,it will give you good economy while not being painfully slow,I upgraded mine and put a 100 bhp golf tdi engine in it,it was the nuts while still doing 40 mpg

I'm affraid it's realy going to be a high top westy lhd for you
like this

or one of these

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Five speed petrols are the best bet...
Is that because you're selling one?:incheek:

Seriously though, I'd like a 5 speed, but I'd herd (read) on here they're more prone to gearbox issues than the 4 speed? Is it just a case of 'get a good one and it'll be fine' with the 5 speed?

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
All i know is they are more comfy than a tent.. look fkin awsome and loads of room for my beer !! Mines a 2ltr Aircooled and it guzzles petrol ..

Good luck xx

·
Registered
78,063 Posts

Seriously though, I'd like a 5 speed, but I'd herd (read) on here they're more prone to gearbox issues than the 4 speed? Is it just a case of 'get a good one and it'll be fine' with the 5 speed?
:lol:

I've driven all engine versions... the five speed petrols are the best by a country mile.

I've not had gearbox problems with the two I have owned.

·
Registered
17,387 Posts

The problem with them is lack of maintenace,people never change the oil on gearboxes and it goes like treacle,you should always drain the gearbox oil after a longish drive,so it is all thinned down

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
and mines not a tit top ... lol

·
Registered
78,063 Posts
In a caravelle there not bad,but in a fully kitted out camper they drink the petrol quicker than olly read used to be able to down a double scotch:lol:
they're still the best though... no vans are economical

fully fitted campers are a waste of time unless you want to play wendy houses

·
Administrator
166,668 Posts

It's a bargain tho' ;)

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
This a 2.1 injection and drinks petrol,but looks cool as

This the tdi one and had just as much power and torque but did 40 mpg

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Realy you want a high top,a) because of your size b) pop tops are a pain in the arse in the winter and noisy.

You want a turbo diesel,it will give you good economy while not being painfully slow,I upgraded mine and put a 100 bhp golf tdi engine in it,it was the nuts while still doing 40 mpg

I'm affraid it's realy going to be a high top westy lhd for you
like this

or one of these
Thanks, I'd come to similar conclusions RE the high top myself, I just wish they weren't so damned ugly:D

TD also makes my list of requirements..

Are the high top westys only available in LHD? I've seen high top Autosleeper conversions in RHD, are they worth their salt?

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
the engine conversion was a work of art... but the camper side just did nothing for me... and it went for what was it £8K? so different world... I wouldn't spend that on a T25 unless it had £5K in the glove box
£6.5,thanks for the compliment:eek::mad:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts