Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a 1999 T4 likely to have an Immobiliser/transponder in the key? Namely, this type of key:

Audio equipment Font Auto part Circle Still life photography
Audio equipment Cable Headphones Gadget Font

I didn't think they did, but the previous owner seems to think it has.

I've recently had symptoms that could suggest failure of a transponder.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it a slim key like the photo? Mine doesn't seem to have any way of opening up, nor does it have buttons on it.

Can you get copies easy enough and does the transponder in the key need to be working to be able to get one?

·
Premium Member
15,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VW Key Man...

Matt... 07804 753022

Mention me. :)

Good luck. (y)
Cheer Bri.👍

Yes it has a transponder , what issues are you having , there’s a transponder/immobiliser box as well as the fuel pump having a method of immobilisation
When the van fires up there's no problem whasotever, first turn off the key, etc.

Occasionally, I get the normal dashboard lights, turn the key and nothing happens, not even a click. I can take the key out, put it in the other way, leave it a minute or give it a rub/squeeze and it fires up. It's almost like there's a loose connection in there.

Also, the previous owner made a point of telling me he only used the key for the ignition and used the spare, plain key for the doors, etc. It set my spidey senses off immediately.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Is it a 1.9td? It's laughably easy to bypass the immobiliser if you want to, you just need a hammer and to know which of the 2 wires is ignition switched 12v to connect back onto the cutoff solenoid.

I might be misremembering, but the immob doesn't prevent the starter turning though, it just stops you getting any fuel.

I also used to have an ignition key that was old, worn and fragile, and I used an extra non-chipped key to open the door locks in case the ignition key bent or broke. That was just down to me not trusting the locks rather than an immobiliser problem - 2 of the lock barrels had broken, so only the tip of the key was doing the locking and unlocking.

·
Premium Member
15,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it a 1.9td? It's laughably easy to bypass the immobiliser if you want to, you just need a hammer and to know which of the 2 wires is ignition switched 12v to connect back onto the cutoff solenoid.

I might be misremembering, but the immob doesn't prevent the starter turning though, it just stops you getting any fuel.

I also used to have an ignition key that was old, worn and fragile, and I used an extra non-chipped key to open the door locks in case the ignition key bent or broke. That was just down to me not trusting the locks rather than an immobiliser problem - 2 of the lock barrels had broken, so only the tip of the key was doing the locking and unlocking.
Definitely doesn't turn over.

Sounds like an ignition switch problem rather than an immobiliser issue , if you hold the key in the cranking position and wiggle , turn harder etc does it make a difference
Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
15,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What a b$%rard getting the small retaining screw out. I didn't have a screwdriver small and narrow enough to fit. The entire steering column is lay in the footwell.

David, I think you've nailed the fault. The part wasn't overly worn, but it was worn. I stuck the key the ignition and used a screwdriver and it's fired up every time so far.

Thanks.👍

·
Administrator
167,206 Posts
What a b$%rard getting the small retaining screw out. I didn't have a screwdriver small and narrow enough to fit. The entire steering column is lay in the footwell.

David, I think you've nailed the fault. The part wasn't overly worn, but it was worn. I stuck the key the ignition and used a screwdriver and it's fired up every time so far.

Thanks.👍
(y)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts

Thanks.👍
sometimes the key barrel part wears too , hopefully yours is good , easy fix otherwise:cool:(y)

·
Premium Member
15,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sometimes the key barrel part wears too , hopefully yours is good , easy fix otherwise:cool:(y)
I might have this too. I've got family heading over, so will give it a proper go tomorrow.

In the past, I've taken the switch out and part of the little paddle/spade/thing that rotates had and fell out. I've never previously had one wear enough not to operate the switch.

·
Premium Member
15,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does the key and immobiliser have to be in a certain plane (alignment) to operate? Or is the key being in the barrel enough?

I've got everything apart and tried several different ways to start.

Key in barrel, in the column, screwdriver in ignition. Mostly works.

Key in barrel. In the ignition. In my hand sometimes works.

Key in barrel. In the column. Ignition connected. Doesn't work.

There's a certain amount of play in the key barrel, but everything else is tight. Don't see how this comes into play when in hand.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Does the key and immobiliser have to be in a certain plane (alignment) to operate? Or is the key being in the barrel enough?

I've got everything apart and tried several different ways to start.

Key in barrel, in the column, screwdriver in ignition. Mostly works.

Key in barrel. In the ignition. In my hand sometimes works.

Key in barrel. In the column. Ignition connected. Doesn't work.

There's a certain amount of play in the key barrel, but everything else is tight. Don't see how this comes into play when in hand.

Any ideas?
i think the lock maybe the problem, assuming you have the key inside the ring?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts