Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im trying to replace the timing belt on my 2.4 diesel T4 (engine AAB) Im having trouble getting the vibration damper bolt undone. Does anyone know whether its right or left hand thread and the best way to stop block the engine from rotating?

Cheers, si

·
Registered
125 Posts
Put a good fitting spanner on the nut and turn it clockwise untill it jams against part of the chassis. Now stand clear and reach into the car and flick on the keys very briefly to give the starter motor a quick kick. Don't let the engine start. Your tight nut/bolt should now have been jarred free so you can easily remove it. You can, of course, only use this method if you still have the timing belts fitted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats great, cheers I've got it off.

Next question, now i've replaced my belt how do I set the tension without a special tool? The tention is set by moving the water pump and not the idler pulley.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Belt tension is ok if you can just twist it through 90 degrees with your thumb and finger. If you have to adjust it you are best to drain down the cooling system, remove the water pump. Clean the back of the pump and the mating surface on the block. Fit a new 'o' ring seal and smear both mating surfaces with grease so that the pump is easy to rotate in it's housing to tension the belt. If you just try to move the pump, to tention the belt, without removing and cleaning it first you are almost certain to get a water leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.