Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to get the inlet manifold off to check the gaskets and heat risers, do I have to drop the motor?

I've not dropped a bug engine before and I know loads of people say to just drop the motor to do anything but I'd rather not, if I can avoid it.

I guess which ever process is less likely to cause more problems!

Cheers!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great news!

I know getting the motor out is a rite of passage for Bug ownership, just didn't fancy it in the first week....

I just need to check inlet manifold to head connections are good and not leaking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you suspect there is a problem with the gaskets or risers?
Yes. Cylinders 3 & 4 suddenly stopped running. The inlet manifold to cylinder head is the only possibility for one side to suddenly stop working (unless the head has come loose).

·
Administrator
166,676 Posts
Yes. Cylinders 3 & 4 suddenly stopped running. The inlet manifold to cylinder head is the only possibility for one side to suddenly stop working (unless the head has come loose).
I'd check the valve clearances on that head before doing anything else.

Good luck. :)

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
You need to check the head studs so you'll have to remove the rocker shaft to do that, which means you'll also need to re-set valve clearances after that, anyway.
Rocker shafts can also come loose, and cause the valves on one side to stop working.
Cracks in the distributor cap can cause spark plugs on one side to stop working
Don't remove the inlet manifold until every other possibility has been eliminated.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,736 Posts
It’s way easier to drop the engine out than it is to re-align the decklid on you own without scratching the paint...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found that no.3 has a dodgy inlet valve. Maybe a dropped seat, so engine out!

Would have been easy, except for a sneaky bolt tapped into the engine flange which you have to get at up behind the clutch release lever...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts