Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

Saddest VZi'er 2021
There's some serious watch envy going on here. Whilst not owning any watches of value, I do have an example of what is probably the most useless watch ever.

Brown Rectangle Font Gas Tints and shades

'Tis a Swiss Tian Harlan designed Chromachron, and I have no idea of how to tell the time on it.

Talking of watches with no value, we found this long lost, and badly weathered ladies Rolex quartz in a scrap Jag.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Gold

The dial has faded, probably due to damp creeping in. What is even more faded are the words Hong Kong right at the bottom of the face.

Oh well, back in the scrap bin it is...馃槙

Saddest VZi'er 2021
German designed (Tian Harlan) 'anti-stress' watch - it wasn't meant to be accurate* - but 'fun'.

The square ones ^ were mechanical movements, I believe, while the round/circular variants were quartz based.

They're actually quite collectible (to some folk) and do have a following.

Here's an interesting article on Hodinkee from a collector: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/chromachron-a-radically-new-approach-to-time

:)

* Yes, I realise that kinda defeats the object. :D
Thanks for the info, Bri. I'm tending to agree with Tian's philosophy on timekeeping. :)

It is indeed a 17 jewel mechanical movement, which is ticking very quietly now that I've decided to give it the first wind in about twenty or thirty years.

Unfortunately, it's too small and delicate for me to wear, as I prefer heftier watches.

Saddest VZi'er 2021
Homages I'm fine with, replicas not so much...
What about complete and utter fakes? :)

My brother gave me this one about ten years ago -
Watch Analog watch Clock Gesture Watch accessory

It has a Miyota movement, and has been totally reliable. When I checked it when the clocks went back, it had lost a minute since last year.

I don't care that it's fake, it works, and I like the look of it. I just worry about getting mugged for it on the way home from the pub...

Saddest VZi'er 2021
Precisionist are fantastic movements. The watches aren鈥檛 for me, mostly because of the size! But it certainly makes an impact on a good way
It is certainly a love it/hate it kind of watch. On closer inspection of the back cover, I noticed it is a 98G model, not a 98B as advertised, which means it has a sapphire crystal rather than mineral glass.
That's a win in my book!

Congrats.

Health to enjoy! :)
Cheers Bri! I feel this may be the start of a decline into collecting silly watches. :)

Saddest VZi'er 2021
Ok, this has caught my eye and would like your opinion on moody fakes on ebay. Anyone dealt with this seller? If im honest,im interested but happy to walk away if you knowledgeable ones see a red flag.
I know, i have been warned about ebay.

Rich
The one good thing about ebay, is they have your back. If you like it, and win it, get it checked out as soon as you receive it. If it turns out to be snide, send it back and get your wedge back.

Saddest VZi'er 2021
Amongst some of my dad's old stuff, I've found a Sicura chronograph, and a german Bifora. The Sicura is so bad I may use it as target practice for the air pistol, but the Bifora may be simple enough to take apart, and try to get it working. Anyone here tried a strip down? How hard can it be?

Saddest VZi'er 2021
Yes, but depending on the movement it isn't always straight forward. Once you factor in the oils, tools and frustration of working on very small pieces, if it means a lot to you, a professional service might not be too bad.

I stripped and serviced this Pakema Antimagnetic from a non-runner to working as good as it can.

https://flic.kr/p/27U2WK6
https://flic.kr/p/2fmiwS3
None of the watches mean anything to me. The Sicura (apparently a dificult watch to service) is toast, battered everywhere, chrono hands missing etc., would cost more to fix than it's worth.
The Bifora, on the other hand, is as basic as a mechanical watch could be, no date, no chrono, nothing. As they aren't really worth much, I figured it might be 'fun' to play with.. As far as tools go, I have enough to be getting on with, less lubes and a mainspring winder. It could keep me occupied for weeks. :)

Saddest VZi'er 2021
Amongst some of my dad's old stuff, I've found a Sicura chronograph, and a german Bifora. The Sicura is so bad I may use it as target practice for the air pistol, but the Bifora may be simple enough to take apart, and try to get it working. Anyone here tried a strip down? How hard can it be?
Well, I took the backs off both of these watches, and they started working...
The Bifora is running quite happily, and so far keeping time. I don't think I'll mess with it.
Watch Brown Analog watch Smile Clock

The Sicura is being odd.
When the back came off, some bits fell out. The watch is running fine, and if held face down, the chrono is running (the chrono start pusher is stuck solid), I think it is something to do with the 15 minute sub dial as the hand thinks it's more fun to hide under the edge of the crystal rather than on the spindle. Strangely, no screws fell out with the bits.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Measuring instrument

Watch Silver Analog watch Body jewelry Font

Saddest VZi'er 2021
I鈥檇 say a chronograph is no place to start watchmaking.

The small piece looks either like part of a pusher mechanism or it鈥檚 broken, perhaps more hair pin shaped.

Can you make out the markings on the back? Looks like an EB8420 (bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: EB 8420) from a quick Google. A service manual or parts diagram will likely be available. Seems a shame for it to stay broken
The small part doesn't look to be broken, my first thought was a pusher part.

The only markings I can see are the 17 jewels and Sicura 5A. I guess that any other numbers are on the movement itself, probably under the chrono bridge. There's no way I'm pulling this one apart any further than removing the whole movement to see if things can be put back into place. If there was room for the lever to fall out, there must be room for it to fall back in, maybe. :)

Saddest VZi'er 2021
I really like the Sicura. Cool piece. I'd have thought any old chronometer would be worth the cost to restore it?
I do actually like it, even if it's a tad small for my taste. I fear that, considering the case and bezel insert are battered, and the fact it needs a service, the cost would be too high. There is a fully working example for sale at 拢350. If I should find a decent case, it may be worth a service.

Saddest VZi'er 2021
Anybody got any thoughts on AVI-8 watches?
I quite like the look of the Spitfire T300 watch. I know they're Chinese, but at least they have Japanese Miyota movements. They just look interesting.

Saddest VZi'er 2021
I knew this would happen...
I saw one of these Bulovas on ebay, and thought that it looked rather nice.
Took delivery of this today, for not much more than the second hand ones were selling for.
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Silver

The camera can't really catch how the light comes back off the little diamond set indices and the dial.
Well happy.:)

Saddest VZi'er 2021
One of the things that caught my eye with that watch, was all the bezel screws are aligned correctly ( ocd triggered if not ) . If Bulova can do that on a relatively cheap watch, why can't a company like Hublot do the same with their 拢30k + watches? I honestly couldn't wear one with the screwheads all over the place. Am I too fussy? :)

Saddest VZi'er 2021
1 - 20 of 80 Posts