Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

· Registered
8,083 Posts

· Registered
8,083 Posts
@Hoosier. Get yourself over to thewatchforum.co.uk - lots of knowledgeable people over there.

Also I think its expensive, and the pictures are terrible. This https://www.birthyearwatches.com/product/1973-seiko-5-sports-ufo-6119-6400 is from a good seller, but brown (also a member on TWF) and is significantly cheaper. In the end, its a Seiko 5 and they are cheap watches.

Orange Seikos are cheap... I have one, its brilliant.

· Registered
8,083 Posts
Cheers Al, will do.
I bought a 2nd hand orange watch the other day. It looks ok but for the price i wont complain if it works. If its clean and tidy, ill keep it for weekends etc. If its not, I'll use it for work.
View attachment 297648
These are essentially a gateway drug. If the watch doesn't work, you can replace the movement for very little money.

· Registered
8,083 Posts
Nice!, did anyone see that Seiko are bringing back the King Seiko line?
Thank you!

And I did, but at the price I'd rather have an old KS Chronometer, GS or either of the Quartz equivalents. Or any other number of vintage watches. The sentiment is good, but having limited editions isn't something I can get excited about

· Registered
8,083 Posts
Citizen aren't without guilt either! The cal. 0200 watches retail for silly money for something that is 28vph and a big power reserve. Christopher Ward and numerous others are in that game and significantly cheaper and churning out high quality watches. The Series 8 watches are pricey too.

In my mind GS is already in a premium space, and always has been.

There are plenty of good quality and interesting Seiko to be had. SARBs are excellent value even though the price of them is up. Alpinist and Cocktail Time are nice too. But again, second hand and OLD there are some excellent bargains to be had. Two of my other Seikos...

https://flic.kr/p/2jvaPDt
https://flic.kr/p/29CTj79

· Registered
8,083 Posts
@slim_adi The 7009A movement is a workhorse and generally go forever. As far as I know the 7019, a slight variant in one of mine has never been serviced and runs just fine.

My only comment would be that you can buy a brand new '5' in blue with a blasted case (model ref: SNK807k2 for your googling) for around £100 (less if you buy from somewhere like Creation Watches but will possibly get hit at customs). This will be ready to go and won't have any servicing issues that might occur with a used watch.

That said, its nice, and looks honest. If you like it, pull the trigger - but haggle it down - see my above comment.

· Registered
8,083 Posts
Its Friday - what is everyone wearing?!

Mk1 Traska Summiteer - the new ones have a domed sapphire crystal and slight change to the bezel, both of which are desirable to me, but it doesn't detract from what is a great watch.

Traska by a_t_b321, on Flickr

i rarely wear a watch - and already have have several which need straps and batteries !!
All the more reason to buy an automatic with a quickset date and day!

· Registered
8,083 Posts
I've cased a watch from a kit in the past. Not as difficult as it would seem. And you can do it with some inexpensive tools, I am by no means an expert. Its mainly the grease if you need it that costs money as even small quantities are relatively expensive

There are often two gotchas.

1. getting the hands on, they don't need a lot of force but getting the second hand on correctly can be fiddly
2. If you have a date wheel and don't follow the correct procedure for removing and replacing the winding stem you can upset the keyless works which means the dial has to come back off, and the calendar wheels to be re-set. Not a massive job, but a pain.

This is my original Titoni Airmaster and the NOS kit which required a movement (inevitably a reproduction dial but also an earlier version with the red flower and real jewel [probably worthless glass!], but is nice enough) as I wanted a new one

Titoni Airmaster by a_t_b321, on Flickr

Titoni Airmaster by a_t_b321, on Flickr

· Registered
8,083 Posts
Leopard superbeat 8 or 3600 would be nice if you can find one in good condition. Citizen haven't ever really floated my boat unfortunately.

At the new price for 'The Citizen' models you are kinda in Grand Seiko territory. If you can detach from the Japanese watches, there is a very big playground

· Registered
8,083 Posts
I took delivery of this Bulova 98B228 yesterday. I like chunky watches, but this one is taking the proverbial.

Let's just say that you'd never forget it's attached to your arm...

View attachment 297825

I love it, though. :)
Precisionist are fantastic movements. The watches aren’t for me, mostly because of the size! But it certainly makes an impact on a good way

· Registered
8,083 Posts
The illness continues. This arrived yesterday. A really small diver (35x40mm with 20mm lugs). Complete with lumed bezel and hiding an ETA2824 inside. Could do with a white on black (or aged) date wheel in my opinion, but given it was professionally serviced late last year, its not on the priority list.

Sea Hunter by a_t_b321, on Flickr

· Registered
8,083 Posts
really like that.

Has 50 fathoms/certina PH vibes about it.
Thanks. It’s very small which puts a lot of people off. I’m the third owner on the the forum I bought it from and don’t intend parting company soon. It’s also styled similarly to the early Omega seamaster 300.
I’m after a new strap though. Fancy it in a bracelet…

1 - 20 of 95 Posts