Volkszone Forum banner
181 - 200 of 449 Posts

·
Administrator
167,144 Posts
I am not a watch person at all, but I keep looking at those Russian watches. Bostoc? Vostok?
I smile to myself every time I'm on Ebay and put one on my "watch list" lol

But can someone tell me if they tic loudly? It's a small detail, but I hate ticking clocks!
Hi David,

Hope you're well.

No, they don't tick loudly. I own a couple and they're fine, if a little basic.

:)

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
8,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
For those looking at Russian watches, it's worth checking Etsy as well as eBay, less seller fees mean more bargains to be had. Just understand what you're looking at before you commit to anything, and if you're unsure, ask in here and I'll help where I can.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Black Seamaster has been on all week - haven't worn a watch for more than a day since Dec 20.

In an idle moment I did ponder why I wear a watch like this when I have an accurate phone in my pocket, and a sat phone in my bag, with inbuilt clock, and I think it's more a comfort thing, and a bling reminder why I do work in these cr4ppy places.

I had camel for dinner last night, and despite a civl war going off just up the road, my biggest worry right now is getting home and quarantine free for Christmas - was in the same position but a different dump last year at this time.

Reactions: GARRICK.CLARK

·
8,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
As it's December, and I can wear other watches again, I've put on the Seiko Yellow Fin Mini Tuna:
Watch Analog watch Light Black Fashion

It's a big gal, but it's actually quite comfortable thanks to the Seiko trick of a short lug to lug and a nice curve down so it wraps around the wrist.

I bought this really as a collector rather than a wearer, but I like to wear my watches as well. It's very much a diver's watch, ISO Certified, marked as such. OK, I don't need 200m water resistance and all that, but it's nice to have it, it's nice to know it'll hold up to forgetting to take it off if I venture into the sea.

Measurements:
48ishmm diameter! the shroud is the reason for that, the bezel is a far more sensible 40mm.

46mm lug to lug

13.4mm thick

(all taken using my £9.00 verynear callipers)

Movement:
Seiko Caliber 4R36 Automatic, 21.600bph, 24 jewels
Day/Date​
Hack​
Handwind​
40hr Power Reserve​
+/-45 sec a day (this one is running at +3 seconds a day!)​

My Seiko box has room for one or two more watches now and I've got a bit of a grail watch coming my way this week thanks to a very good friend managing to track down a super rare RAF Gen 1 Chronograph with the legendary 7a28 Quartz Analogue chronograph.

I'm super excited for that one to arrive, and I'll give a bit of a history lesson around them when it arrives.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Morning folks.

Good to see a few other folks posting on here, AlexB, that's a lovely watch, very cool colourway that.

GARRICK.CLARK, well that's a complicated one really, it's not Heur that people have the issue with, it's the TAG part of the name.

Heur was an older maker, and they got purchased by TAG, who I think were a Saudi concern with a habit of using very familiar designs and basically getting their product everywhere they could, which I think rubbed a lot of folks up the wrong way.

And then there was the debacle around their chronograph movement, where they claimed it was an in-house calibre but failed to tell anyone that it was basically shared DNA with a design they'd purchased from Seiko some time before.

I gave you a break on Sunday, as I was down the unit for the most part as a result had my ugly G-Shock on. I did have to go and meet another watch guy later that day, so I swapped to the Chris Ward (which you've seen already).

The reason I went to see the watch chap was because he had an advert for a Seiko Sumo in Green.

The Sumo is a modern Dive Watch, with a really big case (45mm!) which is far bigger than I wear, but he mentioned it was sized for his 7" wrist... now, I have a 7" wrist and I know Seiko's tend to wear a lot smaller, so I had to go and take a look.

View attachment 295748

And here it is yesterday on the wrist, it sort of melts around the wrist so actually feels quite comfortable and I do like the aesthetic.

So about the watch.
Well, it's a Seiko model reference spb103j1, the sumo, like many Seiko watches is the designation that fans give the watch, and there's a few thoughts as to why the name. Some schools of thought think it's due to its beefy size, others say the 12 o'clock marker looks like a Sumo wrestlers underwear.

This one is green, as such some people call it a "hulk" and it draws obvious comparisons between another well know Swiss divers watch.

I'm not usually a green dial man, however this one is almost black until the sunlight hits it, and then it looks really nice.

Comes with a 20mm bracelet, which I think helps it feel "smaller" on the wrist, typical nasty Seiko pressed steel clasp with dive extension and 4 points of micro adjust, but comes with Sapphire glass this time round, whereas most Seiko's have their proprietary hardlex. Lume is Seiko lumi-brite, which is awesome stuff and gives a neon green glow in low light and the movement is the Seiko 6R35 with 70 hours of power reserve.

Unsigned crown, but a good size and easy to use, tucked away at 4'oclock which helps with how it wears.

Would I buy this watch new?, no.. the RRP on these is silly, and even when you can get a discount, who wants to spend north of £500 on a Seiko? Sure it's got solid end links, it's got a sapphire crystal and a nicer movement, and yeah the case is really nice, but it's also got an unsigned crown and keeps an aluminium bezel insert.. there are nicer watches for your money out there.

But I let someone else take the depreciation on this and I'm more than happy with it for what I paid, so much so it's back on the wrist today.

·
8,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
As promised, a very special watch today.

Brown Watch Wood Clock Material property

A 1986 issued Generation 1 RAF SEIKO pilots chronograph.
There are two generations of this watch, and then later Pulsar made some similar watches (Pulsar being a budget brand of Seiko), these are all collectable, but the Generation 1, with no date, and the 1/10th seconds at 3 o'clock is the hardest to find, IMHO the coolest, and definitely the one that holds a dear place in my heart (more on this later). These are SUPER hard to find, especially in as good condition as this, and I'll forever cherish this one; I'd actually been keeping space in my SEIKO box for one of these.

So about these wonderful little watches:
When the contract with Swiss maker Valjoux ended in the 1980's, the MOD wanted accuracy, reliability and robustness to stand up the rigour of life inside the cockpit of their new "fast jet" aircraft; they turned to SEIKO, who commissioned this watch for them, using their proven accurate and robust caliber 7a28 at the core.

Being early quartz, the movement is incredible, it's fully metal inside, it features 19 jewel's and it's not only super accurate, but also it can be regulated in the same was as a traditional mechanical watch.

The Gen 2 is slightly different, again, all metal construction and can be "tuned" but they don't have jewel's, they feature a date complication, don't have the 1/10th second register (more a sweeping second hand) and I believe have a 24hr register at 9 with a different layout of the subdials. (Similar to my SNA 411 Flightmaster detailed a while ago in this thread)

Being quartz, there is always concern around the battery dying, which you do NOT want if you're using it for something as mission critical as flying a fast jet. SEIKO had a solution for that, the seconds dial at 6-oclock will tick once every 2 seconds to act as a low battery indicator. This was massively ahead of the curve.

A very interesting watch in its own right, as these are the first analogue quartz chronograph movements ever made, but these are also the first ever military issued quartz chronograph watch. The MOD issued these in October of 84, and they remained in circulation until replacement by the Gen 2 in November 90 when it was phased out for the Gen 2. Although 11k of these watches were issued, because they led a hard life getting bashed about inside the cockpit of a jet fighter or a military helicopter, its rare to find one, let alone a clean one.

Add to this the fact these are broad arrow marked, therefore property of the Crown and not the person issued to, these really should have been destroyed when taken out of circulation, but as with many of these things, they often found their way into the hands of asset disposal companies who would sell them on, although by then, they'd have just been a cheap watch so likely only found their way into the hands of collectors.

You can also get these with no lume, these are Navy issued for Nuclear Submarine crew and don't have the P indication on the dial to indicate the Promethium based lume (which would have interfered with the sensitive instruments in Nuclear Submarines). There's even Internet rumour of a yellow faced version that was issued to Vulcan air crew, but haven spoken to a few of the chaps who worked on and in those planes, they've said they can't confirm that to be true, would probably have remembered a yellow watch, and that the crew of those also had these watches issued. I've also found some paperwork from an old FOI request someone made on a military forum, suggesting no such watch was ever issued.

Why this watch is special to me:
I moved to Rutland in around 1988, from Letchworth in Hertfordshire, and I was a young and impressionable 6 year old at the time. When we first viewed our new home in Oakham, Rutland's county town, two Tornado jet fighter planes screamed over the house making me jump into my Dads arms, I was terrified, but at the same time fascinated by these planes. I'd seen the Red Arrows display team on the TV, I knew about the film Top Gun, but I'd only ever really seen passenger jet planes above Letchworth on their approach to Luton before then.

The experience actually made me closer to my Mums father.. the reason we moved to Oakham, was because when he served at RAF Wittering he fell in love with neighbouring Rutland, and wanted to move there when he was able to. They came into some money when I was young and bought my family home in Oakham so my brother and I could be near them, and so we could enjoy the cleaner air of the countryside. My life would have been very different if it wasn't for that.

As I got older, I used to spend a fair bit of time at RAF Cottesmore. I had friends stationed there, petrol heads, friends for life who I still talk to now, and was a regular face at the Motor Club there, even later on when the Harriers moved there seen helping install engines into Volkswagens that my mate Dave Fox used to have, "testing" vehicles around the airfield with enthusiasm, and did my first ever engine conversion (Subaru into a VW) at the hangars there.

These watches were what the "cool kids" had, the fast jet guys, the navigators, they wore these and they used to be everywhere, but they were never available as they belonged to the RAF, not the person wearing it. My uncle Anton also had one of these, but had to give it back when he left the RAF.. I used to play with it and watch the sub dials whizzing round, the watch fascinated me!

This particular watch is also very special, because a very dear friend of mine sourced it. I've been trying to get the odd one that comes through the military auctions near me but I always seem to get priced out. I'm absolutely elated with this one which I'm sure they know, but it never hurts to say thanks :).

·
Registered
8,751 Posts
Cracking story for a cracking timepiece. Health to enjoy it mate

a quick question - you mention the jewels. I was watching something antique-ey the other day and it alsomentioned jewels in watches. Are they a part of the movement / mechanism in some way or just for show ?

·
Administrator
167,144 Posts
As promised, a very special watch today.

View attachment 296784

A 1986 issued Generation 1 RAF SEIKO pilots chronograph.
There are two generations of this watch, and then later Pulsar made some similar watches (Pulsar being a budget brand of Seiko), these are all collectable, but the Generation 1, with no date, and the 1/10th seconds at 3 o'clock is the hardest to find, IMHO the coolest, and definitely the one that holds a dear place in my heart (more on this later). These are SUPER hard to find, especially in as good condition as this, and I'll forever cherish this one; I'd actually been keeping space in my SEIKO box for one of these.

So about these wonderful little watches:
When the contract with Swiss maker Valjoux ended in the 1980's, the MOD wanted accuracy, reliability and robustness to stand up the rigour of life inside the cockpit of their new "fast jet" aircraft; they turned to SEIKO, who commissioned this watch for them, using their proven accurate and robust caliber 7a28 at the core.

Being early quartz, the movement is incredible, it's fully metal inside, it features 19 jewel's and it's not only super accurate, but also it can be regulated in the same was as a traditional mechanical watch.

The Gen 2 is slightly different, again, all metal construction and can be "tuned" but they don't have jewel's, they feature a date complication, don't have the 1/10th second register (more a sweeping second hand) and I believe have a 24hr register at 9 with a different layout of the subdials. (Similar to my SNA 411 Flightmaster detailed a while ago in this thread)

Being quartz, there is always concern around the battery dying, which you do NOT want if you're using it for something as mission critical as flying a fast jet. SEIKO had a solution for that, the seconds dial at 6-oclock will tick once every 2 seconds to act as a low battery indicator. This was massively ahead of the curve.

A very interesting watch in its own right, as these are the first analogue quartz chronograph movements ever made, but these are also the first ever military issued quartz chronograph watch. The MOD issued these in October of 84, and they remained in circulation until replacement by the Gen 2 in November 90 when it was phased out for the Gen 2. Although 11k of these watches were issued, because they led a hard life getting bashed about inside the cockpit of a jet fighter or a military helicopter, its rare to find one, let alone a clean one.

Add to this the fact these are broad arrow marked, therefore property of the Crown and not the person issued to, these really should have been destroyed when taken out of circulation, but as with many of these things, they often found their way into the hands of asset disposal companies who would sell them on, although by then, they'd have just been a cheap watch so likely only found their way into the hands of collectors.

You can also get these with no lume, these are Navy issued for Nuclear Submarine crew and don't have the P indication on the dial to indicate the Promethium based lume (which would have interfered with the sensitive instruments in Nuclear Submarines). There's even Internet rumour of a yellow faced version that was issued to Vulcan air crew, but haven spoken to a few of the chaps who worked on and in those planes, they've said they can't confirm that to be true, would probably have remembered a yellow watch, and that the crew of those also had these watches issued. I've also found some paperwork from an old FOI request someone made on a military forum, suggesting no such watch was ever issued.

Why this watch is special to me:
I moved to Rutland in around 1988, from Letchworth in Hertfordshire, and I was a young and impressionable 6 year old at the time. When we first viewed our new home in Oakham, Rutland's county town, two Tornado jet fighter planes screamed over the house making me jump into my Dads arms, I was terrified, but at the same time fascinated by these planes. I'd seen the Red Arrows display team on the TV, I knew about the film Top Gun, but I'd only ever really seen passenger jet planes above Letchworth on their approach to Luton before then.

The experience actually made me closer to my Mums father.. the reason we moved to Oakham, was because when he served at RAF Wittering he fell in love with neighbouring Rutland, and wanted to move there when he was able to. They came into some money when I was young and bought my family home in Oakham so my brother and I could be near them, and so we could enjoy the cleaner air of the countryside. My life would have been very different if it wasn't for that.

As I got older, I used to spend a fair bit of time at RAF Cottesmore. I had friends stationed there, petrol heads, friends for life who I still talk to now, and was a regular face at the Motor Club there, even later on when the Harriers moved there seen helping install engines into Volkswagens that my mate Dave Fox used to have, "testing" vehicles around the airfield with enthusiasm, and did my first ever engine conversion (Subaru into a VW) at the hangars there.

These watches were what the "cool kids" had, the fast jet guys, the navigators, they wore these and they used to be everywhere, but they were never available as they belonged to the RAF, not the person wearing it. My uncle Anton also had one of these, but had to give it back when he left the RAF.. I used to play with it and watch the sub dials whizzing round, the watch fascinated me!

This particular watch is also very special, because a very dear friend of mine sourced it. I've been trying to get the odd one that comes through the military auctions near me but I always seem to get priced out. I'm absolutely elated with this one which I'm sure they know, but it never hurts to say thanks :).
Ace. 👍

·
Administrator
167,144 Posts
Cracking story for a cracking timepiece. Health to enjoy it mate

a quick question - you mention the jewels. I was watching something antique-ey the other day and it alsomentioned jewels in watches. Are they a part of the movement / mechanism in some way or just for show ?
In watch movements, the jewels are used like tiny bearings dude.

·
Registered
8,751 Posts
You set off buggers have got me regularly looking at FB marketplace so most of my links are now watches !!
Dave - there’s a “Seiko 5 speed racer automatic SNK369K1” for sale near me. Worth a look ??

·
8,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Seiko 5 speed racer automatic SNK369K1”
Depends mate, is it cheap?

I don't have one in my own collection, but they're quite a funky thing. The movement isn't hacking or hand winding, it's a 37mm case on those, but the 7S26-01V0 movement is a reliable old thing that tends to just keep working with a shake and regular wear.

The first watch I posted in this thread is my SNK80x with a field watch style in green, it's the same watch in the different case, with a different face and a bracelet, so a bit more sporty.

Speedracer SNK369K1's can be had for about £100 if you shop around new, so bear that in mind.

181 - 200 of 449 Posts