Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just a Sekonda here, 'cos I'm poor! My solar powered Citizen is sitting next to my not working Pulsar fitted with a CBM Commadore (old red LED watch from the 70's) strap/bracelet 'cos the Pulsar one snapped years ago and I can't find a replacement.
I've got a Sekonda in my watchbox as well mate, it'll feature another day on this thread.

Very cool. I like integrated bracelet watches (the AP Royal Oaks are beautiful - and expensive.)

Health to enjoy.
That Pagani Off-Shore alike I ordered arrived yesterday, but one of the screws on the bezel isn't properly installed (they've cross threaded during install and it sits proud of the others!), which has annoyed me a bit. One of the issues with affordable watches is the customer service you need to deal with if there is a problem, especially if like me you order a few from China.

·
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Todays offering is one of the nicer pieces that I own.

Watch Wheel Clock Rim Watch accessory

It's a Christopher Ward C63 Sealander, which is a very simple, no bezel 39mm watch, with a Swiss Sellita SW-200 movement. This one I really enjoy and wear quite a lot as it tends to go with most things, and can be dressed up or down with a quick strap change. It's shown here on the hybrid rubber CW bracelet, and I'm wearing a Golf GTI T shirt, and a pair of Nike low dunk SB's in the black and red Chicago colourway (think classic black and red Nike Air Jordans, you get the idea) I often match my watches to what I'm wearing that day.

It gives me late 1980's hot hatch vibes with the black and red, and the cutting on the case in really nice, it catches the light really well and I do keep finding new details that I like. This one literally arrived with another one for the Brads Auction in orange and white (another mega cool combination) the Friday that I was due to leave for the event.

Lume on this one is insane, pops a really nice bright blue and stays glowing quite late into the night, which if you're like me and often wake in the night is a useful thing.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

·
Administrator
166,881 Posts
Todays offering is one of the nicer pieces that I own.

View attachment 295673

It's a Christopher Ward C63 Sealander, which is a very simple, no bezel 39mm watch, with a Swiss Sellita SW-200 movement. This one I really enjoy and wear quite a lot as it tends to go with most things, and can be dressed up or down with a quick strap change. It's shown here on the hybrid rubber CW bracelet, and I'm wearing a Golf GTI T shirt, and a pair of Nike low dunk SB's in the black and red Chicago colourway (think classic black and red Nike Air Jordans, you get the idea) I often match my watches to what I'm wearing that day.

It gives me late 1980's hot hatch vibes with the black and red, and the cutting on the case in really nice, it catches the light really well and I do keep finding new details that I like. This one literally arrived with another one for the Brads Auction in orange and white (another mega cool combination) the Friday that I was due to leave for the event.

Lume on this one is insane, pops a really nice bright blue and stays glowing quite late into the night, which if you're like me and often wake in the night is a useful thing.
Very nice Dave. (y)

·
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OK, so this one is a bit of a favourite of mine.. it might come as a shock to many of you who've been reading this for the last few days.. it's a Seiko.

Watch Analog watch Product Clock Watch accessory

So this one I bought a few months ago now, as I fancied a new watch. I said I'd keep it standard, however I didn't like the bracelet it came on out of the box. Initially I tried it on some orange straps, which was a lot of fun, but I've settled for this bracelet with solid end links and a milled clasp, basically the way Seiko should have made it in the first place.

Here's a shot on the orange rubber:
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Wrist

42mm this one, but being a Seiko it has a short lug to lug and the taper means it hugs the wrist, really comfortable to wear. The picture doesn't really show the sunburst orange dial very well, but when the light hits it just pops. The Seiko LumiBrite is generously applied to the hands and the indices, meaning after just a bit of sunlight these really do glow in low light.

This is a "desk diver", Seiko fans will recognise it's very much of the same ilk as the SKX range, however it doesn't have a screw down crown, but does have a screw down display case back. Fitted with an NH36 movement, this has day and date, and features hacking and hand winding, which is nice. It's also got some gold touches, which sort of "dress up" what was once a "tool watch". Some folks don't like this about the Seiko 5 sports range, but lets be honest, most divers now used dive computers, and most people who wear watches seldom dive with them.. I know some do, but watches aren't the "do a job" things they once were.

The bezel insert is aluminium, it doesn't have any lume so it'd be useless for dive calculations but I do sometimes use the bezel to time things, especially when I'm working on something for the first time to get an idea of how long tasks will take, or if I'm in the kitchen doing something.. watches are functional things. In standard dive function it's a unidirectional bezel (it'll only turn counter clockwise) and it's 120 clicks.

Glass is hardlex, which is a mineral glass with Seiko's "scratch resistant" coating, which is crap.. if I was inclined I'd replace it with a Sapphire Crystal, but if I was going to do that, there are Chinese watches in the same case, with a similar bracelet, face, and a better bezel, that use the same movement for a lot less money!.. but I wanted the Seiko.. as such I actually bought this from an authorised dealer in the UK and paid more than I should have for it, but it also meant I have some fall back with a UK guy should I get any issues with the watch and returns would be easy if stuff didn't line up!, with this one everything has, the chapter ring, the bezel, the indices are all good.. something "modern" Seiko's sadly have a reputation of getting wrong :(.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
When I go Trafford Centre the breitling shop is always empty.

·
Administrator
166,881 Posts
Watch Analog watch White Light Black

Today I'm wearing a 1959 vintage Rolex Submariner 6538 - often referred to as the 'big crown' because of the large winding crown (and no crown guards).

These early Subs are also often called the 'James Bond' Submariner as Sean Connery wore one in his first Bond film (Dr. No). The story goes that a young Connery arrived on set wearing a Timex (or similar) and producer/director, Cubby Broccoli was like "WTF?! James Bond doesn't wear a Timex!" - and gave Connery the Rolex off his own wrist. I think there may be a bit of 'urban myth' to this though - as, if you read the novels, Ian Fleming referred to Bond wearing a Rolex - the general opinion between Rolex buffs is that Fleming was probably referring to a Rolex Explorer 1016 though, which was his own personal watch of choice. Either way, Bond wore Submariners right up to Roger Moore's portrayal.

With the arrival of Pierce Brosnan, Bond started wearing Omega Seadwellers - this was a clever bit of 'product placement' on Omega's part (I believe they 'donated' a load of watches to the cast and crew) - and since then, particularly during Daniel Craig's tenure, the James Bond/Omega Seadweller tie up has included Omega making limited edition versions featuring the '007' logo etc. (presumably there's a licence deal). These limited editions have become very popular amongst collectors and the latest version - the titanium 'No Time To Die' Seadweller (library pic below) is selling like crazy.

Anyway... I'm rambling. Enjoy your watches guys. :) (y)

Watch Brown Analog watch White Light

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,My Doxa 750T. I think I’ve had it around 7 years and it’s always on my wrist. It could do with clean and a touch up on the dive times but thats about it I think .?
Watch Brown Analog watch Watch accessory Clock

·
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
When I go Trafford Centre the breitling shop is always empty.
Rolex AD's usually don't have any stock in these days either apparently.. it's there's a certain value to things being "exclusive" I guess.

View attachment 295702

Today I'm wearing a 1959 vintage Rolex Submariner 6538 - often referred to as the 'big crown' because of the large winding crown (and no crown guards).

These early Subs are also often called the 'James Bond' Submariner as Sean Connery wore one in his first Bond film (Dr. No). The story goes that a young Connery arrived on set wearing a Timex (or similar) and producer/director, Cubby Broccoli was like "WTF?! James Bond doesn't wear a Timex!" - and gave Connery the Rolex off his own wrist. I think there may be a bit of 'urban myth' to this though - as, if you read the novels, Ian Fleming referred to Bond wearing a Rolex - the general opinion between Rolex buffs is that Fleming was probably referring to a Rolex Explorer 1016 though, which was his own personal watch of choice. Either way, Bond wore Submariners right up to Roger Moore's portrayal.

With the arrival of Pierce Brosnan, Bond started wearing Omega Seadwellers - this was a clever bit of 'product placement' on Omega's part (I believe they 'donated' a load of watches to the cast and crew) - and since then, particularly during Daniel Craig's tenure, the James Bond/Omega Seadweller tie up has included Omega making limited edition versions featuring the '007' logo etc. (presumably there's a licence deal). These limited editions have become very popular amongst collectors and the latest version - the titanium 'No Time To Die' Seadweller (library pic below) is selling like crazy.

Anyway... I'm rambling. Enjoy your watches guys. :) (y)

View attachment 295703
That's a beautiful watch. I'm a bit of a bond fan myself but "my" Bond was Roger Moore, that's the one I grew up watching through the late 80's at least, which is one of the reasons I really like Seiko watches too, they made a LOT of appearances in the 80's and 90's in film, they even appeared on my hero Ayrton Senna's wrist until he got TAG sponsorship.

The Bond watches thing is quite interesting, he's worn a few brands in his time. As you said the early films he had Rolex's, various subs, and then in Thunderball he wore a Brietling Top Time, there was a gold and white faced dress watch in you Only Live Twice I think, and then again in Diamonds are forever. In my era of Bond films (or at least the ones I saw on TV when growing up), There was the Pulsar Digital watch, the Seiko 0674 LC that printed messages, a memory bank calculator in Moonraker, a Seiko Quartz Rolex-a-like in a View to a Kill and I'm sure there were more I've missed!

I've not seen the new film yet, but I'm guessing it'll be another Omega advert with some film around it 😄, interestingly I think they're re-writing the character a bit with the new films, as such I can see we'll see other brands creep on to 007's wrist.. but I always associate Bond with either Rolex Subs, or Seiko's

Hi,My Doxa 750T. I think I’ve had it around 7 years and it’s always on my wrist. It could do with clean and a touch up on the dive times but thats about it I think .?
View attachment 295706
Love a DOXA :)

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
These limited editions have become very popular amongst collectors and the latest version - the titanium 'No Time To Die' Seadweller (library pic below) is selling like crazy.

View attachment 295703
Interesting to see the "crow's foot" emblem on there. Its often engraved or printed on MoD or Government Service items of "worth" - watches, binos, patrol compasses etc.

·
Administrator
166,881 Posts
Interesting to see the "crow's foot" emblem on there. Its often engraved or printed on MoD or Government Service items of "worth" - watches, binos, patrol compasses etc.
Watch guys often refer to that as the 'thin arrow' - and yes, it's reserved for MoD/Government 'specified' kit. My Rolex Milsub has one - as does my Hamilton 60s 'British Officer's' watch. (Below).

I'm not sure how Omega got away with this one. 😂

Watch Analog watch Photograph Gesture Clock

·
Administrator
166,881 Posts
That's a beautiful watch. I'm a bit of a bond fan myself but "my" Bond was Roger Moore, that's the one I grew up watching through the late 80's at least, which is one of the reasons I really like Seiko watches too, they made a LOT of appearances in the 80's and 90's in film, they even appeared on my hero Ayrton Senna's wrist until he got TAG sponsorship.

The Bond watches thing is quite interesting, he's worn a few brands in his time. As you said the early films he had Rolex's, various subs, and then in Thunderball he wore a Brietling Top Time, there was a gold and white faced dress watch in you Only Live Twice I think, and then again in Diamonds are forever. In my era of Bond films (or at least the ones I saw on TV when growing up), There was the Pulsar Digital watch, the Seiko 0674 LC that printed messages, a memory bank calculator in Moonraker, a Seiko Quartz Rolex-a-like in a View to a Kill and I'm sure there were more I've missed!

I've not seen the new film yet, but I'm guessing it'll be another Omega advert with some film around it 😄, interestingly I think they're re-writing the character a bit with the new films, as such I can see we'll see other brands creep on to 007's wrist.. but I always associate Bond with either Rolex Subs, or Seiko's
Don't forget Roger Moore's Submariner that doubled as a mini circular saw and a garrot. :)

·
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Something a bit different today. Annoyingly this one has arrived with some damage to one of the screw heads, but it's a risk you take buying from China. I could send it back and get refunded, but the replacement ones have now started to reach a price where it'd cost me more, so I'll live with it, the picture is more noticeable than when it's in use and I paid less than I spend filling up the car.

However that does neatly Segway into Chinese watches. So there are some really nice watches from China if you don't mind taking the risk, and it's as easy as buying on Amazon or eBay these days using Ali-Express, but you do need to be aware of a few things.. if the watch you're looking at has a logo blurred out, it's probably a replica of a known brand, I'd avoid these. I don't want to make this a thread about replica watches, but to my mind at least, there's a difference between a homage of a classic design and a replica, and the replicas you really need to know what you're getting yourself into.

I won't comment on my own views on replicas, but you also won't see any replicas on this thread from me. I do however have some homage watches, which are usually branded by the manufacturer they're made by (some come with a "sterile" dial, no markings) and are based on well known designs with a good quality watch movement fitted.

The below watch is what I'd consider a homage, it's marked as a Pagani Design, so not pretending to be something it's not, but it also has some clear design queues from a well known classic watch, in this case the AP Royal Oak range.

Watch Analog watch Product Clock Everyday carry

I wanted to try a cheap integrated bracelet with this case shape, as I really wasn't sure how it'd feel on the wrist, it's not one I'll wear all the time, but its quite a cool thing, especially when the light hits it.

Mecha-Quartz movement from Seiko, it's a Chronograph with a Tachymeter scale. Watch people will know the design, it's basically a rip off of the Royal Oak "offshore" with a blue waffle design dial that you really need to see to appreciate, silver sub dials at 6 for minute seconds, 3 for 24 hour register, and 9 for elapsed minutes.. The pushers are screw down as is the crown and case back, and it's got a sapphire crystal. It's basically a stop watch for my wrist but it's also got 200m of water resistance. It also has a date complication nestled between 4 and 5 o'clock.

I often wear chronograph watches when I'm driving and like an absolute geek I'll time segments of my journey.. it's simple pleasure :).. also gets used a fair bit when I'm cooking, and because it does up to 60 minutes timing I often use them when doing new tasks so I can time for documentation. (My job sometimes means I have to write engineering documents and task instruction with timings as a guide).

The Tachymeter scale is used for units of measurement per hour.. it's a simple mathematical formula that basically allows you to time things like an elapsed mile and calculate how many miles per hour average speed over that distance, or if you're doing something with say the wife.. like some DIY, you can set the timer when you start, stop at the first complaint, and that'll give you an idea of how many complaints per hour she's likely to make ;).. I joke of course.. I never do DIY with the wife!, I'm far too busy for that and she's much MUCH better at that sort of thing than I.

·
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Watch guys often refer to that as the 'thin arrow' - and yes, it's reserved for MoD/Government 'specified' kit. My Rolex Milsub has one - as does my Hamilton 60s 'British Officer's' watch. (Below).

I'm not sure how Omega got away with this one. 😂

View attachment 295719
I really want to get my hands on one of the 1st Generation Seiko Chronographs that were issued to RAF Tornado pilots :), they come with the same Ministry of War markings.

Citizen are also a bit cheeky with some of their branding..

Font Darkness Event Circle Photo caption

Taken form the dial of an NY0040-09EE.. That said Citizen do have quite some history of being used by the Marina Militare as a dive watch with this model, and for quite some time too.

·
Administrator
166,881 Posts
The below watch is what I'd consider a homage, it's marked as a Pagani Design, so not pretending to be something it's not, but it also has some clear design queues from a well known classic watch, in this case the AP Royal Oak range.

View attachment 295720

I wanted to try a cheap integrated bracelet with this case shape, as I really wasn't sure how it'd feel on the wrist, it's not one I'll wear all the time, but its quite a cool thing, especially when the light hits it.

Mecha-Quartz movement from Seiko, it's a Chronograph with a Tachymeter scale. Watch people will know the design, it's basically a rip off of the Royal Oak "offshore" with a blue waffle design dial that you really need to see to appreciate, silver sub dials at 6 for minute seconds, 3 for 24 hour register, and 9 for elapsed minutes.. The pushers are screw down as is the crown and case back, and it's got a sapphire crystal. It's basically a stop watch for my wrist but it's also got 200m of water resistance. It also has a date complication nestled between 4 and 5 o'clock.
Looks good Dave. :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
So. Why do watch buffs not like TAG watches.
Just asking

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I’ve recently returned to the Tag fold - after my trusty formula one died ( bought it when I was 16) and wasn’t repairable after 26 years of continuous wear ! However I still have a soft spot for them and recently bought this
Rectangle Material property Electric blue Emblem Symbol

as I tend to kill watches - my daily watch is a £12 Casio :D but it’s nice to wear something of quality at the weekends :D

21 - 40 of 78 Posts