Volkszone Forum banner
41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Morning folks.

Good to see a few other folks posting on here, AlexB, that's a lovely watch, very cool colourway that.

GARRICK.CLARK, well that's a complicated one really, it's not Heur that people have the issue with, it's the TAG part of the name.

Heur was an older maker, and they got purchased by TAG, who I think were a Saudi concern with a habit of using very familiar designs and basically getting their product everywhere they could, which I think rubbed a lot of folks up the wrong way.

And then there was the debacle around their chronograph movement, where they claimed it was an in-house calibre but failed to tell anyone that it was basically shared DNA with a design they'd purchased from Seiko some time before.

I gave you a break on Sunday, as I was down the unit for the most part as a result had my ugly G-Shock on. I did have to go and meet another watch guy later that day, so I swapped to the Chris Ward (which you've seen already).

The reason I went to see the watch chap was because he had an advert for a Seiko Sumo in Green.

The Sumo is a modern Dive Watch, with a really big case (45mm!) which is far bigger than I wear, but he mentioned it was sized for his 7" wrist... now, I have a 7" wrist and I know Seiko's tend to wear a lot smaller, so I had to go and take a look.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Wrist

And here it is yesterday on the wrist, it sort of melts around the wrist so actually feels quite comfortable and I do like the aesthetic.

So about the watch.
Well, it's a Seiko model reference spb103j1, the sumo, like many Seiko watches is the designation that fans give the watch, and there's a few thoughts as to why the name. Some schools of thought think it's due to its beefy size, others say the 12 o'clock marker looks like a Sumo wrestlers underwear.

This one is green, as such some people call it a "hulk" and it draws obvious comparisons between another well know Swiss divers watch.

I'm not usually a green dial man, however this one is almost black until the sunlight hits it, and then it looks really nice.

Comes with a 20mm bracelet, which I think helps it feel "smaller" on the wrist, typical nasty Seiko pressed steel clasp with dive extension and 4 points of micro adjust, but comes with Sapphire glass this time round, whereas most Seiko's have their proprietary hardlex. Lume is Seiko lumi-brite, which is awesome stuff and gives a neon green glow in low light and the movement is the Seiko 6R35 with 70 hours of power reserve.

Unsigned crown, but a good size and easy to use, tucked away at 4'oclock which helps with how it wears.

Would I buy this watch new?, no.. the RRP on these is silly, and even when you can get a discount, who wants to spend north of £500 on a Seiko? Sure it's got solid end links, it's got a sapphire crystal and a nicer movement, and yeah the case is really nice, but it's also got an unsigned crown and keeps an aluminium bezel insert.. there are nicer watches for your money out there.

But I let someone else take the depreciation on this and I'm more than happy with it for what I paid, so much so it's back on the wrist today.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
So with the massive choice of watches these days, what would be a good watch that is built well that most people can stretch to. I do like stainless watches with stainless straps. With as much technology as poss really. Taa

·
Administrator
166,914 Posts
Morning folks.

Good to see a few other folks posting on here, AlexB, that's a lovely watch, very cool colourway that.

GARRICK.CLARK, well that's a complicated one really, it's not Heur that people have the issue with, it's the TAG part of the name.

Heur was an older maker, and they got purchased by TAG, who I think were a Saudi concern with a habit of using very familiar designs and basically getting their product everywhere they could, which I think rubbed a lot of folks up the wrong way.

And then there was the debacle around their chronograph movement, where they claimed it was an in-house calibre but failed to tell anyone that it was basically shared DNA with a design they'd purchased from Seiko some time before.

I gave you a break on Sunday, as I was down the unit for the most part as a result had my ugly G-Shock on. I did have to go and meet another watch guy later that day, so I swapped to the Chris Ward (which you've seen already).

The reason I went to see the watch chap was because he had an advert for a Seiko Sumo in Green.

The Sumo is a modern Dive Watch, with a really big case (45mm!) which is far bigger than I wear, but he mentioned it was sized for his 7" wrist... now, I have a 7" wrist and I know Seiko's tend to wear a lot smaller, so I had to go and take a look.

View attachment 295748

And here it is yesterday on the wrist, it sort of melts around the wrist so actually feels quite comfortable and I do like the aesthetic.

So about the watch.
Well, it's a Seiko model reference spb103j1, the sumo, like many Seiko watches is the designation that fans give the watch, and there's a few thoughts as to why the name. Some schools of thought think it's due to its beefy size, others say the 12 o'clock marker looks like a Sumo wrestlers underwear.

This one is green, as such some people call it a "hulk" and it draws obvious comparisons between another well know Swiss divers watch.

I'm not usually a green dial man, however this one is almost black until the sunlight hits it, and then it looks really nice.

Comes with a 20mm bracelet, which I think helps it feel "smaller" on the wrist, typical nasty Seiko pressed steel clasp with dive extension and 4 points of micro adjust, but comes with Sapphire glass this time round, whereas most Seiko's have their proprietary hardlex. Lume is Seiko lumi-brite, which is awesome stuff and gives a neon green glow in low light and the movement is the Seiko 6R35 with 70 hours of power reserve.

Unsigned crown, but a good size and easy to use, tucked away at 4'oclock which helps with how it wears.

Would I buy this watch new?, no.. the RRP on these is silly, and even when you can get a discount, who wants to spend north of £500 on a Seiko? Sure it's got solid end links, it's got a sapphire crystal and a nicer movement, and yeah the case is really nice, but it's also got an unsigned crown and keeps an aluminium bezel insert.. there are nicer watches for your money out there.

But I let someone else take the depreciation on this and I'm more than happy with it for what I paid, so much so it's back on the wrist today.
Nice score Dave. :) (y)

·
Administrator
166,914 Posts
So with the massive choice of watches these days, what would be a good watch that is built well that most people can stretch to. I do like stainless watches with stainless straps. With as much technology as poss really. Taa
Ideally you want Swiss dude... although Japanese like SEIKO are good watches... see Dave above, he owns a few. Also there are even some very decent Chinese watches too. Swiss stuff will generally hold its value better though.

Depending on your budget, top of the shop is Rolex, if they're too expensive, Omega run a close second (in my opinion) and their Seadwellers and Speedmasters are fantastic.

If they still seem a little pricey, then HAMILTON would be my recommendation. They have good history in Military style watches and their current Khaki range has some fabulous watches - I'd like the 'Interstellar'/'Matthew McConaughey' myself - but their full range is worth checking out. All Swiss made (using mainly ETA movements) and great value.

I own both vintage and modern Hamiltons and they're all fantastic. :)

Good luck.

·
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Really, so much of that depends on what you want and what's important to you. I personally collect watches, they bring me a lot of pleasure and although I like to see them appreciate, they've all really been purchased because I like them. I do buy and sell a few and my collection is constantly evolving. Usually the stuff I keep ends up being Seiko stuff, and the Russian and Chinese ones I buy tend to get moved around a bit. I don't have many Swiss watches.. I've got my eye on an Omega at the moment, but they're expensive pieces and I'm restoring a couple of cars at the moment that are chewing into my watch money.

Others want to buy watches that are an appreciating asset that they can enjoy.. usually these means a bit more initial investment and in the case of those who are into vintage stuff, then there's a risk as well.

Some like clever, fun, cheap and easy to make their own. Seiko used to be masters of this and there's a massive modification scene around them, but they're really a bit more expensive than they used to be, as such the Vostok watches have really taken up that mantle, if you want something to mess about with that's clever, but not perhaps what I'd consider a "nice" watch, they're worth a look.

What Brian said is all true though. Some of the newer Swiss stuff is really clever. Omega are pushing the envelope at the moment but do tend to live in Rolex's shadow when it comes to mechanical watches.

If you're not worried about mechanical, (most collectors prefer that), then there's Quartz and Solar Quartz to consider. The Japanese tend to do this best, but you can find some nice Swiss watches with high quality quartz movements too.. Servicing is less, (they tend to need a battery and check over every 10 years and not much else), but the residual values will be less than a mechanical one would have been.

I hate to say it, because I'm a Seiko fan, and they do good quartz and solar quartz watches, but Citizen do better at this.

I also have a Christopher Ward, which if you want a low cost, really well finished do anything watch, the C63 Sealander is very good. They usually have a sale of some sort on or some discounts floating around the Internet, and you tend to pay around £500 for one on a strap, and a bit more for one on a bracelet, but it's a Sellita SW200 movement, it's nothing special, but it is good quality, you get nothing in terms of heritage for your money, they're a new brand in watch terms, but you get some really nicely finished watches. If the brand heritage and residual value is important to you, then Hamilton are a better bet.

·
Administrator
166,914 Posts
I also have a Christopher Ward, which if you want a low cost, really well finished do anything watch, the C63 Sealander is very good. They usually have a sale of some sort on or some discounts floating around the Internet, and you tend to pay around £500 for one on a strap, and a bit more for one on a bracelet, but it's a Sellita SW200 movement, it's nothing special, but it is good quality, you get nothing in terms of heritage for your money, they're a new brand in watch terms, but you get some really nicely finished watches.
Good call. (y)

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
I’m loving this thread. I love watches and am amazed at the high end, complicated pieces which stagger me with their complexity.
i rarely wear a watch (in fact I’ve not had one on my wrist for probably 15 years and my meagre collection is “dress” watches such as kahuna, timberland and fossil.
All of them need batteries and straps and are in a tin in the loft but i cannot bring myself to getting rid of them.
I was watching a “best of” antiques roadshow t’other day and there was an audemars piguet pocket watch feature which was just exquisite - and had an estimate of at least £15k !!

·
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I’m loving this thread. I love watches and am amazed at the high end, complicated pieces which stagger me with their complexity.
i rarely wear a watch (in fact I’ve not had one on my wrist for probably 15 years and my meagre collection is “dress” watches such as kahuna, timberland and fossil.
All of them need batteries and straps and are in a tin in the loft but i cannot bring myself to getting rid of them.
I was watching a “best of” antiques roadshow t’other day and there was an audemars piguet pocket watch feature which was just exquisite - and had an estimate of at least £15k !!
If you're enjoying it, I'll keep adding to it :).

I own a fossil as well. I bought a variety of batteries not long ago and resurrected all quartz stuff that had died and been forgotten about, and now a few of them sit inside the watch box with the mechanical ones, some have memories attached, some I just used to beat about with (including my fossil), when I knew very little about watches, and some I just bought as they make me smile.

AP are really well regarded and considered by many in horology circles as part of the Holy Trinity of watch makers, along with Patek Phillipe and Vacheron Constantin.

On to todays offering, and it's a mechanical column wheel chronograph, hand wound.

Sounds expensive right?, and usually you'd be right, I guess it's relative and to non watch people even at the current price it could be considered so, but this one isn't really an expensive watch, but it is a nice one and it's got a really interesting history.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

As you can probably tell, this one is from China. It's actually a re-issue of the 1963 Seagull Pilots watch, which uses the Seagull ST19 movement. You can get these watches on Ali-Express for a few hundred quid, depending on what sales are on, and they come from 38mm to 42mm in size, and with acrylic (more traditional) or sapphire crystals and usually are seen with gold Arabic numerals on the even numbers, with a champagne coloured face. Mine's a re-issue so I went for the more robust sapphire in mine and it's 39mm in size and a design that was more akin to my own taste.

The case is Stainless steel and this one has a display case back. The strap I purchased cheap as I didn't like the leather one it came with.. it's a Marine Nationale style elastic strap and I find it very comfortable and think it suits the look.

Seagull watches are a HUGE concern in China, they're part state funded and one of the largest manufacturers of mechanical movements in China. You can get loads of watches with Seagull movements in, Parnis used to use them in their earlier watches too before moving across to Seiko and one of my Brads auction lots (the watch that sold twice) was fitted with a Seagull automatic movement.

The ST19 movement is actually quite an interesting one, hand wound and originally 19 jewels, it's got some DNA links with the Swiss Venus Watch calibre 175, as the People’s Liberation Army Air Force required a pilots chronograph watch, so the Chinese government purchased the rights to the movement, the tooling and everything else and had it shipped from Switzerland to China under the guise of project 304, or so I've read.

Mine uses a 21 Jewel version of the movement, and to its credit is very accurate when wound. Originally these didn't have the panda sub dials (the panda eye sub dial at 3 o'clock is a 30 minute register and at 9 o'clock is ticking seconds) or the black tachymeter scale around the edge, but as I said, I purchase what I like, and I like this one.

Little bit about watches from China, because we've talked a bit about Swiss and Japanese ones.

China doesn't have to mean cheap, but it can mean cheap and the risks are higher. I've bought well over 50 watches from China in the past few years, and I've sold most of them to people who still wear and use them today without any issues.

Ali-Express is a good place to buy, but I'd recommend you find a brand you like the look of, find their "official store" on Ali-Express and buy from there.

The one watch I've ever had issues with is the Pagani Design chronograph in stainless steel that I posted earlier in this thread, and that was from the Pagrne offical store, not the Pagani one.. so be careful.. I did get offered a full refund if I return the watch (and they would provide me a UK address to ship to do manage this), but as I scored it so cheap I've decided to live with the one screw that's cosmetic and hardly noticeable on the wrist.

Some vendors offer 10 day shipping, sometimes it'll take longer, and you may get a customs import charge, so consider that when purchasing (I've not been stung for any charges yet). If your watch doesn't show up, you'll get refunded by Ali Express in a similar manner to how eBay works.

The risk is what happens when you get a "bad" watch, and they do appear sometimes.. you can often find you'll claim for either a discount if you wish to keep the item, or a full refund if you return it.

Also there are TONS of videos on various Chinese watches on YouTube if you wanted to get some idea of what you're getting. It really is a cheap way down the rabbit hole more affordable route into collecting, if that's your thing, or even just a way to get a nice watch for not much money.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Enjoying this thread, especially as it's coming into winter and I'll be wearing a watch again. I've nothing as nice as what's here, though.

·
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Enjoying this thread, especially as it's coming into winter and I'll be wearing a watch again. I've nothing as nice as what's here, though.
I'm fairly fortunate in that I've been able to get a few nice watches over the years, and they all tend to get worn in rotation, some are nice, some really aren't so nice, but it's part of collecting.

As long as you enjoy what you're wearing on your wrist, that's what's important, so don't be shy, and feel free to show us your watch. :)

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
These are mine. They’ve all been loved, used and abused including working on cars, on the beach, in the sea, in a pool, etc
Looking at them now I’m getting the urge to clean them all up, replace whatever needs replacing and actually wearing them again !!

Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Everyday carry

my fossil, a lorus and a timberland

Watch Brown Analog watch Gadget Clock

a brace of kahunas and a dead digital watch, the maker of which and the brand logo i do not know !
Textile Font Clock Strap Metal

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Stolen image, but I've had an Animal W002 for about twenty years now. It disappears and reappears from some shadow realm, I think. Was worn extensively offshore for years, has seen a good bit of the world with me, and now I can't find it.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
On my wrist just now is a silicon and maybe stainless Volkswagen GTI watch, bought from the factory shop at Autostadt. Has a proper VW part number and is, according to the back of it, one of the first batch. The strap has coordinates on it, which if you plug them into a map shows you a workshop on the factory grounds that I'm guessing the GTI was born in.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I've got a convincing enough if you don't look too hard Omega Seamaster as well, that I bought from one of the night markets in Hong Kong back in 2008. Hadn't even crossed my mind to buy a fake until my then boss asked me to bring him one back, so then it was a mission to find the best copies I could. Spent a good few hours looking, comparing, and obviously haggling and honestly really just enjoyed the chase. I think I spent about £50 on the two I bought, and when mine needed a fresh battery the boy at the key cutting place I used told me he should really destroy it as it was a fake on account of its internals being either Seiko or Sekonda...

·
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I've got a convincing enough if you don't look too hard Omega Seamaster as well, that I bought from one of the night markets in Hong Kong back in 2008. Hadn't even crossed my mind to buy a fake until my then boss asked me to bring him one back, so then it was a mission to find the best copies I could. Spent a good few hours looking, comparing, and obviously haggling and honestly really just enjoyed the chase. I think I spent about £50 on the two I bought, and when mine needed a fresh battery the boy at the key cutting place I used told me he should really destroy it as it was a fake on account of its internals being either Seiko or Sekonda...
I've been known to buy boxes of watches and the odd really really bad fake has found its way into my hands before. They're not for me, I've never seen the point but I've also seen some really good replicas. My mate has a good few steel rolexs and also wears the odd fake when he travels. When he sold his black no date sub he offered me his high end replica for free, but I'd never wear it so declined.. I'd honestly rather wear a homage than an all out replica myself but everyone has their own view on them.

·
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
There's a massive community around them, but they're not really for me is all.

Today I'm having a more casual day, so it's an old watch of mine that's been through loads with me.

Watch Analog watch Wood Clock Watch accessory

It's a black dialed Fossil Big Tic. They used to be everwhere, but as they're a fashion watch, they don't really appear much anymore.

It's got two batteries, one does the "ticking" seconds LCD display, the button changes the way in which the numbers scroll, and a conventional two hand movement is powered by another battery for the time.

This used to get worn every day when I first got it, it was used when I was working on my van, it was used when I was out making a nuisance of myself, and it was used when I was studying at college and later university.

It's a fashion watch, it's got an integrated bracelet, but it goes to show that things can and do last, and a watch, even a cheap watch, can last you if you let it.

I recently took some time to take the worst scratches out of the dial and to give the case a bit of a clean and buff, but not over-polish as it's got a story to tell.

·
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
You guys haven't seen this one yet.

Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Font

It's a homage of an old Rolex Submariner. Seiko NH35a movement (hack, hand wind, quick set date, 21,000bph), this one is accurate to within +4 seconds a day and I've not regulated it at all.

Really nice watch this, good quality stainless steel case, solid end link bracelet, around 40mm diameter excluding the crown guards, screw down crown and case back, and sapphire cyclops, crystal, and dive bezel. Has some really good lume applied to the hands, indices and the bezel and it really glows a bright blue in low light, solid end links on the bracelet, push pins for adjustment and three points of micro adjust on the clasp, which is pressed steel.

Best of all, these are really low cost watches. I paid £99.00 for this, but I also had it shipped from a UK seller, with the import paid and it came with a rubber strap with quick change pins, although I actually prefer these on a bracelet.

It's by no means perfect though, it has a pressed steel claps, the crown can be a bit awkward, and it doesn't have a dive extension, but these can be had for as little as £60 if you don't mind going the Ali-Express route rather than using SteeldiveUK to purchase.

Compare that with my green Sumo shown earlier in the thread, RRP is £780.00 on that watch.. really it's up to folks to decide what they want to pay for the added benefits you get with a higher end watch, personally I started with fashion watches, then a Seiko 5 field watch, but I collect.. not everyone is the same and a lot of folks who own a nice watch, only own one watch.. that's cool too, just enjoy what you have!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hi guys. I've looked over a lot of watches. My choice is a citizen Tsuno bull head. Looked for a limited edition one but there very rare.
Are they any good

41 - 60 of 137 Posts