Volkszone Forum banner
581 - 600 of 628 Posts

·
Saddest VZi'er 2021
9,510 Posts
And because getting mugged/stabbed for a £500 fake is significantly worse than if it is the real deal.
That's what I used to worry about, but the reality is the brand won't make any difference in a mugging situation, they just want whatever is on your wrist.
Fortunately, muggings have never been much of a problem around here.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
8,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 ·
The Quality of "Replica" Rolex is now so good that even experts are having to take them apart to confirm if they are genuine. If they are indistinguishable to all but a Horologist unless it's for investment why even buy a genuine Rolex?
As I've mentioned before, I tend to buy lots of watches (Sarah does the same with costume jewellery for her theatrical stuff) and I've had a few fakes come in.

The most recent actually made my heart skip a beat, and it was only when I picked it up and heard the rotor whizzing away I knew it was a fake, but I still had to take the back off to confirm, that said even now there are clone movements. It was a Panda Daytona ceramic.

I've not done my usual of tearing it apart of useable parts or chucking it on the press at the unit to get some slow motion replica smashing footage, because it's that good, but I've also not worn it other than to take some photos to send a mate either; he's a watch guy and said I should wear it as a beater, but we both kind of have the same view on snides, so I probably won't.

So why buy a gen?, because if I want (which I do) a Rolex, I'd know, and that's enough to stop me.

There are also arguments around organised crime funding around replicas and all sorts of other shady stuff that goes on, all of which doesn't sit well with me, but I also own a number of Ali Express Chinese branded watches, and if I'm honest with myself, I don't know the conditions they were made under either.

I'd rather wear, own and enjoy a genuine Seiko over a fake Rolex.

·
8,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #583 ·
That's what I used to worry about, but the reality is the brand won't make any difference in a mugging situation, they just want whatever is on your wrist.
Fortunately, muggings have never been much of a problem around here.
I tend to travel and wear a Casio F91W in areas that I know are a bit risky.

I've actually had an incident where I had trainers stolen when I was a teenager, and it makes me quite wary.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Well, sadly ive had to put another watch up for sale. Struggling with finances generally so one of my 3 keepers has got to go.
Just bringing it to your attention incase any of you are interested.

·
Administrator
167,166 Posts
I finally managed to get this... Porsche Design 7176S with a Lemania 5100 movement.

As worn by Tom Cruise as 'Maverick' in Top Gun (and the sequel I believe) and Mario Andretti when he won the F1 Championship (in 1978?)

I've been looking for years, many examples are pretty beaten up with the black PVD coating chipped etc.

This one has spent its life in a safe (it will get worn now though) - and it was fairly local here in France. :)

Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

·
8,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #587 ·
I finally managed to get this... Porsche Design 7176S with a Lemania 5100 movement.

As worn by Tom Cruise as 'Maverick' in Top Gun (and the sequel I believe) and Mario Andretti when he won the F1 Championship (in 1978?)

I've been looking for years, many examples are pretty beaten up with the black PVD coating chipped etc.

This one has spent its life in a safe (it will get worn now though) - and it was fairly local here in France. :)

View attachment 300613
Glad you managed to get one, I know you've been chasing for a while now.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2021
9,510 Posts

View attachment 300613
That's a really nice watch, but I wouldn't buy one because I'd be knocking lumps of black off that in no time. :)

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure that it will sell and think the starting price is fair.
Well the watch didnt sell. But to be honest it was priced a little high. But thats what i would have wanted to let it go.
Im quite happy about it as i would have been sad to see it go.
Will just have to watch the pennies for a little while.

·
Administrator
167,166 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some very nice watches here, I’ve got a quartz Omega seamaster, not rare or anything special. My only watch that I really love is my Swatch The Designers Republic (TDR) collaboration.
Watch Product Rectangle Clock Material property

I’m a big Pop will eat itself fan and TDR did most of their artwork amongst loads of other stuff.

581 - 600 of 628 Posts