Volkszone Forum banner
601 - 620 of 628 Posts

·
I really must get out more
5,330 Posts
I supposed you'd call this a 'cupboard find' rather than a 'barn find'...So my dad died in 2005 and yesterday I was going through some papers and documents of his that I had stored away. While doing this, I found his watch which I'd nearly forgotten about. He bought it in the 1960s, and while it was his 'best' watch, he wore it regularly. I wound it up and it appears to work perfectly.
Some very brief internet research tells me it is a pre-Breitling Cardinal Rallye GT divers watch. 23 jewels and it looks in good condition.
It brought back some very fond memories, and I will probably keep it and wear it occasionally now that it is out. I may well take it for a service and valuation first though.
Thought you guys might be interested.
Watch Analog watch Product Clock Watch accessory

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Well, sadly ive had to put another watch up for sale. Struggling with finances generally so one of my 3 keepers has got to go.
Just bringing it to your attention incase any of you are interested.

Probably a good thing this didn't sell. Already well on my way to digging myself out of a financial hole (brought on by over spending on things i dont need).

Wore it all day yesterday and it had stopped running after 12 hours. Been ok every other time ive worn it.

Due a service im guessing. And with the paint loss on the dial its probably better ive kept it.
I'll send it off for a good once over at some point.

Rich

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
8,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 ·
I've not really had much rotation in my collection of late, a few expensive months one after the other have meant that watches have been pretty low on my list of things to buy, however there are some nice ones I've had my eye on, so that may change in the coming months. Time will tell.. no pun indented.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Quick question.
When did seiko start using clear case backs?
Saw a watch the other day described as vintage that had a clear case. Vintage style at best surely.

·
8,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
Quick question.
When did seiko start using clear case backs?
Saw a watch the other day described as vintage that had a clear case. Vintage style at best surely.
The earliest I remember seeing them in the SNK era Seiko 5's to be honest, so early 2000's?, that's 22 years old, so some might consider it "vintage". Remember Seiko really pushed quartz when a lot of other brands would be considered "vintage", as such no display case backs.

Had a passing glance at a Sealander 36mm. Just feels like CW are hyping them too much for my liking making them limited edition.
Yeah, I'm not really sold on them. It's very much jumping on the OP36 band wagon, that said if it worked for them, it may work for CW, and I'd rather they sell watches and keep in business. the 39 I have is plenty for me though.

·
Administrator
167,166 Posts

·
8,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #614 ·
The wait is over!
View attachment 300892

I was so relieved / happy to finally see it arrive this morning - my shiny new C60 Atoll ( #152 of 350 ).
View attachment 300893

I love it! The gradient azure dial is amazing. I was lucky to get one as apparently all 350 sold out within 48 hours.
😁 😁 😁
That's a beauty. I wanted to grab one of these but couldn't really make the numbers work at the time. Well done for getting one though! Mega.

·
8,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 ·
I managed to kill a G-Shock over the weekend, which I've had and use when working on cars since about 2008.

I actually took the watch off because I needed access to a tight area with the induction heater and didn't want to risk anything getting in the way if I had to get my hands out the area quickly. Popped the head of the heater on the bench next to the watch (the head doesn't get hot, it heats the area it's near), and then I managed to knock something to the foot actuated controls for the induction heater without realising, heating the bench and melting the G Shock..

Only me..

RIP Casio AW-519MS, you really did serve me well, and deserved better.

Obviously, in my frustration and anger at myself, I did what every watch enthusiast does when such a disaster befalls them, and got on the casio website to see what took my fancy from the current line up.

What I need is a basic, common, G-Shock to use and abuse.. Nothing fancy, definately nothing that's likely to become rare and collectable, because it's a beater watch.. Something like a really basic GA-2100 would fit the bill fine.

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Watch accessory Clock

These caught my eye, absolutely don't fit the bill, because they're using what Casio call full-surface gradated crystal finish, so absolutely aren't suitable for knocking around the workshop.

Naturally I bought both of them, and still don't have a beater watch for the workshop.

·
8,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 ·
I've never got the G-shock thing, but they are pretty special
It's really just something you can beat the snot out of and not feel bad about, they're cheap, they're accurate, they're tough.

I've got an F91W as well, a £10 watch that is accurate, does what a watch needs to do, and is fairly tough, but not G Shock tough, and I've actually killed one of them before by using impact tools with them on the wrist, cutting through some welded to the pan heater channels on a beetle with the air hammer and chisel, so my F91 gets used as a disposable watch for concerts and stuff.

I have to admit, when I bought my previous G Shock, it was mostly because it felt a bit more "grown up" because it had hands, rather than just the digi display of the F91, and it did get worn casually quite a bit too, but my tastes have changed a bit, and in its later life it was relegated to workshop duty.

The GA2100 Octagonal ones do have a bit of a cult following; I suspect it's because of the whole CasiOak modding thing, and their appearance on the wrists of Urban Music artists, I don't see myself grabbing a load of them, but I will likely get a solar one for beating up on a bit, as well as using these two for casual wear.

Did I mention watch collecting is an illness?

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
They're very nice 😎.
I was in town on Saturday getting a few bits. Tried to look in the shop windows at some watches for sale but my other half was rolling her eyes so didn't get the chance to go in anywhere.
Probably for the best 😄

601 - 620 of 628 Posts