Volkszone Forum banner
121 - 140 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
She's a chonky gal that's for sure. Swiss champ, used to carry it everywhere, but it's mostly used for opening parcels now days.
Always been a Leatherman user, and have a few "freebie" Gerbers, but this minature Victorinox sits in the top of the desk drawer and gets used a lot these days

Purple Wood Writing implement Violet Finger

Reactions: Dave Dorson

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Todays offering is a strange one. I love the look of this and it's one I was bought at a time that I knew very little about watches other than I liked them.

Unfortunately, as nice and busy (and brietling-esque) as the dial is, because of the way this watch was made, with the large seconds ticking and the subdial at 6 being the chronograph seconds register), it's absolutely useless.

Watch Analog watch Peripheral Input device Light

Straps are just cheap leather ones but are QR so I can swap them around depending on my mood.. the original ones fell apart a long time ago.

I was given this watch by my wife, so it's always going to be a bit of a special one in that sense.. it's not super accurate, it's really not very useful, but it does tell time, tells me the day and to most people, it's an attractive watch.

It also makes me smile, because I think of the terrible Sekonda adverts every time I wear it.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Do any of you gents collect or own pocket watches ?
I have one that I inherited.... I think best described as a drawer find 'non-runner'.... I'll dig it out and take a pic when I get a mo. Keep meaning to find out about it... could be worth a small fortune LOL!

Reactions: slim_adi

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thanks Dave. What I've noticed is looking at watches on Say you tube they look better than in real life. Going to a watch shop, with hundreds of watches make buying 1 more tricky. I did see some good Hamiltons yesterday. Do I really need split timing etc. Probably not. A full face lumo with a date Is all I need really

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Always been a Leatherman user, and have a few "freebie" Gerbers, but this minature Victorinox sits in the top of the desk drawer and gets used a lot these days

View attachment 295882
I used to work for a company that supplied the material to make the plastic side casings for Victorinox and we got give loads of those small ones i had them in blue black green and clear and various shades of there iconic red

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
The Vostok Europe or Amphibia look a good deal.
The Europe ones are a funny thing and not something I'd really buy. They apparently came about because people were owed shares but when the country collapsed they were allowed to use the name under licence so people did that.. you can get a better deal with an Orient in my opinion.

But the Amphibia classic and the Komanderski models use a well proven tank of a movement.

They're cheap, I'd not say nice though, just interesting and clever, some would say quirky. I think they're another one you tend to buy if and when you've got a few watches as part of a collection, but I don't think it'd ever be my "one" watch, whereas I could spend £50 or so more on a Citizen, Seiko or even a Casio and be fine and content that it's my one watch.. for a long time my humble Seiko SNK field watch was my only watch that regularly got worn.

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
Something a bit different today from the late 1970s.

Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Computer keyboard
Watch Hand Arm Human body Gesture
Watch Analog watch Shelf Clock Everyday carry

Dating from around 1978, this is one of those odd Seiko mechanical quartz watches that I honestly believe are one of the most overlooked watches in collecting right now.

It's a Type II quartz so this isn't the top line and it's a single quartz movement rather than a double thermal compensated high accuracy movement, however it's still a marvel of watch making, and horologically a massively important watch.

My one is a Japan/Asia market one with Kanji/English language date wheel, and it's a jeweled mechanical movement with a quartz occilator driving it rather than a spring.. these things almost killed the Swiss Watch industry dead.

I've pictured it next to my "5kx" to give an idea how much smaller watches used to be. This feels really nice on wrist and is hugely over engineered.
This wasn't the most expensive watch Seiko made in the late 1970s but it was still a significantly expensive watch to the everyman.

You can pick these up still at car boots and charity shops if you're lucky like I was and pay around £5.00 the market value today is only £100-200 for this kind of the thing from this vintage too.

There are similar watches with SQ printed on the dial which are much later and don't use the same mechanical quartz movement and tend to have a solid case back (mine has a separate battery service cap), they can be had for pence but the movement is far less mechanical and over built.

·
Administrator
166,972 Posts
Something a bit different today from the late 1970s.

View attachment 295967 View attachment 295968 View attachment 295969

Dating from around 1978, this is one of those odd Seiko mechanical quartz watches that I honestly believe are one of the most overlooked watches in collecting right now.

It's a Type II quartz so this isn't the top line and it's a single quartz movement rather than a double thermal compensated high accuracy movement, however it's still a marvel of watch making, and horologically a massively important watch.

My one is a Japan/Asia market one with Kanji/English language date wheel, and it's a jeweled mechanical movement with a quartz occilator driving it rather than a spring.. these things almost killed the Swiss Watch industry dead.

I've pictured it next to my "5kx" to give an idea how much smaller watches used to be. This feels really nice on wrist and is hugely over engineered.
This wasn't the most expensive watch Seiko made in the late 1970s but it was still a significantly expensive watch to the everyman.

You can pick these up still at car boots and charity shops if you're lucky like I was and pay around £5.00 the market value today is only £100-200 for this kind of the thing from this vintage too.

There are similar watches with SQ printed on the dial which are much later and don't use the same mechanical quartz movement and tend to have a solid case back (mine has a separate battery service cap), they can be had for pence but the movement is far less mechanical and over built.
Very cool Dave. :)

·
Saddest VZi'er 2021
9,418 Posts
There's some serious watch envy going on here. Whilst not owning any watches of value, I do have an example of what is probably the most useless watch ever.

Brown Rectangle Font Gas Tints and shades

'Tis a Swiss Tian Harlan designed Chromachron, and I have no idea of how to tell the time on it.

Talking of watches with no value, we found this long lost, and badly weathered ladies Rolex quartz in a scrap Jag.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Gold

The dial has faded, probably due to damp creeping in. What is even more faded are the words Hong Kong right at the bottom of the face.

Oh well, back in the scrap bin it is...😕

·
Administrator
166,972 Posts
There's some serious watch envy going on here. Whilst not owning any watches of value, I do have an example of what is probably the most useless watch ever.

View attachment 295992

'Tis a Swiss Tian Harlan designed Chromachron, and I have no idea of how to tell the time on it.
German designed (Tian Harlan) 'anti-stress' watch - it wasn't meant to be accurate* - but 'fun'.

The square ones ^ were mechanical movements, I believe, while the round/circular variants were quartz based.

They're actually quite collectible (to some folk) and do have a following.

Here's an interesting article on Hodinkee from a collector: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/chromachron-a-radically-new-approach-to-time

:)

* Yes, I realise that kinda defeats the object. :D

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·

View attachment 295992

Talking of watches with no value, we found this long lost, and badly weathered ladies Rolex quartz in a scrap Jag.

View attachment 295993

The dial has faded, probably due to damp creeping in. What is even more faded are the words Hong Kong right at the bottom of the face.

Oh well, back in the scrap bin it is...😕
A wise man once told me, buy more boxes, not less watches.. or something along those lines anyway. 😄

I've been honeymooning with the vintage seiko so it's not really left my wrist, other than to have a quick clean and re-lube of the gaskets since I got it.. the wife rolled her eyes this morning, stating that I spend all my money on these lovely expensive watches, and then a £5.00 car boot find gets worn morning noon and night.. she gets it, but she doesn't get it, if you get me o_O

I also have a 3003 Seiko from 1976 coming, cool thing if you're into 70's design, comes with a faced crystal dial, and a blue face in a stainless case.

Watch Analog watch Light Silver Clock

Watch Analog watch Clock Silver Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

(Pictures of actual watch :))

The flexible bracelet will go into the spares bin and I'll find the proper STL Seiko bracelet for it.

I've got a bit of a thing for these early quartz Seiko's with the mechanical jewelled hybrid quartz powered movements, so if anyone reading has anything like this for sale give me a shout (2002, 3003, 4004 etc).

These are great though, I think Seiko's of this era are built like absolute tanks, hugely over-engineered and a world away from the cheap quartz watches with generic plastic parts inside you see today.

There's a good reason too, you'll notice a the little lightning bolt symbol under the SQ QUARTZ text?, Seiko's of this era came from one of two plants, who were the same company but competing for design and technical innovation.

My Type II and my inbound 3003 have the same logo, this basically means they came from the Daini plant (Which is Seiko Instruments today).

Some Seiko's of the same era have an almost whirlpool logo, these come from the Suwa plant. (which today is Seiko Epson).

During the 1970's, although both Seiko watches, the two factories would have had separate design and engineering teams, as such there was a healthy inside competition, which is one of the reason so many watches from that era were produced. Ultimately, Suwa won the day, and a lot of the Grand Seiko watches you see today use their design queues and the 9F grand quartz movement comes from the linage as the watches of that era.

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I've seen a Chinese torbillon for £138. How long will it last. Haha
My Chinese Tourbillion is really nice (it's a carousel torbillion, not just an open heart watch as some reputed torbi's are), but the straps SUCKED. Don't think Chinese stuff is automatically rubbish, that simply isn't the case.

The things to be wary of with Chinese watches:

1. you need to wait for them to arrive.
  2. Customer Service sucks
  3. They don't have a good distribution network (you can find some on Amazon, but you pay more)
  4. Return and repair isn't worth the bother much of the time.
If you still fancy the gamble, then Ali Express is a good place to buy, try and find the official stores, and check YouTube for reviews, as there's a good community around them with some regular Vloggers who do good, honest reviews.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2021
9,418 Posts
German designed (Tian Harlan) 'anti-stress' watch - it wasn't meant to be accurate* - but 'fun'.

The square ones ^ were mechanical movements, I believe, while the round/circular variants were quartz based.

They're actually quite collectible (to some folk) and do have a following.

Here's an interesting article on Hodinkee from a collector: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/chromachron-a-radically-new-approach-to-time

:)

* Yes, I realise that kinda defeats the object. :D
Thanks for the info, Bri. I'm tending to agree with Tian's philosophy on timekeeping. :)

It is indeed a 17 jewel mechanical movement, which is ticking very quietly now that I've decided to give it the first wind in about twenty or thirty years.

Unfortunately, it's too small and delicate for me to wear, as I prefer heftier watches.

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I got this one in 2018. It's automatic but the crown fell off last year. I had bigger things to worry about so put it in a draw and forgot about it Talking to Dave Dorson, he reckons it's not s difficult fix. I'm hoping so as I really liked this one.
if it comes to life with a shake, the chances are it just needs a new crown and stem, so £30 or so plus labour. If they service it too while they have it, then maybe £200ish, shouldn't be a lot more as it's an ETA 2824 based movement in there. Good solid Swiss movement that.

I'm reading this thread thinking I need to replace my 10 yr old gshock as it's getting difficult to read from the grinder rash. Might drop a birthday hint and send the mrs this thread.
If you're reading this Mrs Flat4fanatic, then I'm sort of sorry.. :devilish:😄

If she's not reading, you'll likely get around the grinder rash with a dose of polywatch watch polish on the crystal, I've done really well restoring very scratched lenses this way.

121 - 140 of 186 Posts