Volkszone Forum banner
141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
I do like the pepsi one
Seiko watches dangerously addictive. I know collector's with litterally hundreds of Seikos in their collection.

No wrist update from me today, I'm in the Sumo which you've all seen before, however a bit of a box update..

Three models are going to new owners now. I didn't really bond with them and found I wasn't wearing them and when I did I wasn't enjoying them as much as other watches.

Two vintage Seikos are now finding their way to me, the 3003 I mentioned and a king quartz, both from the mid 70s.

And I may well be ordering a very special Christopher Ward soon too if I can get clearance from the director of domestic finance..

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Not checked in for a few days.. I'm wearing the Christopher Ward C63 Sealander again today, and will be throughout November... bet with Sarah that I can't wear the same watch for the whole month.

I've got three inbound this month though, a birth year and month Seiko quartz, a 70's King Quartz from Japan in nice original condition and a 1981 watch for my mate as a surprise gift for his 40th in December.

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Quartz clock

This lovely 1976 King Quartz arrived today from Japan. It's got a lovely dial which is almost like paper and textured, a nice textured finish stainless case and is all original and unpolished and unrestored, showing only a bit of patina. The mineral crystal has a few scratches but they would polish out with the diamond polish and some time if I was inclined to do so.l.. right now I'm not.

My Seiko collection is really coming along now, almost enough to fill a box up with Seiko watches alone.

Being the king quartz this watch is accurate to +10 / -15 seconds per month which was unheard of in 1976 and still hugely impressive today!

Because they have a partial mechanical movement it can be regulated and serviced too.

I've given it a quick clean with a cape cod cleaning cloth and chucked it with the other vintage Seikos for now.

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
While I'm on a vintage Seiko kick.. here's my birth month, birth year Seiko. Reference 5H23-5110, part of the Chronos Range this features a "Silver Wave" case, it's got a screw down crown and is water resistant to 100m, the date wheel is in English in this picture, but also features Kenji.

There's a hint of Seiko lumibrite lume on the hands and above the applied indices, the dial face is a patterned white one and is really really clean given the age of the watch, again, a tell late double triangle "lightning bolt" showing the Daini plant as the origin.

Watch Analog watch Product Rectangle Clock

Lovely dial, lovely condition, lovely thing.

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Dave, can you do a battery on a watch for me?
Christmas ornament Ornament Circle Jewellery Plastic
Wood Pattern Strap Fashion accessory Metal
Outerwear Wood Textile Rectangle Sleeve
Watch Analog watch Plant Wood Clock

I hate fashion watches but mates are mates. A battery is a few quid and cleaning it doesn't take much.

Hugo Boss commander in blue, uses a low grade 0 jewels Seiko quartz, but still accurate to 10 seconds a month or so.

I'll probably sell him a "nice" watch down the line as well.

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Watch Hand Analog watch Light Clock

Watch Brown Hand Analog watch White

Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

One out.. gifted this lovely Seiko SQ to a friend for his 40th birthday.. it's a birth year 81 (but not month) watch, added a seagull leather stitched strap as he doesn't do stainless bracelets and it's been sat in my box for months now.

Watches are coming down in size again now, but for reference the Christopher Ward is a 39mm and the Seiko is about 36mm

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
The Seestern looks fantastic. Are 'homages' seen as acceptable in the watch world? Seestern also do a monster homage, but it looks to be about the same price as a real one?

I've got a few homage watches, I'm absolutely fine with them.. some will sneer a bit but honestly, outside of watch fans, no one cares what watch is on your wrist or even what the brand is.

Homages I'm fine with, replicas not so much... When a homage is quite closely priced to the genuine item though I do tend to save a bit for the real one.

You'll probably find the homage is higher spec than the original though, Sapphire glass etc.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2021
9,418 Posts
Homages I'm fine with, replicas not so much...
What about complete and utter fakes? :)

My brother gave me this one about ten years ago -
Watch Analog watch Clock Gesture Watch accessory

It has a Miyota movement, and has been totally reliable. When I checked it when the clocks went back, it had lost a minute since last year.

I don't care that it's fake, it works, and I like the look of it. I just worry about getting mugged for it on the way home from the pub...

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
What about complete and utter fakes? :)

My brother gave me this one about ten years ago -
View attachment 296268
It has a Miyota movement, and has been totally reliable. When I checked it when the clocks went back, it had lost a minute since last year.

I don't care that it's fake, it works, and I like the look of it. I just worry about getting mugged for it on the way home from the pub...
There's all sorts of reasons why you shouldn't buy fakes, but there are some very good quality replicas out there too. In the UK it's illegal to sell a fake watch, which for me, who buys what he likes but also sells a few, they're a worthless addition that I'm then saddled with. I do have have some all out fakes as I've bought watch lots (assorted boxes of watches) in the past and they've been in the box, ones a really good Rolex replica but I don't ever wear it because when someone asks if it's real (which people will when they see Rolex) you and up having to lie or just say yeah it's a fake.. I'd rather a real Seiko than a fake "luxury" watch.

That's the thing though.. you can never lie to yourself about it. That's always been enough to put me off putting the money into a "good" fake.

As for buying a fake with a pattern movement inside, be that a Seiko, Miyota, or even an ETA, it's often the technology inside the watches that I like, and the replica's tend to fall short there. I know there are 1:1 fakes out there with replica movements as well, but these are usually the same money as something like my Christopher Ward or one of the nicer Seikos and again I'd rather buy them.

Your mileage may vary.

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
So I'm 8 days into wearing one watch all month and I'm still enjoying the Christopher Ward C63 Sealander Automatic. Sarah commented last night how well she thought I was doing with the whole thing, which made me go and polish the rest of my watches.

As mentioned, I buy and I do sell a few watches too, and I've got a pair of Aragon watches arriving today from the US, both automatic, both very chunky gals, neither really to my taste however one has Tritium Tubes and the good old Seiko NH35 inside which I'm a bit excited about as I've not had a Tritium watch in before, to he other has a skeletonised Seiko movement which I've not had one of before either so I'm keen to see how that looks when it arrives. Purchased both from Arragon directly because some friends expressed and interest in them but didn't want the hassle of making an international order. I do it all the time so said I'd so it for them and if they didn't like the watches I'll sell them on for them for a commission.

I'll update when they arrive.

·
Administrator
166,972 Posts
....a pair of Aragon watches arriving today from the US, both automatic, both very chunky gals, neither really to my taste however one has Tritium Tubes and the good old Seiko NH35 inside...

I'll update when they arrive.
I 'll be interested to read what you think of these Dave. I own one Aragon watch (and it's also chunky) - I bought it because of the floating Tourbillon and the mad lume. 😂

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
I 'll be interested to read what you think of these Dave. I own one Aragon watch (and it's also chunky) - I bought it because of the floating Tourbillon and the mad lume. 😂

View attachment 296270
I like that.

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Watch accessory

This thing is an absolute monster, 46mm diameter, 15+mm high, 50mmish lug to lug, so really much bigger than anything I'd wear, but it's really very well finished, great solid end links, great milled clasp, stainless brushing is fantastic, I really think this is a superb watch, it's really just too large for my taste, even if I wore it tighter I think I'd struggle with this one.

That said, it's really well done, like really nice, good bezel action, nicely machined, butter smooth to wind, good numbers on the timegraph, lovely screw down crown.. I like this watch.. if only it was smaller.

Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Automotive design

This one I could just about wear, and finish wise it's more of the same. The silicone strap is really nicely done, the skeletonised movement is really nicely finished, and it's got a ball bearing bezel, which is nice, but I feel has the tiniest bit of backlash.. the bezel action is lovely though, again, buttery smooth to wind, nice screw in crown action.
42mm without crown, a bit thinner but still fairly tall, but I'd actually wear something this size, just not with a shirt as it'd not slip under the cuff too well.

141 - 160 of 186 Posts