Volkszone Forum banner
161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Administrator
166,972 Posts
I like that.

View attachment 296277

This thing is an absolute monster, 46mm diameter, 15+mm high, 50mmish lug to lug, so really much bigger than anything I'd wear, but it's really very well finished, great solid end links, great milled clasp, stainless brushing is fantastic, I really think this is a superb watch, it's really just too large for my taste, even if I wore it tighter I think I'd struggle with this one.

That said, it's really well done, like really nice, good bezel action, nicely machined, butter smooth to wind, good numbers on the timegraph, lovely screw down crown.. I like this watch.. if only it was smaller.

View attachment 296278

This one I could just about wear, and finish wise it's more of the same. The silicone strap is really nicely done, the skeletonised movement is really nicely finished, and it's got a ball bearing bezel, which is nice, but I feel has the tiniest bit of backlash.. the bezel action is lovely though, again, buttery smooth to wind, nice screw in crown action.
42mm without crown, a bit thinner but still fairly tall, but I'd actually wear something this size, just not with a shirt as it'd not slip under the cuff too well.
The detail/finish looks good - but they are 'monsters'. 😂

·
Saddest VZi'er 2019
6,760 Posts
I've been wearing my old VW 100,000km watch today :D. I really love it.
I'd been after one for literally years, but I admit, not enough to pay the £300+ that they all seem to go for these days, and was lucky enough to have my mate in Berlin spot this one on Berlin 'Ebay local', going for about £70. He won and collected it for me and posted it over - job's a good 'un!
This one is, as far as I can tell, an early 60's one. Probably very common back in the day, but a lot of them are pretty beaten up. This one looks like it's sat in a drawer for most of its 60 years.

Watch Analog watch White Light Watch accessory

It's pretty much spotless, and loses about a minute a day. I took it to my usual watch repair place, The Watch Doctor in Tring, which has a very good reputation and does a lot of high end stuff, I think they're an authorised Rolex place or something, but they wouldn't even touch it, saying as they didn't recognise the brand name they wouldn't be able to get any spare parts they might need. That's helpful!!
Can anyone recommend somewhere that'll be happy to give it a service?

Watch Analog watch Blue Rectangle Watch accessory

The actual dial on them is quite small and gives the illusion of a very small watch - I've even been asked if it's a ladies' one. The wide gold-colour case is the same size as the 40's Seamaster I posted earlier though, it's an illusion caused by the case.
:)

·
Administrator
166,972 Posts
I've been wearing my old VW 100,000km watch today :D. I really love it.
I'd been after one for literally years, but I admit, not enough to pay the £300+ that they all seem to go for these days, and was lucky enough to have my mate in Berlin spot this one on Berlin 'Ebay local', going for about £70. He won and collected it for me and posted it over - job's a good 'un!
This one is, as far as I can tell, an early 60's one. Probably very common back in the day, but a lot of them are pretty beaten up. This one looks like it's sat in a drawer for most of its 60 years.

View attachment 296397

It's pretty much spotless, and loses about a minute a day. I took it to my usual watch repair place, The Watch Doctor in Tring, which has a very good reputation and does a lot of high end stuff, I think they're an authorised Rolex place or something, but they wouldn't even touch it, saying as they didn't recognise the brand name they wouldn't be able to get any spare parts they might need. That's helpful!!
Can anyone recommend somewhere that'll be happy to give it a service?

View attachment 296398

The actual dial on them is quite small and gives the illusion of a very small watch - I've even been asked if it's a ladies' one. The wide gold-colour case is the same size as the 40's Seamaster I posted earlier though, it's an illusion caused by the case.
:)
Very cool find Ju. :cool:🤙

·
Premium Member
4,812 Posts
Thinking of buying something similar to this. But one in better condition (chrome looks pitted on this).
A bit quirky and different. Just for when going out as im not a big watch wearer.
Any opinions? Seller is in the Ukrain with decent feedback.
Any risks buying from Ukrain?
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
Administrator
166,972 Posts
Thinking of buying something similar to this. But one in better condition (chrome looks pitted on this).
A bit quirky and different. Just for when going out as im not a big watch wearer.
Any risks buying from Ukrain? View attachment 296404
Hi Rich,

Hope you're well mate.

You can get these ^ brand new mate - for less money.

This guy is reliable: BESTRUS | eBay Stores

One of my favourites...

Be lucky mate. :) (y)

·
Administrator
166,972 Posts
Im good mate thanks.
And thanks for saving me from getting stung 😳.
I'll take a look tomorrow.
Im glad i asked on here, i nearly didnt!

Hope you are well.

Rich
No worries.

Not bad here mate.

The Ebay guy I linked has loads of different military dial'd versions and he's reliable.

Grab a coffee/tea or a beer and watch this...

Jody (the video guy) has done a few YT shows on Vostoks - worth checking them out. :)

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Any risks buying from Ukrain? View attachment 296404

I go through Vostoks quite a lot and tend to buy direct from Meranom, usually I buy a few to split the postage cost and I find they're an easy watch to sell on again, once I've had my fun with them. I might buy a GMT soon as I fancy modding one, so if you've not ordered yet let me know what you're after and I'll add one on and send it on at cost once it arrives.

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
So I've had the Chris Ward on for 20 days now. I've had a few watches arrive that I've not been able to wear due to being so stubborn about keeping this one on.

However, today I was woken by a knock at the door, it was my Dad who's an early bird and was in Stamford doing his usual wheeling and dealing. He has a small box for me.

Watch Photograph Pocket watch Clock Measuring instrument

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Measuring instrument

Body jewelry Font Badge Computer keyboard Jewellery

I don't tend to do pocket watches but this one is special. It's my great Grandfather's watch which was purchased when he was given a promotion at his place of work around a century ago.

He passed it to his daughter, my Nanna who passed away at 89 years of age in 2014 and she gave it to my Dad before he met my Mum. It's a French piece thats a licenced build of a Swiss 8 day open heart watch which was very popular at the time. He would have purchased this in Mauritius, and when my family moved to London it would have travelled with them to England.

It's been on quite the journey, it does show signs of wear, it's silver plate "white metal" and originally had a fob chain adorned with Agate but this was lost when my uncles house was lost to fire along with his and his families worldly possessions in the late 80s/early 90s.

And although it doesn't keep massively accurate time, has a fairly heavy beat error and is quite fast, it takes a wind still ticks along.. and family sentiment aside, this watch is quite representative of why I advocate quality watches.. you buy a good one and it'll last, probably outlasting you, and it's something to pass down..

Can't do that with an apple watch can you?

·
Premium Member
4,812 Posts
I go through Vostoks quite a lot and tend to buy direct from Meranom, usually I buy a few to split the postage cost and I find they're an easy watch to sell on again, once I've had my fun with them. I might buy a GMT soon as I fancy modding one, so if you've not ordered yet let me know what you're after and I'll add one on and send it on at cost once it arrives.
Im interested and thanks for the offer. Had a look last night and seen a few i like.
Dont get the pricing though?
Is there a site you use to convert to £ sterling?
Cheers Rich

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Im interested and thanks for the offer. Had a look last night and seen a few i like.
Dont get the pricing though?
Is there a site you use to convert to £ sterling?
Cheers Rich
I think you can convert the currency on the website but if in doubt Google gives you a good idea usually of the exchange rate. I usually get charged in their currency and that's then sorted out by my bank. As I'm usually buying for me or to sell on I either don't care, or mark up appropriately 😅

·
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
I've been wearing the very same watch for 25 days now and it's keeping amazing time, it's my Christopher Ward.

I bought a used but brand new in box with stickers and tags Seiko SRP639K1 Yellow Fin mini tuna today but don't tell the wife..

Discontinued now, big old watch but apparently wear nicely. I've been dying to get my hands on one and the black and yellow looks fun.

I'll upload some pictures when it arrives, should be before the weekend is out.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I am not a watch person at all, but I keep looking at those Russian watches. Bostoc? Vostok?
I smile to myself every time I'm on Ebay and put one on my "watch list" lol

But can someone tell me if they tic loudly? It's a small detail, but I hate ticking clocks!

161 - 180 of 186 Posts