Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right the boring bit :D

During the recently ended tax year it turns out both Alex and I had had a bad year, enough for our income to dip below the joint house income amount that intitles you to more tax credits than the £500 ish a year, you get if you have kids.

Which is fine they paid the extra no problem . I informed them of our estimated income for 08/09 (which is about back to normal) but the problem is they are basing our 08/09 income on what we earned in 07/08 so instead of the £500ish we should be getting they're paying us £2800 ish :rolleyes:

I've rung them up and told them they are overpaying me but they said they couldn't adjust my monthly payments until they receive the actual income earned. I pointed out that it was difficult to see into the future but estimated our income to be the higher amount.

Plus she insisted that i wasn't being overpaid, even though i said to her

"Ok it's April 2009 our actual income is say £30000 not the £22000 how much tax credit should I get?"

her reply

"about £42 every 4 weeks"

me

"so why are you paying me £215? Do you not think i'm being overpaid!!"

NO

So it appears there is nothing I can do to stop them overpaying, my question is as I have told them they're overpaying but they still insist on doing it will I have pay them back in a years time even though it's their fault.

Is it worth writing a letter ? As even though the phone call was recorded you can bet they won't be able to find it when I want them to.

Nay

·
Registered
495 Posts
What i would do. Put the money you think are being over paid
into a high interest bank/building account. wait and see what happens. the thing is it does not matter how many times you tell them you are being over paid to the point being blue in the face.
They will still expect you to pay them back:rolleyes:
On a brighter note badger boy(mr darling the exchequer) had to wright off a few billion pounds due to tax credit bulls'ups
No doubt that probably will happen again:rolleyes:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stick the extra in a deposit account, when they ask for the money back, pay them back and spend the interest on something nice ;)

QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I was thinking. A bit crap though that you can't stop it

·
Registered
78,033 Posts
the Tax Credit system is a complete balls up

we have been overpaid and have tried to sort it many times

we still have a disputed amount

they even say there is no appeal procedure... but funnily enough once we said 'see you in court then' and told them what we would say... they found an appeals procedure

but it is a fuck up built on a farce

if it wasn't for my dad's help I would be clueless

·
Registered
25,881 Posts
girl at work got told she'd overpaid on her mortgage one month. she checked several times and then said she was gonna spend the extra money. i told her not to and to stash the money somewhere for a few months as i would never trust them (especially as she had no idea how it had been overpaid) to be right. you can bet they'd realise it was someone elses account months later and demand you repay them immediately. my mate said 'nah, i'm gonna spend it'.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Do they actually take it back? We were told that they had no facility to accept repayments and our next few years payments were just frozen until we were cleared.
Nonsense, but it gave us a few grand lump sum that we never asked for or ever really had to repay (as it was money we werent banking on).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do they actually take it back? We were told that they had no facility to accept repayments and our next few years payments were just frozen until we were cleared.
Nonsense, but it gave us a few grand lump sum that we never asked for or ever really had to repay (as it was money we werent banking on).
That'll be us not getting tax credits for the next 5 years then :lol:

·
Registered
78,033 Posts
same thing though... we got overpaid (despite telling them so) and then got arsey letters and then got no payment for ten months and now being paid again, but still have an amount which is in dispute

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
same thing though... we got overpaid (despite telling them so) and then got arsey letters and then got no payment for ten months and now being paid again, but still have an amount which is in dispute
You'll have to let me know what happens :)

At the moment they haven't actually overpaid me, but after next months payment they will have, (plus the's a back dated amount from Apr08 which i haven't actually had yet) which will bring the overpayment up to £700 ish :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34,373 Posts
Google says:

You may not have to pay it back if:

* it was caused by their mistake and you had no reason to think that your award was wrong, or

* paying back the money would cause you hardship.

·
Registered
11,044 Posts
They won't ask for it back but the likelihood is they'll say they are then gonna freeze your payments for the next X years. Happened to us, we're still getting nowt.

Best put the extra away, to 'pay' yourself when they freeze the payments next year (unless you can get it in writing from them but don't count on it!)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
the whole tax credit system is bollocks ,the overpaid us .we kept informing the everytime somebody got a payrise etc ,and the still fucked it up ,with everything else going up they want us to pay them back .the fucked up somewhere along the line .

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
They're feckin useless!!

They overpaid me after i let them know about my pay rise. The guy consistantly said on the phone that the payments they were making were correct and to not worry.

When eventually they wrote claiming they'd overpaid and that i would have to pay it back i argued, and argued, oh.. and argued till i was blue in the face that i wasn't going to as "* it was caused by their mistake and you had no reason to think that your award was wrong," seeing as their staff had assured me my pyments were correct.

We went to a few appeals from what i remember (this was a good few years vack!) and eventually they wrote saying i was in the right and they'd not be asking for the money :)

It might be that i was not receiving any tax credits then as my earnings were to high and they'd not be able to claw it back by not paying me.. i dont know, and have never claimed them since thank god!!

anyhows, i'd pop it into a high interest account, or an isa if you can and then argue alot when they ask for it back

·
ready for the off....
36,584 Posts
Google says:

You may not have to pay it back if:

* it was caused by their mistake and you had no reason to think that your award was wrong, or

* paying back the money would cause you hardship.
Yup - we got a payment about 5 years ago as at the time I 'had six months off' I stupidly ended up earning £30K anyway so I owed then £666.

I still havent paid it back as no one can actually tell me why I owe it back ;) Even if I do .

They are cunts :)

·
ready for the off....
36,584 Posts
I still havent paid it back as no one can actually tell me why I owe it back ;) Even if I do .

They are cunts :)
I am having trouble telling them that I couldnt pay it back now.... ;)

But its worth the giggle making it straggle on :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts