Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here been told to pay back tax credits when it has been no fault of your own?

Over the last few days I have had conversations with people who have been overpaid these credits because of cockups made by the dept, one employee even told the person concerned to sell and downsize their house when they said they could not to pay it back at £100 a month.

The government is quite happy to bail out large institutions to the tune of billions, yet people who have applied for tax credits really need this money and are now not only without the credits but have to pay back amounts that may be breaking their financial backs.

This started when I was told about a friend who has to pay back £2000 pounds because the tax credit people input 15 instead of 15,000 into a form, their mistake, yet the implication is that they knew they were getting too much and didnt say anything. The person involved says they just trusted that the dept had got it right, having now seen the ridiculously complicated forms(which even I had serious trouble understanding) Penalising the general public for these mistakes is IMHO completely wrong. In some cases it is causing serious hardship.

I intend to talk to my MP about this, so would like as much info from people as possible. You can email me direct if you dont want to mention it on here, all emails will be kept strictly private.

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
Yes.

After much to-ing and fro-ing and trying to sort it out, i am paying them back at £4.55 a month for what will probably seem like forever:rolleyes:

The most disorganised government dept i have ever had to deal with.

Useless:(

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
They overpaid me a couple of years ago and I had to pay it back at something like £15 a month. I stopped claiming after I moved in with der schweißer because the length of time taken to fill in forms x the number of phone calls made trying to correct their errors x the amount I'd actually get x paying back when they've overpaid me despite my numerous phone calls = not bloody worth it.

They once told me I earned £13,500 but when I asked them where it was because, having not worked, I didn't know anything about it and if I earned it I'd quite like it- they seemed a little flummuxed. Apparently their computer doesn't like people who don't have a taxable income so they made up a number -good eh! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
34,373 Posts
If it`s their mistake you don`t pay.

If it`s your mistake for not checking the paperwork they send you then you`re at fault. I sorted mine out the other week, gave them the Info to correct it and all was well.

·
Registered
78,033 Posts
Has anyone here been told to pay back tax credits when it has been no fault of your own?
yep

if you want to talk about it pop round

my dad can give you chapter and verse on the shit we have had and can advise you on what to do

he has pretty much called their bluff (since he wrote most of the books they work from)

it's a stinking cock of a system

there is a big thread on the subject kicking around from a few months ago... will see if I can find it

·
Registered
34,373 Posts
in theory...

but frankly dude... naive as to the reality of how poorly they run the system and how bureaucratic they have made it
I can only speak from experience.

Tax man- You earned X so you owe us.

Dragster- No, i earned Y, you owe me.

Tax man- Cheques in the post.

It was all on the forms they sent, pretty easy to spot the error, but yes, it`s a dogs dinner and a shit system...jobs for the boys and a waste of OUR money.

I still stand by the 'Interest free loan' comment I made, if they overpaid me enough to buy a Ghia i would and pay back £4 per month forever :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
As per the thread Peelo linked, we're being overpaid, As soon as I got the paper work I rang them up and said I thought they were overpaying us, but they insisted they weren't. I said to them I'd rather they paid me the lower figure and a lump sum later if it was wrong but they're can't do that.

Their system cannot cope with inconsistent earnings (ie self employed people :D)

With our situation we both had a bad year last, but this year is back to normal but the stupid thing is they base this years monthly payments on last years actual income NOT on what you expect to earn, which seems a bit bonkers to me.

Nay

·
Registered
46,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As per the thread Peelo linked, we're being overpaid, As soon as I got the paper work I rang them up and said I thought they were overpaying us, but they insisted they weren't. I said to them I'd rather they paid me the lower figure and a lump sum later if it was wrong but they're can't do that.

Their system cannot cope with inconsistent earnings (ie self employed people :D)

With our situation we both had a bad year last, but this year is back to normal but the stupid thing is they base this years monthly payments on last years actual income NOT on what you expect to earn, which seems a bit bonkers to me.

Nay
This seems to be a common theme insisting they are right... right up until they say you have to pay it back! Going to read the other thread now, Julian I'll have a chat with you about it, I had at first thought this was a problem affecting just a few people, but it is endemic, I cant believe how many people have now told me about the ridiculous incompetence of this dept.

Not promising to get anything done, but I'm going to see what I can do.

·
Registered
46,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was all on the forms they sent, pretty easy to spot the error, but yes, it`s a dogs dinner and a shit system...jobs for the boys and a waste of OUR money.
I have just had a look at some of these forms, I admit all the info is there, but finding it is a bloody nightmare, I would not expect the average person to understand these forms, the dept has a duty of care to make these forms understandable to ALL. Some people, including myself and I am not unintelligent, have problems with forms, I have a ... not fear.. but a problem filling in forms, I hate it and consequently have had problems in the past. Now I get Ruth or someone to go over them for me. something as important as tax credits should have paperwork that can be understood by anyone.
In fact all paperwork should be easily understoodby the people it is aimed at, this is not the only place where paperwork needs to be easier to understand, but its a start.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Had this issue with a friend.

Gave the following advice which has worked. Sent letters asking for;

All records, electronic and paper to be sent and an explanation of the calculation in the same format as an inland revenue tax code calculation for clarity.

The information never came. Then each time they got a new letter they sent a reply stating they were still waiting with a copy of the first and gave a new reference number to keep track of the letters sent. 2.5 years later they have reduced the amount owed by half and still have not supplied the information.

The next return letter stated the same as the others but also requested information on the mistake that had led to the initial amount being sought being twice as much.

Just keep replying and they stay away.

Clearly the cost to the state of doing this is crazy and could well be more than the initial claim so I guess it depends which way your moral compass points.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
We are now on the twelth letter from them saying what our current position is, all of which state different amounts either owing or owed. And it all stems from them getting the figures wrong years ago:rolleyes:
Clarify it in one letter. Ask them to clarify their mistake in a clear and transparent format- bet they do not! :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts