Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got my '73 1200A Beetle, she's just been taxed by previous owner for 6 months 3 weeks ago and according to the V5 she was first registered in April 1973.

So surely she was manufactured in 1972 and therefore qualifies to be exempt from the road tax? - How do i find out & prove that this is the case and sort it all out with the DVLA?

Also where do i get the old school black with embossed silver plates from? (dont wanna new reg want different plates!) thanks..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cars locked up at home until I get back from holiday next week.. so don't know it unfortunately :(

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
WildChild said:
Cars locked up at home until I get back from holiday next week.. so don't know it unfortunately :(
Well if it is between these two numbers you might be in luck.

1122427593 > 1132438833

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine was registered on 1st July 1973 and manafactured on 16th May 1973. I was a bit gutted, still love the car though and dont begrudge paying the tax (much)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I won't begrudge paying the tax if I have to, just obviously it's worth looking into!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
WildChild said:
I've just got my '73 1200A Beetle, she's just been taxed by previous owner for 6 months 3 weeks ago and according to the V5 she was first registered in April 1973.

So surely she was manufactured in 1972 and therefore qualifies to be exempt from the road tax? - How do i find out & prove that this is the case and sort it all out with the DVLA?

Also where do i get the old school black with embossed silver plates from? (dont wanna new reg want different plates!) thanks..
you cant legaly have black & silver plates on your car ;)

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
My bay was first regd in March 73, and mfd in the 3rd week of 73, so I'd be surprised if a Beetle that needed no mods spent took four months to get from the factory to the dealer, as the bay had been to the Devon camper conversion co. after build and before sale.

·
Registered
617 Posts
depends how long it was stored & the demand. my devon bay was reg march 73 but was manufactured November 72. so tax exempt. :crazy:
I believe devon even bought some pre reg vans to convert. as there was such a demand. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My chassis number is: 1132429592 so inbetween what you said..

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
WildChild said:
My chassis number is: 1132429592 so inbetween what you said..
It's tax exempt then! Phone up VW Milton Keynes with your chassis number to ask for confirmation of it's date of manufacture, and then take the letter that they send down to your local DVLA office with the V5. They should be able to change the tax class for you on the spot.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,458 Posts
Rhodrich said:
It's tax exempt then! Phone up VW Milton Keynes with your chassis number to ask for confirmation of it's date of manufacture, and then take the letter that they send down to your local DVLA office with the V5. They should be able to change the tax class for you on the spot.
Letter costs £30, BTW.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's just been taxed by previous owner for 12 months, is it possible to get this refunded if i can prove it is tax excempt? if so it's worth it, if not i'll do it when i have to retax..

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You can get a tax refund, check the dvla website.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
jopro said:
You can get a tax refund, check the dvla website.
see if you can get it refunded back to 96 or when ever the clasic tax thing started ;)

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts