Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A slightly hypocritical thread considering my line of work but I've just spent a very long shift at the G6 summit near Stratford on Avon...

I've done similar but never at this scale, the money that has been spent essentially getting 6 Home Secretarys together for a chat about terrorism is beyond me, over 10 police forces called in on 24/7 duties for 3 days...and this was without any 'leaders' being present!

My part was sitting in a hedge for most of my 16 hour shift thinking about what i'm doing with my bug...err no I meant anti-terrorism surveillance :crazy: ;)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Haha, i live in ettington and was looking at all the under car bomb camers they have put in, i wont wind you up and tell you how much they cost.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
I'd join in the whinge but the police came and rescued us and our stranded bug from the middle lane of the motorway, with no lights, so I feel I've got my monies worth. The highways people, though, that's another story.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You mean the 2 people sat in a 4x4 driving up and down motorways looking for people on the hard sholder so they can put some cones out.

When they do have a job on they are just stood there looking like a couple of spare pricks.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Napier said:
You mean the 2 people sat in a 4x4 driving up and down motorways looking for people on the hard sholder so they can put some cones out.

When they do have a job on they are just stood there looking like a couple of spare pricks.
Interestingly, yes..

They came to assist us yesterday - now don't get me wrong, having a 4 x 4 with flashing lights was much nicer than a dodgy cone the police left. Anyway, they must've spent about 15 minutes setting up cones - and I don't proclaim to be an expert but SURELY to be remotely fucking effective the cones need to be more than 10 feet from the car.

Then, and this was my favourite bit. The crappy police cone I mentioned earlier - well these pair figured that it'd need to be collected or sommat. Now, me, I'd have left it on the side of the road - but I understand their concern. Now, I imagine this is how a normal radio conversation would go.

"[control], this is [callsign], message over"
"Go ahead"
"Yeah, the police have left a flashing cone here - shall we leave it or do you want us to grab it?"
"[answer]"

Or something similar

But, not these guys. Oh no.

"This is [callsign], on scene with disabled car between junctions 28 and 29. The police have left a small cone, approximately 48 inches high, along with a flashing beacon. Police have not, repeat, have not, advised the driver on what to do. Should we recover it, over."

And then, THEN, they shouted at me for making sure the bonnet was shut. Best bit was that the traffic bod who left us had said "Uh, oh yeah, if it starts to rain and you want to get in the car, just keep an eye on the rear view mirror." I got a bollocking for standing their for 3 seconds, cheeky mare.

Apparently the folks up there call em "the sherrifs" which I liked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts