Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
25,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we live in a rented house, it's huge, too big at this time of year. It's detached and freezing. Now the last lot of heating oil was nicked, and being isolated and not always here, I'm loathe to fill the tank, for the scumbags to help themselves again. There is a large fireplace in our lounge, certainly big enough to take a fire/woodburner. Now subject to landlords permission (unlikely to be an issue)My thoughts being that a woodburner is cleaner and more efficient than an open fire, either would be cheap to run (we are surrounded by forest).
I'm guessing that to fit a woodburner, I'd have to look into flues, but would I for sure? I suspect the chimney is fine, but can obviously get an inspection done.
Any comments?

·
Registered
25,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
They are brilliant in my last house that I owned it used to heat all our water and run a radiator upstairs, no need for one downstairs as it gave off so much heat. We used to slow cook of ours as it had a rear exit for the chimney

Easy to fit but you may have to have your chimney lined, I put a soot door in the chimney breast to make easy cleaning which you will have to do if you are solely burning wood.

Get one that you can adjust that way you can load it up, turn it down and it will last the night. Also get one that has an outlet for a back boiler so that even if you don't want to heat your water you could at a later date and get on that is duel fuel

Failing that get a large Calor gas bottle. cut the top off, cut a door in the side , fit chimney and away you go, did this for a mate's workshop years ago and it worked

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
6ft of flue going up into the chimney should be fine, then sit back and toast.
Mines great,wood or coal. I know what you mean about heating oil, fucking rip off :(

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Don't know much about the technicalities, but can definately recommend Jotul woodburners (like the one in the other linked thread) - I do some work for Jotul and the quality of the product is brilliant. I've always wanted one, but I live in a new house with a fake fireplace and an electric fire :(

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Don't know much about the technicalities, but can definately recommend Jotul woodburners (like the one in the other linked thread) - I do some work for Jotul and the quality of the product is brilliant. I've always wanted one, but I live in a new house with a fake fireplace and an electric fire :(
...Jotul FTW...!!! :D

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Do not buy a villager, they are cheap shite.

Much better to pay £100-200 for a used jotul, we have a Morso Squirrel, than a cheap new one. If your planning on burning forestry wood that has not been seasoned then you really need a flue. The sap/acid that come of 'green' wood will kill the chimney.
We burn scavenged old timber, window frames/fence panels/pallets and anything we can find. Folk always have a bit of timber laying around and if you can get chummy with a builder type, theyll normally drop off timber for nowt rather then pay for skips to dispose of it.
All you need then is a chopsaw and a splitting hatchet and your good to go.
Here is this mornings hours chopping. Really quick with a £20 chopsaw from B&Q.

Here is our stove, £180 out of the local rag. as we dont burn onseasoned/ green wood we dont bother with a full flue, just knocked up a register plate which has two access panels to clean and sweep the chimney.

There are some that whinge about the environment but these are really efficient and slowed down via the vent, a small burner full lasts us over an hour. Much better than our other fireplaces.

These really get through the timber and dont really give that much heat in return. We have three of these and they take some upkeep.

There is something very manly about cutting your own wood, and compared with landfill, its good for mother earth, if thats a concern.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
oops, missed a pic, the chopped bits will last three eves and took an hour from getting the saw out, to putting it away again.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
I do a similar thing my mate does solid oak flooring and dumps all the off cuts at my place :D I reckon I must have burnt 2 grands worth of oak flooring last year :lol:

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I think the 2 we have are Much Wenlock ones. They do kick out a decent amount of heat. We've got an open fire too, which is much nicer to look at, but kicks out less heat. Logs come courtesy of fallen down trees and are seasoned for a couple of years. Chainsaws are your best friends along with a good axe/woodsplitter.

1 - 20 of 283 Posts