Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok having had our van for 8 years now I think it is about time for a change.

I no nothing about type 25s.

I guess I am looking for one with a full camping interior something like a Devon, Westy or Holdsworth and a pop top

Thinking something in the region of about 5 to 6k.

Ideally it is going to need to be able to tow a beetle and I was thinking diesel rather than petrol.

Any advise on engine spec, year and ones to avoid would be great.

I did think about a synchro but not entirely sure.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i cant imagine why you of all people would want a syncro;)

someone on here ,and its got a scooby engine;):D
can't get youtube at work but if these are feeds of synchros doing there thing you gotta realise that any van I have will no doubt get the Tia approach to mobile home improvement and as I don't want to get hit in the the back of the head by soft furnishings, lucky gonks, cuddly toys etc I guessed the synchro option might have to wait for another time.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Buy a Westfalia. Once you've lived with one nothing else will do for pukka camping/travelling. Splits and bays score higher on the cool wall, but if you want to use it rather than have people look at it, Westy all the way. Yes they are worth the extra ££. Everything is so well designed that is feels twice the size inside. Bed up in 2 mins, still get to the fridge & cooker for a mornnig brew while other half snores on. Swivel seats & extra table at front gives a sort of seperate dining area, a main table that can be moved even when full of stuff , Use the space under the pop-top to store crap out of the way if you don't have kids - near perfect for a small camper.

Second tip, spend on a good one with nothing to do, certainly no bodywork issues cheaper than a doer-upper in the long run. Your budget will easily get a near mint Westy. All LHD but thats no hassle at all and might even persuade you to take it over the channel. Stuff from snowy ares of Germany sends to be rust free as they are laid up in winter and no road salt. (Mine looks a year old & its 28 next year)

You can even be flash and get a 2.0 aircoled one so you're not completely shunned by the hardcore! (Crap for towing though)

You are about to see the light!

·
Registered
15,754 Posts
can't get youtube at work but if these are feeds of synchros doing there thing you gotta realise that any van I have will no doubt get the Tia approach to mobile home improvement and as I don't want to get hit in the the back of the head by soft furnishings, lucky gonks, cuddly toys etc I guessed the synchro option might have to wait for another time.
Lucky gonk?

·
Registered
27,624 Posts
fit a bulkhead;)

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
get one with good bodywork, the mechanicals are easy to sort.

If you've got a weasel, get spannerboy to whack a TDi in.

If you've got a petrol, get a scooby in using the excellent RJES kit,

·
Registered
78,063 Posts
T25s for me: great if you want a rear wheel drive, rear engined bus which is accepted as a 'proper vw' :lol: (by snobs)

But too dull and modern to be truly engaging (unless you are going to wack a serious engine in it).

So I have never ended up sticking with one. They just don't engage me like Splits and Bays do. If I was going to get another modern bus it would be a T4 based motor home.

This is just my point of view there are other ones :D

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
T25s for me: great if you want a rear wheel drive, rear engined bus which is accepted as a 'proper vw' :lol: (by snobs)

But too dull and modern to be truly engaging (unless you are going to wack a serious engine in it).

So I have never ended up sticking with one. They just don't engage me like Splits and Bays do. If I was going to get another modern bus it would be a T4 based motor home.

This is just my point of view there are other ones :D
T4's offer far better VFM at the moment unless you're planning on using the RWD and sticking a proper motor in ;)

·
Registered
78,063 Posts
T4's offer far better VFM at the moment unless you're planning on using the RWD and sticking a proper motor in ;)
I plan to get a T4 based motor home in the next year or two. Then will start to take whole family to shows like Big Bang and Action and use it for camping.

I still want it to be a VW. But I don't care if it's a cool scene bus man :D Also want a mobile home so kids can play games etc at table while stuck in traffic jams.

Also want a vehicle SPANNERBOY is happy to maintain... so no aircooled.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts