Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 860 Posts

·
Holy Calamity
67,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Eyup :D

So, SIX THOUSAND photos were taken, and it's gonna take me a looooong time to process and sort through them all. But I'll be posting what I can in here, when I can...

It was yet another AMAZING event... Even though it was our seventh visit we were absolutely staggered by the size of it this year, bigger than ever. Absolutely incredible! We saw some properly gorgeous cars so hopefully there'll be something in here for everyone :D

Full set will eventually end up here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/retromotoring/sets/72157626899401672/

...and so it begins...

P5293263-Edit by retromotoring, on Flickr

P5293262-Edit by retromotoring, on Flickr

P5293261-Edit by retromotoring, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Cool pics Darren, you always seem to take a goodun...

Some of them got me thinking about the way that people take things to extremes, and it becomes almost a parody of the "look".

When I think back to the late 80s, I can remember most people dropping the fronts of their bugs by a few inches, and some lowering the back by a spline. IMO, that looked good.

Now, it has evolved into the whole narrowed and slammed look, which gets ever more extreme, with huge chunks being taken out of beams and pans mere mm above the road. I know it's personal opinion, but don't they just look a bit silly like that???

Anyway, it was this picture that started that train of thought:

The lowered-with-big-arch-filling-wheels look is pretty cool, but surely that one cannot have any suspension movement at all before the tyre hits that arch? Is it just the angle of the picture that is deceiving and it actually does just clear, or is it on air/hydraulics and that's just the parked setting?

Is there such a thing as beyond cool and out the other side, to the point where it becomes ridiculous?

Yours questioningly,

Colin

·
Holy Calamity
67,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Cool pics Darren, you always seem to take a goodun...

Some of them got me thinking about the way that people take things to extremes, and it becomes almost a parody of the "look".

When I think back to the late 80s, I can remember most people dropping the fronts of their bugs by a few inches, and some lowering the back by a spline. IMO, that looked good.

Now, it has evolved into the whole narrowed and slammed look, which gets ever more extreme, with huge chunks being taken out of beams and pans mere mm above the road. I know it's personal opinion, but don't they just look a bit silly like that???

Anyway, it was this picture that started that train of thought:

The lowered-with-big-arch-filling-wheels look is pretty cool, but surely that one cannot have any suspension movement at all before the tyre hits that arch? Is it just the angle of the picture that is deceiving and it actually does just clear, or is it on air/hydraulics and that's just the parked setting?

Is there such a thing as beyond cool and out the other side, to the point where it becomes ridiculous?

Yours questioningly,

Colin
Personally I think that 99.99% of the slammed and narrow-beamed Beetles and Type 2s look stupid - I really don't get it at all to be honest.

But 99.99% of the low watercooled stuff that you'll see in this thread is on Air Ride, it's very popular over there. That Passat Wagon was on air, they sit that low when they are parked up. The Audi A5 Sportback on the Rotiforms was jawdroppingly low when parked, but he had it jacked right up when we saw him washing it :D

1 - 20 of 860 Posts