Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember my car from a little while ago. I'm pretty sure i didn't update it and it is now lost in some internet place. Basically, I wished i could have got on with the car but university got in the way. I'm now out of education and in work and ready to finish this old girl.

So, i did loads of welding and painting and chopping and sanding and all that jazz to this...

a general catch up pic or two...

I Painted it on my drive way last summer...

I Built up a stock 34 horse...

And that was just about where i left it all before having to work my socks off with an engineering degree final year.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, the past few weeks i have been putting the car back together seriously. I had a new wiring loom built from scratch by a nice man called john, who fitted it for me too.
I also fitted the engine and have had it running the past few days, which is a turn up. The car is in no way a perfect example but is a solid and honest, exactly what i had planned really.
So here's the latest pictures...

Interior is nearly in.

This is my lovely tidy fuse box.

I bought an econo pack exhaust, it seems to be ok, i think i'm going to fabricate my own system when the car's done, as i need a little more clearance.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And tonight's job was to re house the indicators. Due to my choice in narrowed beam and tyres, alonside not noticing the indicator holes are in the wrong place on the wing top, i will almost definately rip any indicator wiring out of the units. For this reason i want to hide the indicators in the headlamps like US spec but without the cheap looking glass and sealed beam units.

So i bought some faily ropey parts.

These were then wire brushed and finally sanded using 80 grit paper to remove rust. Once clean i used zinc rich bright primer to keep out the moisture and give a nice shine on the inner surface.

Once dry i will use grey POR 15 on the outer surfaces and reassemble the lamps. Might not even use POR if the Zinc paint finish is ok.

Thats all for now folks. Sorry for the extended intro/update. I hope you like the look of the car, i'm quite happy with it!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys. its a long old slog doing a car and a million other things at the same time. Now i just have work and the car, i'm trying to get every minute i can on it at the moment but i'm spending money quicker than ever!!

Luckily, brake pipe, fuel line, a glove box and a fuel tank seal arrived today. I'm goint to finish and bleed the brakes tonight and if i have time sort out the fuel lines.

I still have to sort out my lights, i put them back together last night but the wiring and bulbs need modifying due to the cut down headlamp bowls, to clear the tyres.

Skids, the fuses are still original, didn't want blades as they look obviously wrong.

If anyone has a fuse box cover for an 8 fuse box, i would gladly buy it!

Swamp, we're cruising the black wheels to action my friend, oh yes. just got to sort out the logo's and the hubcaps! ;)

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
Wondered where you'd been mate...top top work as always:)

(hate these young'uns with far more talent than me!!);)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mate fairplay, definately looking good. Wanted to ask you how much uv narrowed by? Also wanted to ask about you putting american spec indicators in, iv got a 55 oval RHD in jupiter grey, people have no idea what direction im going in with my semaphores, even though they come straight up! Wanted to do the same as you as far as i have original oival hedlight units so dont want the aftermarket versions, is it not possible to just get a bulb holder and drill and fit it into the existing unit?

Cheers

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. It helps push me back out to the garage to get this beast finished!

Swamp, narrowed on steels with big logo caps. its a must!

BFWF, the beam is a 5.5 inch narrow. There's some inner wing mods to fit it but i did this while re-clipping the front end.

As for the indicators, you could quite easily drill a large hole and mount a bulb holder in your og headlamps mate but i didn't want to destroy the og parts. If you just use the central ring from the US spec lamps the lamp unit can be switched back to original in a few minutes. I asked on here and a couple of guys offered me the parts. Will cost you about £15 and take you an hour to fit and wire up tbh. Seemed a no brainer!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sick one on the lights will get on that, tbh they're like candles at the mo so gota dissmantle them anyway!Didnt want to modify the body (as i found out my car is actually 1 of 10 1955 RHD stds in the world, what a surprise that was!) so got a modified beam instead on the 2 little inches tho. cheers

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
HARD lookin bug ya got there fella!!!!

some large logo hubcaps would finish yer wheels off a treat!!!!!:incheek:

cor!!!!!:D

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wal, thay're exactly what i'll be going for once i have all the other bits sorted. I have always loved the big logo's!

bfwf, if you don't want to modify the body, you can get up to five inches with the shocks mounted outside the inner arch and if you wanted to go inside the arch you could get 6. it's all a case of if you want to fabricate a beam yourself. You can buy a five inch narrow from tidders i think, it has bolt on shock towers and looks quite trick. i am also going to start cutting shock towers at work with kinks so you can go five inches with skinny shocks.

I got the car driving last night. I am well chuffed. Its been up and down the slope on my drive quite a few times!! I'm having trouble selecting 3rd and 4th though, i can't seem to move the shifter far enough to the right to find them. I think i'll have to check the linkage etc.

I'll update later on.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
An Update. Finally.

After some shift problems, which turned out to be the shift plate being on backwards the car has had a little test run and i've been doing lots of little fiddly jobs trying to get everything working.

I have raised the fuel tank by 2 inches to clear the shock towers on the beam so i made some clamp parts from some stainless at work and they look pretty tidy..
You can also see the indicator in the headlamp, i've done this as the tyres would rip out the wiring for the wing top ones. The wing top's are just there for the look now with the bottoms cut off.

Underbonnet is nearly done.

Interior and carpet is all in. I have now fitted the original grey/green front mat which covers the tunnel etc but i don't have a picture of that.

The centre piece of headlining is half in but i need to get it hot to stretch it the last few millimetres.the rest of it will go in when i can afford a trimmer to do the whole car.

I also fitted an aerial on the quarter panel. It's not original but i like this style.

I also made a couple of other bits for the car, Two types of stainless steel fog lamp bracket and a little club logo to sit on the front number plate. It is helpful working as an nc programmer!

An here's a shot of the rear of the car, i have fitted an econo pack exhaust from empi but it sits way too low. My next project after the MOT is to build a better stainless system.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts