Volkszone Forum banner

The Highlands of Scotland…

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Passion 4 
#1 ·
Places to go, recommendations of things to see, things to avoid… what should be added to the list?

#4 ·
Do you have a specific area in mind that you want to head for...are you looking to stay in one area or travel around a bit.....you on your own or with the family(Mrs n kids) ??

I live in Dufftown, the self proclaimed Whisky capital of the World....which is in Speyside....which is in the North East...

I'm happy to help out with pointers if i can....

Mario

#5 ·
Do you have a specific area in mind that you want to head for...are you looking to stay in one area or travel around a bit.....you on your own or with the family(Mrs n kids) ??

I live in Dufftown, the self proclaimed Whisky capital of the World....which is in Speyside....which is in the North East...

I'm happy to help out with pointers if i can....

Mario
Hi Mario, ideally the two of us are just thinking of travelling around as much as possible, (free) camping in the bus mostly, maybe the occasional night over in a roofed establishment, or if we find an area we like, then to stay there for a few days before moving on? Thinking April/May time of year?

The drive, fresh air, space, views and beaches for me, but a distillery visit would be cool for a novice like me! Any non touristy crafts and knitting related stuff would make a certain other person happy, plus of course good food!

:)

#6 ·
Hi Mario, ideally the two of us are just thinking of travelling around as much as possible, (free) camping in the bus mostly, maybe the occasional night over in a roofed establishment, or if we find an area we like, then to stay there for a few days before moving on? Thinking April/May time of year?

The drive, fresh air, space, views and beaches for me, but a distillery visit would be cool for a novice like me! Any non touristy crafts and knitting related stuff would make a certain other person happy, plus of course good food!

:)
If the timing is right and you end up near myself then the Distillery Tour wont be a problem(if my shifts are right then I can take you around my place no problem).....

The West Coast is a must see.... stunning in some areas and if im honest, the West Coast seems to be on the more popular side....

You have the likes of Loch Lomond then on up to and around Oban...then on up to Fort William(Ben Nevis) then head west again to Mallaig...up to Kyle of Lochalsh....

and then if you wish switch across to the East.....Inverness(Loch Ness....although there isn't much actually at Loch Ness) and (culloden Battlefield) heading to Aviemore way if you don't want to follow the East coast line....(im 40 mins North of Aviemore)

It all depends on how much time off you will have and how much time you want to spend in one place etc....

Heading up the West Coast you will find/see some fantastic wee towns/hamlets...I cant name them all we would be here for ever....
Another popular place to hit is Applecross.........

It is absolutely stunning up here, no matter where you head for or where you decide to visit....

people rave about the Lake District...(and ive been saying this for years) the Lakes are NOTHING to compared to the Highlands of Scotland (in my opinion of course)

Once you have decided a route drop me a line if you need any help...I gladly will if I can........ or if you need an emergency number or person then, again feel free to gimme a shout and I will give you my mobile number or home number.....it might give your good lady a bit of reassurance knowing there is someone not too far away if you require help.....you don't realise how far away the English border is until you actually get up here....
And if you decide to head on across my way then I will do my best to give you both a tour of the distillery ......

P.S having re-read your first paragraph( im on nights so writing this between my Stills bubbling up) saying you are looking to stop for a few days if you hit a place you like, then I would deffo go up the West Coast first then cross over east...... you wont regret it....plus you can always go the reverse route if you decide to come up again......

As an incomer of 34 years living up here...the place is fecking awesome....and don't believe all the hype The Highlanders are fantastic folk.... mad as hatters, but fantastic :lol:

Cheers

Mario

PPS..... and keep in mind,where ever you head for......it is a LONG drive........(im not sure where you are starting out from)

#7 ·
Do you use tripadvisor?

We have been cottage holidaying the last 3 or so years, and when we decide on a area in Scotland , pop it into tripadvisor and see what’s around there to do.

You can basically drive anywhere up past Glasgow and Edinburgh and you are in glorious scenery. Having just moved to Perth, I can’t believe how much there is to see, visit etc almost on your doorstep.

#8 ·
PPS..... and keep in mind,where ever you head for......it is a LONG drive........(im not sure where you are starting out from)
Hastings! :mental: :lol:

#11 ·
Took this last year in my absolute favourite place, Sandwood Bay. The most remote beach in the UK.

There's a walk of around 5 miles across the moors from the carpark. I camped in the sand dunes.

Wonderful place.

Yep, that would do nicely! :) great pic!

#12 ·
There are a few choices to be made in terms of which west coast islands to try and visit! It seems there is a ferry hopper ticket you can get, but think I need to narrow the choice down a bit!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.