Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there supposed to be some kind of sealing strip or somthing on the bonnet? i get a hell of a lot of air movement from behind the glove box and the stereo,....and i have 2 duvet's stuffed in the luggage area to supposedly help?

is there an answer?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
i like the draught that comes through my glove box - it eases the fumes smell for the passenger :incheek:

Although, saying that, I would also like to know if there was some sort of seal available for it?!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Do you have a proper full bonnet seal installed, and the blanking plugs in the wheel well? If not, you'll find it difficult to stop the drafts.....

I'm sure there used to be a cardboard type cover that covered the whole rear of the dash area (fuse box, wipers speedo and glovebox) that would maybe help - then, you would have to find one first.

Other than that - just tell passengers to stop being such wusses. :incheek:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so, there is supposed to be a sealing rubber around the bonnet? does it fit to the bonnet or the car?
i have the cardboard tray thing, and i have a front valance cover....

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
The standard European seal fitted to the car.
The Mexican seal fits to the bonnet.
Mexican one is popular because it just clips on.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so it sits in the lip on the bonnet? does the european glue in?

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
European one is held in place by a steel strip spot welded onto the lip of the bonnet opening (top of front 1/4 panels), which is curled over to grip the seal. Most of them have rusted away by now.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Don't forget, if you want to fit a Mexican seal, you still have to have a section of original style bonnet seal across the back edge of the bonnet (mounted on the body in front of the windscreen.
The Mexican seal is a doddle to fit to the bonnet. VW Heritage supply it either in pre cut lengths, or by the metre off a roll (cheaper).
Also, the Mexican seal can be used on the engine lid to replace the engine lid seal, by fixing it to the lid itself.

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
Mr_Wobble said:
Don't forget, if you want to fit a Mexican seal, you still have to have a section of original style bonnet seal across the back edge of the bonnet (mounted on the body in front of the windscreen.
The Mexican seal is a doddle to fit to the bonnet. VW Heritage supply it either in pre cut lengths, or by the metre off a roll (cheaper).
Also, the Mexican seal can be used on the engine lid to replace the engine lid seal, by fixing it to the lid itself.
I used a self adhesive seal for the scuttle (in front of the screen), and Mexi clip-on for the rest. Snug as a bug (pun intended) :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts